is it normal my wrist hurts?

When i play the guitar at the low E string with my first finger on the 3rd fret and my pinky on the 6th fret i feel a pain in my wrist...is it because i've never done this type of stuff or am i holding the guitar wrong? I find myself really reaching for the low e string with my pinky. Its kinda awkward for me to put my thumb between my index and middle finger on the neck. My thumb wants to raise up to the top of the neck.

argh
uh
its called guitar
it hurts
youll build strength
bar chords get tiring after awhile dude
you build endurance.
i don't understand how raising the guitar is the answer? am i holding the guitar right at the neck. i have to really stretch my fingers kinda.

Heres a better question ... whats the right form.

i hold the guitar at the neck with my thumb between first and middle finger (or i try to..some times my thumb raises up or goes on its side when i reach the E , and the A strings. Also when i play my elbow sorta tilts inwards to my body... should my arm (and elbow) remain straight?

I do not wanna practice bad form and make it a habit.. thanks
also i might build strength but if i'm holding this guitar wrong i could just get some nasty carpel tunnel in my wrist.
Quote by GoldenTrees
is it normal my wrist hurts?

When i play the guitar at the low E string with my first finger on the 3rd fret and my pinky on the 6th fret i feel a pain in my wrist...is it because i've never done this type of stuff or am i holding the guitar wrong? I find myself really reaching for the low e string with my pinky. Its kinda awkward for me to put my thumb between my index and middle finger on the neck. My thumb wants to raise up to the top of the neck.

argh
wrist pain is normal. It will eventually go away. Your muscles will get stonger and the next time you strech your fingers that far you will be A-OK. What I use to do is rest my elbow on my stomack so it felt more comftorble but that wont do anything. Just give it time. You will gradually build muscle. *note* try to relax your wrist. DO NOT OVER DO IT!!! *EDIT* Theres no such thing as holding the guitar wrong. You hold it the way it makes your feel comftorble. Unless your pointing the neck towards the floor or something like that. Just give it time. You can do it. I beleive in you Mi' Lad.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Last edited by MetallicGod07 at Nov 17, 2007,
Yeah you can heighten the guitar. I have done it and you want to find your favourite height. I hate the feeling of playing bar chords too long and then there is this pain. I get the pain in my actual hands, my wrist is usually fine.

But it's like anything physical - at the start it hurts heaps but as you train up and practice, you're muscles get stronger and stronger, allowing you to hold it for longer. Don't strain yourself. One of the best things to do is play bar chords for 2 mins, rest for 30 secs, then repeat for a while. This will see the best gains. Give it some time and make sure you consistently practice.
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler