Ok, I was looking up some stuff on physics (yep i'm a nerd like that) And I found this little snippet about a huge particle accelerator in the making, called the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), that could have potential for causing a world disaster.

this is the actual quote from wikipedia

Quote by Wikipedia
Though the standard model predicts that LHC energies are far too low to create black holes, some nonstandard theories lower the requirements, and predict that the LHC will create tiny black holes[8][9], with potentially devastating consequences. The primary cause for concern is that Hawking Radiation - a postulated means by which any such black holes would dissipate before becoming dangerous, remains entirely theoretical. In academia, the theory of Hawking Radiation is considered plausible, but there remains considerable question of whether it is correct.[10]

Other disaster scenarios typically involve the following theoretical events:

* Creation of strange matter that is more stable than ordinary matter
* Creation of magnetic monopoles that could catalyze proton decay
* Creation of a strangelet

Thoughts? and oh yeah, wtf is a stranglet
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Dude we, as the Pit, must use this to take the world hostage for a large sum of money and we will move to the moon where we won't die.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Dammit nevermind I just realized the guys will largely outnumber girls and well I'll most likely be left out of getting a girl
wait... so, what would be the danger in creating an overly STABLE type of matter? would it like, envelop the world in its non-reactivity?
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
wait... so, what would be the danger in creating an overly STABLE type of matter? would it like, envelop the world in its non-reactivity?

that's what I think it means. kinda like building a wall we can't destroy
If you can play music with enthusiasm and an honest effort, then no matter how flawed, noisy and unclean the music is, you are a musician. If you play just to be the best, you are not a musician, nor are you worthy of any musician's recognition. - me
Its actually old news. Im doing a Physics degree (first year atm) and know a little bit about the LHC. My university actually designed some of the detectors, I dont know the details, but theres a big poster about it. Really interesting stuff, especially when you start thinking what it could mean. Our universe is made up of protons and neutrons, fairly light particles which are stable in most cases, but there are many different versions of these possible with the LHC, we could be looking at supersolids which are heavy and extremely strong.

edit: forgot to mention this. One of the main reasons for the LHC is to try and find whats known as the Higgs Boson (or Higgs Particle) which is said to be an invisible particle which is the cause of gravity, if this is correct, then the much saught after Grand Unification Theory will be completed taken as fact.
Last edited by l3vity at Nov 17, 2007,
ah. so there's the possibility of creating something so dense and indestructible that it could

a) break through the earth's crust, leaving a hole for magma to spurt out of
b) create its own gravitational field, throwing the earth's orbit out of whack and sending us into a new ice age
c) send the sun and planets hurtling toward us, causing the planet to be bombarded with other planets while simultaneously being burned in a towering inferno.
^I think the point is that if things go wrong, there won't be much of the Earth left, we'd all be screwed.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Quote by l3vity
Its actually old news. Im doing a Physics degree (first year atm) and know a little bit about the LHC. My university actually designed some of the detectors, I dont know the details, but theres a big poster about it. Really interesting stuff, especially when you start thinking what it could mean. Our universe is made up of protons and neutrons, fairly light particles which are stable in most cases, but there are many different versions of these possible with the LHC, we could be looking at supersolids which are heavy and extremely strong.

edit: forgot to mention this. One of the main reasons for the LHC is to try and find whats known as the Higgs Boson (or Higgs Particle) which is said to be an invisible particle which is the cause of gravity, if this is correct, then the much saught after Grand Unification Theory will be completed taken as fact.

Ok so you will be our evil scientist to build the black hole thingy maflagger.
Dude, EVERYONE knows that every mad scientist on the planet went extinct after the Berlin Wall came down, and had no reason to be truly mad at any massive cause anymore.

But, yea, that does sounds a little earth shaking.

No pun intended.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I hope no one tries that at home.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
their particle colliders, these particles are so small that a black hole made out of them will have relatively little strength, the big space black holes are made out of giant stars infinatly larger than these particles and have much more mass, these particles have negligible mass so it shouldn't be a problem

But that is just my theory
Quote by Rocking-Rob
their particle colliders, these particles are so small that a black hole made out of them will have relatively little strength, the big space black holes are made out of giant stars infinatly larger than these particles and have much more mass, these particles have negligible mass so it shouldn't be a problem

But that is just my theory

right, but If i remember my theoretical physics right, Some black holes have the potential to gain energy the more they consume, which is why if hawking radiation is wrong on the microscopic scale, we are all screwed