Page 1 of 3
ok, so my friend and i got into an argument the other day. he says band like chevelle, deftones, tool, and the like all suck because they tune low but dont scream. he is a slipknot freak, but also listens to things like pink floyd, soad, and bowling for soup (wtf?)...but since the bands he hates dont scream like corey taylor, he hates them and their 'pussy screams', which seems to be the only reason, even if listening to only one song. and that their tuning should dictate how they play. so ug, if a band is tuned to c, b, or a# (Chevelle, deftones, tool(sometimes) ) does that mean they have to be 'RAGGHHRGHRGR!!!' and sound just like corey taylor to be good? i think my friend is just single minded and kind of a dick about it...
Tell him he's a fag and listen to the good Stuff. Slipknot's a pussy's band. Job For a Cowboy is where its at, if you want screaming.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
Quote by homstar670
Tell him he's a fag and listen to the good Stuff. Slipknot's a pussy's band. Job For a Cowboy is where its at, if you want screaming.

job for a cowboy? **** that ****. The Gerogerigegege are the hardcorest stuff you'll ever hear.

/opinion
^^ If you like pig squeals...

Opeth is way heavier than Slipknot will ever be, and they play in standard (except the new stuff). And Mikael>Corey.

Edit:To homstar
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Job for a Cowboy blows.

Low tuning—Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Dream Theater, Evergrey, While Heaven Wept, My Dying Bride, Kamelot...all bands that use low tunings without screaming. I think they're heavy.

You're both idiots and have horrible taste in music.

/fact

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Okay, but Job For a Cowboy (Even if they're name is a little gay) Is still alot more hardcore than slipknot. And have waaaay better guitar playing. Screaming isn't always the best. I Like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd too.

Edit: Kamelot has screaming in some of there some if i'm not mistaken.

Edit Again: Opeth is awesome too.
Colors by Between the Buried and Me is the Best album ever
Last edited by homstar670 at Nov 17, 2007,
Sevendust uses low tunings and a few of their songs arent that heavy. plus you get a good mix of the cool screams every now and then from morgan rose, and the beautiful voice of lajon witherspoon.
Quote by ChurchNSkate
Job for a Cowboy blows.

Low tuning—Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Dream Theater, Evergrey, While Heaven Wept, My Dying Bride, Kamelot...all bands that use low tunings without screaming. I think they're heavy.

You're both idiots and have horrible taste in music.

/fact

If you're talking to me I'd like to point out that I love dream theater, petrucci and evergrey.

Believe it or not, some of us listen to multiple genres.

You sir, are an asshole.
Lawl, no.
I downtune on my acoustic....
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
get new friends man...seriously...im telling you this is just the first step next thing you know, you are arrested for homicide...ive been there its not cool

i knew this dude who was always the same then i moved and now im happy cause my new pals are awesome they listen to everything
Pelican plays in B Standard and plays some amazing softer material.

Lower tuning doesn't always mean heavier material. Hell, CCR tuned down to D standard a little and they weren't metal.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by TheClincher
ok, so my friend and i got into an argument the other day. he says band like chevelle, deftones, tool, and the like all suck because they tune low but dont scream. he is a slipknot freak, but also listens to things like pink floyd, soad, and bowling for soup (wtf?)...but since the bands he hates dont scream like corey taylor, he hates them and their 'pussy screams', which seems to be the only reason, even if listening to only one song. and that their tuning should dictate how they play. so ug, if a band is tuned to c, b, or a# (Chevelle, deftones, tool(sometimes) ) does that mean they have to be 'RAGGHHRGHRGR!!!' and sound just like corey taylor to be good? i think my friend is just single minded and kind of a dick about it...

cory sounds like hes a monkey dying on its own ****, he gets worst scream EVER award. he sings wonderfully, but his scream is just awful. and to say that if your tuned low you have to be heavy just shows how little your friend thinks. i mean you can be in standard and be freaking heavy, same as you can be in A# and be a pop punk band.
well, i mean like, he listens to other stuff...a lot of classic rock.. he just isnt open to my liking of music, even though i like his stuff. he thinks my music sucks because it is 'pretending' to be heavy. i was like wtf?
wth is wrong with all of you listen to THE FALL OF TROY the best vocals the best guitar player and songs are very creative ull never imgaine playing there stuff
heaviness is a state of mind, and matter of context

if your definition of heavy is "a low note" then the whichever band tunes lowest from E standard would be the heaviest.

but the trick to playing heavy is to dig in where appropriate, and to write songs properly, so that your heaviest chords and notes are in the right spots to make the song seem heavy, and not just like noise.

Metallica's early stuff was all in E standard, or Eb... it was considered majorly heavy for a long time... Slayer is in E or Eb too... most classic death metal is in D standard or Drop-C... then there's classic bands like Rush and Zeppelin that are undeniably heavy (but with pop vocals and hooks), and they rarely leave standard tuning, and almost never tune DOWN for heaviness.

then there's bands like the Goo Goo Dolls, who make wimpy-ass music, but they routinely tune to all kinds of crazy dropped tunings.

tuning is just notes and intervals. it's how you play that defines if you are heavy or not. And the other thing your friend needs to realize is that there is a wide range of what is considered heavy... just because he likes something totally extreme doesn't mean that other bands aren't heavy too.
Tell him he's a tool.

