Do any of you know good ways to learn how to play good bluesy type riffs/ songs?
Today i had a friend over and he was playing some blues and i was like wow, that sounds amazing. he was like not really but now i want to learn some blues stuff.
any help is appreciated.
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
killing floor, hey joe, pride and joy rhythm part, little wing intro, and some aerosmith/led zeppelin stuff. don't use distortiion and for the love of god get a tube amp.

also rhythm is more important than speed andtry not to repeat too much. tone is 75% in your fingers, and anything that you can't play well cleamn should not be used, hence my no distortion advice.when you are learning it slows the temptation of overplaying until you develop. then once you are good, light up the ts9 or crank the tube amp and go zz top or srv.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Last edited by rhakiath at Nov 17, 2007,
Listen to a lot of blues, learn some of the licks, and bam, you're well on your way. Blues is all about knowing the notes you're hitting, albeit it on a simple scale. Don't think it's an exact science. It's a very run-and-run playing style, but by far the most fun to play IMO.
Looking for my India/Django.
WEll obviously learn the dam 12 bar blues first! haha... but im curious as how to get started learning more too =S I don't actually listen to the blues, but i love playing the blues.... typically i listen to metal (salyer, pantera, municipal waste, etc) so listening to blues is tricky =/
Depends on what type of blues you want. But I think you probably start learning to play with your fingers instead of a pick if you already haven't.
Look up the tabs to "little wing", "castles made of sand" and "bold as love" (bold as love is THE greatest song ever) - all by jimi hendrix

Look at some of the re-occurring licks, common places for double stops and hammer-ons, etc.

Learn the blues scale and pentatonic scales.

Listen to a bunch of blues songs and just get the feel.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
Quote by bass wizard
Agreed, it has the best blues players on it!

I'm afraid he actually might be talking about the movie Crossroads with Ralph Maccio.

Don't do that (well, do watch it sometime, but merely for the epic end battle), instead watch Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival (the one you meant, bass wizard).
Quote by Jehuty
I'm afraid he actually might be talking about the movie Crossroads with Ralph Maccio.

Don't do that (well, do watch it sometime, but merely for the epic end battle), instead watch Eric Clapton's Crossroads Festival (the one you meant, bass wizard).

Why wouldn't you want to watch it? It's very entertaining
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
I'd say start by learning the 5 minor pentatonic scales and the blues scale. Also listen to Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, BB King, or any other blues artist that you like. Emulate their sound if you want, learn some of their easier songs.
Quote by johnny_tapia
Why wouldn't you want to watch it? It's very entertaining

I've seen it, but I merely said don't watch it to learn blues. It's definitely a fun movie.
Quote by Jehuty
I've seen it, but I merely said don't watch it to learn blues. It's definitely a fun movie.

Ah right ok. I wasn't seriosuly suggesting that you would learn the blues from it btw
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...