i have a peavy raptor exp plus. it has a blue stained finish. im wondering what type of wood it is. the grain is consistent of a hardwood, ie that it flows from front to back and sides, unlike a laminate. peavys website/owners manual doesnt say what type of wood it is. does anyone have this guitar and have an idea?
Do you have a high resolution picture of it? I tried looking on Google, but the images are pretty crappy. The couple I saw looked like agathis to me. Might even be plywood, but you probably can't tell if there's a burst on it.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
I'd say a very cheap Alder or something... Although if they're trying so hard to disguise what wood they DO use, presume the worst.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
It might even be pine with veneers over it who knows. Nobody can really say for sure until you either strip the paint off the body or atleast take a peak into the cavities of the guitar. That should give you a pretty good idea of what the guitar is made from. I have a strong suspsicion that it's plywood though.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
the end grain on the inside of the cavities is very curly/fuzzy. not a smooth cut like a hardwood. i get the feeling its plywood. but judging from the grain on outside, its hard to believe its plywood. a layer of veneer would be difficult to bend around the tummy cut and edges without seeing a seam, or a change in grain.

sorry, i dont have access to my digital camera.
Quote by chagmaier
the end grain on the inside of the cavities is very curly/fuzzy. not a smooth cut like a hardwood. i get the feeling its plywood. but judging from the grain on outside, its hard to believe its plywood. a layer of veneer would be difficult to bend around the tummy cut and edges without seeing a seam, or a change in grain.

sorry, i dont have access to my digital camera.

Actually, it's very, very, very easy to get a seamless join with a vaccuum press, tons of guitars are veneered this way, some you wouldn't even expect to be. If it looks like a solid guitar from top to bottom then assume it is. I hardly doubt its a singe piece of wood though, it's got to be atleast 2-3 pieces...
Well it sure as hell isn't pine because pine is way too soft to be a tone wood. It's probably alder.

EDIT: If the neck is a bolt-on, take it off and look at the cavity--If there are little stripes (layers), then it's plywood. If you can't take the neck off, take a pickup out and look in that cavity. If you see no layers, rest assured it's solid wood.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by Invader Jim
Well it sure as hell isn't pine because pine is way too soft to be a tone wood. It's probably alder.

EDIT: If the neck is a bolt-on, take it off and look at the cavity--If there are little stripes (layers), then it's plywood. If you can't take the neck off, take a pickup out and look in that cavity. If you see no layers, rest assured it's solid wood.

i believe some older teles had pine bodies. maybe i misread something
Quote by Invader Jim

It was a figurative speech...