So yeah, I went to reverse an older set of strings just to see how it would work, and I ended up with something like this....

The strings weren't exactly straight going through the stopbar tailpiece. They kind of veered off at different angles. I assume that isn't good... I mean, it's not terrible or anything that can damage the guitar, but should they be straight? Does it decrease tuning stability?

Also, what exactly DOES stringing them through backwards do? What are the pros/cons?

TIA!
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

some guys say it sustains the strings better. i just think it makes it harder to keep correctly tuned.

if it was better, they would have made a bridge copying it, imo.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
They make reverse stopbar tailpieces...

I'll just string it properly though. Thanks.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

I did this for a while, but didn't notice a difference really
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Do you mean wrap over the stopbar?

I used to do it, held tuning slightly better, then i got decent machine heads = no more trouble
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

I lulzed.
I've tried it a few times and found it decreases sustain some which would make sense. The major difference I got was it lessens the string tension which makes vibrato/bending easier. Then comes in the tone factor....

Page did it often, I believe Duane Allman was even doing it before him.
Zakk Wylde does it too.

I tried it after having seen it on here and on various guitars.
Seems warmer. Could just be me though.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
+1 to the easier bending. It also helps prevent string breakage.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!