I have serious trouble strumming power chords on the DAE strings because everytime i do it i hit the low E string.....i've been workin on the song "give it all" by Rise against and i cant play half of it cus im constantly hitting the low E string....im self taught so is there any way i can avoid this??
MY GEAR:
Fender Strat
Digitech RP250
Squier sp10 amp
I assume by DAE you meant GDA? To stop hitting the low E make you point finger touch it so it doesn't ring.
Accuracy when hitting only certain strings is something that comes with time, just keep working on it.

Muting helps too, but it's kind of a shortcut to true accuracy
ya my bad i meant GDA
MY GEAR:
Fender Strat
Digitech RP250
Squier sp10 amp
Quote by Superpartydude5
Muting helps too, but it's kind of a shortcut to true accuracy

I'm sorry... But there is no way ANYONE only hits those three strings while chuggin along some power chords. Muting is the only way to get only those three strings to sound out.

Yes, accuracy is important, and I only hit the bottom 4 strings, so the muting of the low-e string is pretty important still.
Practice. In the meanwhile, mute with a free finger or your thumb on your left hand.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by eXperiment63
I'm sorry... But there is no way ANYONE only hits those three strings while chuggin along some power chords. Muting is the only way to get only those three strings to sound out.

Yes, accuracy is important, and I only hit the bottom 4 strings, so the muting of the low-e string is pretty important still.

sorry but i can do it without looking and i can alt. pick between these pwr chords quite easily, its not impossible its all about practice and if you wait it out and try to learn without muting you will get it and realize you can play faster and can make quicker crisper more accurate changes, i know in some cases its comes down to "you cant do what you cant do" but with practice it will come
I let my "ponting" finger slightly touch the low e string, thus muting it. Might seem a bit tricky at first, but after a while it becomes second nature. Very useful to practice that as you use that a lot when doing barre chords with root note on the A string.
Washburn JB100 Customshop USA
Squire Stratocaster, Squire Telecaster, highway 1 tele,
FM65r amp, Marshall MS-4 & FM-15r
Washburn b-9 five string banjo, Eagle dreadnought acoustic. Art & lutherie AMI.