If a sus4 has a 1-4-5-b7, how do I add the b3 to make it minor? Do I just add it and it's no big deal? Anyways, can you also give me the fingering? Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Blues Jr.
^ i believe if you add a 3rd it changes it from sus4 to add11..... im not 100% positive though. maybe one of the bigger theory buffs can confirm this (i know, i know, im a horrible person for not knowing my chord construction)
If it has a b3 it's incorrect to name it as you have, it'd be a Cm11 chord, not add11 since it has the b7.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
My sheet music says Cmi7sus4, so how else would I achieve this goal?
Gear:
Fender Blues Jr.
Well the sheet music is wrong, just play any chord with the notes C Eb G Bb (D) F. I presume that by giving the chord the way it's been written means no ninth hence the brackets.
Founder of Jaco society

i am tending to think your sheet is wrong.

a sus implies the lack of third..... and 'mi' implies a b3rd.

i think your sheet music is telling you to play a Csus chord, using the minor in reference to the 7th... i cant think how else it could make sense.

R 4 5 b7

C F G Bb
Hmm that's interesting that the charts are wrong. Oh well. Thanks for the help.
Gear:
Fender Blues Jr.
Is it just chord symbol, or are there any notes for it?
Founder of Jaco society

It has the name of the chord (Cmi7sus4) then the slash symbol, which implies to play the whole chord, but in this case I can't play it
Gear:
Fender Blues Jr.
Hm, I'd agree with most of the posts here: Sheet music is wrong or is using a strange notation.

I'm thinking the tones are, as you indicate, 1 4 5 b7. That's C7sus4. Putting the "m" (or "mi") in front of the seven means there's a b3, which means it is no longer a suspended chord. It becomes Cm11.
Looking for my India/Django.
Post the context (the chords around it) and we might be able to guess.

It's either a Csus or a Cm11 - because "minor 7th" is the classical name for a b7 interval, I could see a well intending publisher (but wrong in that they stray from standardized jazz nomenclature) notating like that.

the other option is asking your conductor to look at the score and see what notes are being played at the time.
Quote by sinan90
Well the sheet music is wrong, just play any chord with the notes C Eb G Bb (D) F. I presume that by giving the chord the way it's been written means no ninth hence the brackets.

I would personally omit the fifth as well as the nine.

I agree that the sheet music is weird.