so instead of buying a new guitar ill have to just settle for pickups

Ive got a 15 year old Epi Les Paul Standard and, im pretty sure its because of the pickups, if i put on the amount of gain that i want it feeds back and i have been told be a few people that the stock pickups feed back really badly.

So , now ive got to choose some pickups for myself. I play rock and i want something that can get nice overdriven sounds but something that is very warm. Like a slash sound. Heres my plan. I want a very bassy pickup on the bottom for my rhythm (You know when you turn the mid and bass up and gain and then have bridge pickup selcted with the tone on half-way- thats what i want for my rhythm tone) and a bit more treble on the neck pickup. Something for soloing and when we're playing a softer song etc. Im almost certain i want both humbuckers (unless someone persuades me to change my mind).

So, what kind of pickups do you guys reckon i should get. I want a very guns n roses/classic rock sounding pickup.

Also, i will be playing through a marshall (hopefully tube driven) amp prob. TSL 50W combo.

Thanks guys
Rolling it back, keeping it simple.

Are YOU from Curtin University?
If so, CLICK HERE!
Last edited by quadrophonic at Nov 17, 2007,
If you want a Slash tone, SD Alnico II Pro is your neck pickup. With the Marshall you should get a pretty spot-on Slash impersonation.
SD Alnico II's.
Nice pickups. And gives you that nice slash tone.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by quadrophonic
so instead of buying a new guitar ill have to just settle for pickups

Ive got a 15 year old Epi Les Paul Standard and, im pretty sure its because of the pickups, if i put on the amount of gain that i want it feeds back and i have been told be a few people that the stock pickups feed back really badly.

So , now ive got to choose some pickups for myself. I play rock and i want something that can get nice overdriven sounds but something that is very warm. Like a slash sound. Heres my plan. I want a very bassy pickup on the bottom for my rhythm (You know when you turn the mid and bass up and gain and then have bridge pickup selcted with the tone on half-way- thats what i want for my rhythm tone) and a bit more treble on the neck pickup. Something for soloing and when we're playing a softer song etc. Im almost certain i want both humbuckers (unless someone persuades me to change my mind).

So, what kind of pickups do you guys reckon i should get. I want a very guns n roses/classic rock sounding pickup.

Also, i will be playing through a marshall (hopefully tube driven) amp prob. TSL 50W combo.

Thanks guys

You've got that kind of the wrong way round...the neck position is naturally warmer and bassier whilst the bridge is naturally brighter ant treblier - there's little point in trying to compensate for those factors. All you'll end up with is a guitar with very little difference between the two pickup positions.

Your bassy tones come from the neck, treble tones from the bridge. I reckon a pair of Duncan Pearly Gates, or if you want a bit more versatility with regards to higher gain tones stick a Custom 5 in the bridge and match it with either a 59, Alnico Pro II or Pearly Gates in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull
You've got that kind of the wrong way round...the neck position is naturally warmer and bassier whilst the neck is naturally brighter ant treblier.

O.o
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
O.o

Yeah, thats what i thought too...

Anyway i said that i want a trebley sound form the neck and bassier sound from the bridge if you read it properly...

But anywho, i think i will go for the SD Alnicos if theyre within price range and see what else i want. I was originally going to have a phatter slash tone for my bridge pickup, would it work if i stuck the SD on the bridge and something like a Seymour in the neck?

If so, CLICK HERE!
I fixed it, I'm a spaz

Yup, I read what you put, and I still think you're going about it the wrong way. If you take the guitar out of the equation for the time being and just talk tones you want a treblier tone and a bassier tone. The best way to go about that is to build on what you've already gotm which is a naturally bassier tone from the neck position and a naturally treblier tone from the bridge. Yes, you can tweak it to a certain degree with different pickups and EQing but you can't override those inherent qualities.

And as far as I can tell the only pickups that have been referred to in the entire thread are Seymour Duncans! The Alnico Pro II is a good choice for the neck, but the Custom 5 is probably your best bet if you want something with more muscle in the bridge...The Alnico Pro II is a low output, sweet sounding, warm pickup, if you pair it with something hotter in the neck it'll struggle.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah i heard some sound clips of the alnico II and was thinking the same thing. But i think you are still wrong with the pickup thing. The bridge pickup is the one closest to the bridge that has the bassier tone and vice versa for the neck pickup. Thats how it is on all the guitars ive played unless the manafacturers change it round when they put pickups in. I was 100% certain but now im not sure

If so, CLICK HERE!
Quote by quadrophonic
Yeah i heard some sound clips of the alnico II and was thinking the same thing. But i think you are still wrong with the pickup thing. The bridge pickup is the one closest to the bridge that has the bassier tone and vice versa for the neck pickup. Thats how it is on all the guitars ive played unless the manafacturers change it round when they put pickups in. I was 100% certain but now im not sure

No...
The one closer to the bridge is more trebley. Trust me. steven seagull knows his stuff about pickups, I wire my own pickups into my guitars.