Bands shouldn't be there to compare, it's whatever appeals to you, don't listen to him if he doesn't like a band because "they tune low but they don't scream right" because that's not true, I believe that Chevelle are amazing in their own way, as well as tool. Screaming gets old, but Chevelle and Tool both know how to sing amazingly well, they also both know how to write good music. So to answer your question...

You friend is single minded, you don't have to scream to make good music. Low tuning doesn't mean you have to scream, I mean take Soilwork for example they tune to like drop B but their screaming isn't that intense, and they have been singing their choruses a lot lately. Keep listening to what YOU like to listen to, music is there for you to enjoy, not for you to rate and argue about.
Quote by rizo299
no

+1 I don't know, but that made me laugh

Quote by Dirtydeeds468

BUT DUDE! THAT'S MY OPINION! JUST LIKE PEOPLE HAVE OPINIONS THAT ALL BLACK PEOPLE ARE CRIMINALS! IT JUST CAN'T BE CHALLENGED BECAUSE IT'S YOUR OPINION!

WHEEEEEEEE.

Heja Sverige!
There's Zep songs in open tunings where some of the strings are down-tuned...

Weezer downtuned for 2 albums.

60% of QOTSA songs are in C standard.

Baritone guitars (Like Fender VI and Danelectro VI's) were orriginally intended to go along with the upright bass in country music.
Quote by metal4life592
^^ If you like pig squeals...

Opeth is way heavier than Slipknot will ever be, and they play in standard (except the new stuff). And Mikael>Corey.

Edit:To homstar

Opeth > Everything

Quote by frigginjerk

then there's bands like the Goo Goo Dolls, who make wimpy-ass music, but they routinely tune to all kinds of crazy dropped tunings.

Goo Goo Dolls > You
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Last edited by Metal_Rich at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by homstar670

Your a pussy, Slipknot is not a pussy's band.

Never piss off a maggot.
Quote by Birdy266
Otherkid your a genius

Silence is Golden But Duck Tape Is Silver

cream fanclub member 2

The Rabbi of Zeppelinism

Member #2 of the Red Sox Fanclub. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by otherkid

Never piss off a maggot.

Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by na10tbolt
There's Zep songs in open tunings where some of the strings are down-tuned...

that's true... but with the exception of When The Levee Breaks, Jimmy Page usually only did altered tunings for chording purposes (like making really complex chords in simpler grips, as in DADGAD tuning, or double drop-D), or to play slide (hence open E and open G)... and i guess there was slide on when the levee breaks, but the riffage was on the open tunings too, and the song was even slowed down to lower the pitch to open F on the album release.
Quote by TheClincher
ok, so my friend and i got into an argument the other day. he says band like chevelle, deftones, tool, and the like all suck because they tune low but dont scream. he is a slipknot freak

i think my friend is just simple minded and kind of a dick about it...

-he fails for thinking tool sucks, because even if your not a fan surely you can understand that they must have SOME sort of talent to them

-he fails for being a huge slipknot fan

-he fails for thinking low tuning must = screaming

be thankful you are not like your friend. he, my good sir, comes across as an idiot.
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
He listens to system of a down. They tune to C and they don't scream. Just tell him that.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
He listens to system of a down. They tune to C and they don't scream. Just tell him that.

but he considers them heavy. listen to their s/t album.
Quote by otherkid

Never piss off a maggotdick.

Fixx0rd
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Quote by frigginjerk
heaviness is a state of mind, and matter of context

if your definition of heavy is "a low note" then the whichever band tunes lowest from E standard would be the heaviest.

but the trick to playing heavy is to dig in where appropriate, and to write songs properly, so that your heaviest chords and notes are in the right spots to make the song seem heavy, and not just like noise.

Metallica's early stuff was all in E standard, or Eb... it was considered majorly heavy for a long time... Slayer is in E or Eb too... most classic death metal is in D standard or Drop-C... then there's classic bands like Rush and Zeppelin that are undeniably heavy (but with pop vocals and hooks), and they rarely leave standard tuning, and almost never tune DOWN for heaviness.

tuning is just notes and intervals. it's how you play that defines if you are heavy or not. And the other thing your friend needs to realize is that there is a wide range of what is considered heavy... just because he likes something totally extreme doesn't mean that other bands aren't heavy too.

+50, it's how you play the music, not how low you tune.
Ibanez RGT42FX
Vox AD30VT-XL

Quote by Attack
No. In Soviet Russia, Hell goes to you,
This thread is filled with so much ****ing stupidity I wouldn't know where to begin with shouting at you for being idiots

Grow up the lot of you
Most of this thread

Specifically anyone who made any form of insulting, ill-informed and opinionated comment

edit:

For example

You said this:

Quote by TheClincher
and then he listens to bowling for soup and claims it is amazing.

Therefore

You're an idiot
John Mayer has an acoustic version of Neon that's tuned to drop C, and a Catholic Nun wouldn't consider that heavy.
Quote by GiantRaven
Most of this thread

Specifically anyone who made any form of insulting, ill-informed and opinionated comment

OH NOES! SOMEBODY STATED THERE OPINION IN THE PIT!

you say everyone is an idiot, and then fail to see the irony in that statement.
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
Page 1 of 3