I'm looking into getting an analog recorder, but I'm undecided about which one to buy. Anybody care to give me their suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Moody, I have to disagree. Analogue tape gives you the possibility for even cooler sounds than a computer can produce. I'd recommend any Tascam recorder, it's a great brand. Of course you'll need some preamps and mics as well. Good luck with your venture, I hope you realize how awesome tape can be.

I have a digital setup myself, but there's an ancient 4-track tape machine that I use some times.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Why do you want an analog?

some people think analog sounds better.

8-track analog recorders are worth buying for a studio IMO but I don't know much about them so I can't recommend any.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by altgrunge

like Muphin said, analog gives a rich and cooler sound than digital. My old 4-track is pretty much unusable, so I'm looking to upgrade to an 8-track.

Quote by Muphin
I'd recommend any Tascam recorder, it's a great brand. Of course you'll need some preamps and mics as well. Good luck with your venture, I hope you realize how awesome tape can be.

I have a digital setup myself, but there's an ancient 4-track tape machine that I use some times.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Quote by DanteR*
Concerning the digital vrs. analog debate, check out this video http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/video/212-audio_files.html

Cool video. I'd use a pure analogue setting if I could afford it, but digital home recording is so much cheaper, and easier.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by altgrunge

analog holds a certain tone that just cant be replicated with digital, and modern musicians stress quality of sound over quality of music, far too often.

I personally prefer analog but cant really afford the various side costs.
I'd love to see some of you take a blind listening test to distinguish between digital and analog. The truth is that Analog is higher quality than digital, but the vast majority of peoples ears just aren't developed enough to hear that difference. I don't doubt that Steve Albini or other legendary producers who have stayed true to analog can hear the difference, and I don't question their motives for sticking with it. However, I have nothing but doubt for the average consumer who goes on about how much better analog is than digital. Digital recording is freedom, and with higher and higher sample rates and bit depths, you're not really missing out on any quality or trueness by going with digital.
Quote by big crouton
I'd love to see some of you take a blind listening test to distinguish between digital and analog. The truth is that Analog is higher quality than digital, but the vast majority of peoples ears just aren't developed enough to hear that difference. I don't doubt that Steve Albini or other legendary producers who have stayed true to analog can hear the difference, and I don't question their motives for sticking with it. However, I have nothing but doubt for the average consumer who goes on about how much better analog is than digital. Digital recording is freedom, and with higher and higher sample rates and bit depths, you're not really missing out on any quality or trueness by going with digital.

yeah, i don't think one is better than another, their two different things, I can tell pretty easily between the two though