You may USE the bridge for rhythm, a lot of people do...but it's not more bassy.

I am 100% certain about this.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No...
The one closer to the bridge is more trebley. Trust me. steven seagull knows his stuff about pickups, I wire my own pickups into my guitars.

You may USE the bridge for rhythm, a lot of people do...but it's not more bassy.

I'm 100% certain that you're correct too
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by forsaknazrael
No...

+1
I suppose to a certain degree it depends on how you interpret sounds, quite often the bridge will sound more "muscular" due to being a higher output pickup with a tighter low end, whereas the neck pickup can sound a little more fragile.

However, if you look at the EQ curves there's always significantly more bass and lower midrange from the neck position, more treble and upper mids from the bridge. An extreme example is the telecaster which practically clangs in the bridge position, but it holds true for any guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Ok sorry guys. I always thought it was the other way round so im sorry, i have been corrected (by three or four people ) I think when i have always thought the when i was on the neck pickup i was actually on the bridge, or something anyway...

If i wanted a Seymour Alnico II for the neck (i think?) would it be good to have a higher output humbucker on the other pickup or will the Alnico hold its own?

Also, if you guys are familiar with how the les paul pickups work, im pretty sure that you would be, when its switched on 'rhythm' is it on the neck pickup or the bridge?

Thanks again and sorry guys

If so, CLICK HERE!
If you want to couple a SD Alnico II in the neck with a higher output bridge pickup, maybe you could put a bridge Alnico II in the neck position.? The bridge versions of the pickups are usually higher output than the neck ones without much change in tone.
It's all good. Better to learn now, ya know.

Quote by quadrophonic
If i wanted a Seymour Alnico II for the neck (i think?) would it be good to have a higher output humbucker on the other pickup or will the Alnico hold its own?

It's okay to have a higher output pickup, but you can also balance the output by adjusting the pickup heights.

Quote by quadrophonic
Also, if you guys are familiar with how the les paul pickups work, im pretty sure that you would be, when its switched on 'rhythm' is it on the neck pickup or the bridge?
Rhythm is the neck. Treble is the bridge.
Quote by quadrophonic
Ok sorry guys. I always thought it was the other way round so im sorry, i have been corrected (by three or four people ) I think when i have always thought the when i was on the neck pickup i was actually on the bridge, or something anyway...

Thanks again and sorry guys

The Alnico Pro II will give you sweet, warm tones from the neck with a lot of "space" in the sound. You'll also get a softer attack which gives the sound a lot of character. The neck is always naturally louder so you usually have a hotter pickup in the bridge anyway, and even if its techniccaly "too hot" you can compensate by adjusting the pickup heights. If you want a slightly hotter but still vintage sounding pickup you could put a Pearly Gates in the bridge which has a rawer sound than the AP2 but still has that vintage attack, if you want something that can cope with more modern tones then I'd recommend the Custom 5.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Thanks guys, i heard some of orianthi's work on www.myspace.com/orianthi

and found out that she uses prs dragon II pickups which i was thinking about getting.

BTW Orianthi is awesome and i love her tone.

Cheers

If so, CLICK HERE!
Quote by quadrophonic
Thanks guys, i heard some of orianthi's work on www.myspace.com/orianthi

and found out that she uses prs dragon II pickups which i was thinking about getting.

BTW Orianthi is awesome and i love her tone.

Cheers

Her tone comes more from her soldano than her pickups, I 'd think.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
+1
Pickups won't change your sound so much as influence it. If you're looking to nail her...

...tone then the long term aim is to look to a new amp, I wouldn't bother with the PRS pickups, they'll probably be a bit overpriced for what they are.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Yeah good point, well thanks for the help guys i might just go for my new amp first and then get new pickups if i want.

BTW im also gunna get an old second hand guitar and see if i can fix it up
Looking forward to it.

Cheers

If so, CLICK HERE!