What's the best guitar I could get for $300 or less? I play heavy metal (Mostly 60's Rock and Metal to the 80's or 90's rock and metal. No the screaming kinda music we have today) and I'm looking for something with humbuckers and "maybe" Floyd Rose tremolo. The guitar I'm current considering to get is a Kramer Striker for $270.

The Kramer Striker:

Or this Epiphone SG:

OR This Epiphone Les Paul (It's a B Stock? What's a B-Stock?)

Please pick one of the guitars I selected OR PLEASE give another suggestion. I'll be open to many suggestions.
Last edited by rocker931 at Nov 18, 2007,
from those right there, gotta go with ibanez. metal and ibanez. kinda match there. but theres better ones out there for less than 300.
You may want to get this Kramer, as the FR Kramer will give you headaches. The Ibanez and SG are different beasts...IMO I'd go for the RG out of all of them, since the neck is much faster and it's just elegantly simple and straightforward.
Save up another $100 and get the Ibanez RG350 if you want a locking tremolo. Otherwise, any of those would be good except the Striker. I've heard nothing but negativity about current-generation Kramers. I know they USED to be awesome, but they seem to have gone down the toilet lately.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
The guitar is being bought by my Grandfather. It's a Christmas present and my parents told me, "Find a guitar up to $300. That's your Christmas present from him. Don't tell." lol

Why would the FR Kramer give me headaches? I love Floyd Rose. Except the intonation part lol.

I did like the GRG170 Guitar I was just shown. What kind of pickups?
Last edited by rocker931 at Nov 17, 2007,
Quote by alecj72450
Yeah, you have to love Ibanez.

The only thing I dislike is that a lot (And I've played many Ibanez's) of the time they go out of tune quickly. It really pisses me off!

Please reply with your opinions.
The Ibanez RG321 is a great guitar. 24 frets, bound fretboard, mahogany body... great quality for $300. You will likely want to swap out the stock pups at some point, though.
Epiphone Dot Studio
Peavey Valve King 112 (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)
Digitech Hot Head
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95
Elixir .010-.052
Quote by Paddles
The Ibanez RG321 is a great guitar. 24 frets, bound fretboard, mahogany body... great quality for $300. You will likely want to swap out the stock pups at some point, though.

Again, I'm not so sure about Ibanez guitars.
Quote by rocker931
Again, I'm not so sure about Ibanez guitars.

Well stop bumping your goddamn thread and go out and try one, then.
Epiphone Dot Studio
Peavey Valve King 112 (w/ Eminence Texas Heat)
Digitech Hot Head
Dunlop Cry Baby GCB-95
Elixir .010-.052
B-stock is usually used or blemished of some sort. Maybe some small dings.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by iSlash
B-stock is usually used or blemished of some sort. Maybe some small dings.

Yea, I'm probably not going with that one either as it's really not good for shredding and stuff. Even though it kills me to do so. I love that guitar. Maybe in the future.
I actually think I might go with the LP. It's got a money back guarantee.

Here's a list of stuff I play. What kind should I get for:

Van Halen
Led Zeppelin
Metallica
AC/DC
Some Shred Stuff
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Gun's and Roses
Pantera
Ozzy Osbourne

Stuff like that.
From what I gather, Floyd Roses at that price range typically are kinda crappy. Might want to go with a fixed bridge.

As for guitar suggestions, uh, Agile maybe?

http://www.rondomusic.com

^If your Grandpa has no problem with ordering stuff online (that might not even matter, I think they have a phone number), this site should have what you need.
Quote by Wulver
From what I gather, Floyd Roses at that price range typically are kinda crappy. Might want to go with a fixed bridge.

As for guitar suggestions, uh, Agile maybe?

http://www.rondomusic.com

^If your Grandpa has no problem with ordering stuff online (that might not even matter, I think they have a phone number), this site should have what you need.

My parents are ordering the guitar so yes they can get them online and is the place safe? Will I pay for something and not get it? lol
I like the Ibanez
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
ALSO, Here's the guitar that might have just one my vote lol. Thanks for the site Wulver, because if it weren't for you, I would have never found this amazing thing. It's like a Les Paul made for EVH! They have now 24 frets on it and Floyd Rose! And the price is like a gift from god! Amazing:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1273.html

I'm warning you, though, from all I've heard Licensced Floyd Rose bridges tend to be difficult to tune and are sub-par in general. You'll probably be best off with a fixed bridge: I value tuning stability over "dive bombs".
Quote by rocker931
The guitar is being bought by my Grandfather. It's a Christmas present and my parents told me, "Find a guitar up to $300. That's your Christmas present from him. Don't tell." lol

Why would the FR Kramer give me headaches? I love Floyd Rose. Except the intonation part lol.

I did like the GRG170 Guitar I was just shown. What kind of pickups?

1. The GRG has Powersound Ibanez pickups...they're the cheapest they have.

2. The FR will give you headaches when restringing if you are not 100% sure on what to do.

3. Stop bumping your thread. People are reading it, even if we don't reply immediately.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
1. The GRG has Powersound Ibanez pickups...they're the cheapest they have.

2. The FR will give you headaches when restringing if you are not 100% sure on what to do.

3. Stop bumping your thread. People are reading it, even if we don't reply immediately.

1. I'm not getting that anyway.

2. It's cool. I'm a fan of FR and I will just learn to tune and intonate it from websites and books.

3. Sorry, but I wanted to get the best opinions from the people with good guitar knowledge.

And Wulver, I appreciate the extra help but I'm sure the one I found is the one for me. I just fell in love with it! Is that site safe to buy stuff from?
Look a few threads below yours. "The Agile Thread" should have everything you need to know about the site, since they're the only place that sells Agiles.
RG321. I just traded a G-400 Goth for one with active EMG's and it's by far the meanest guitar I've owned.
I'm actually thinking about just getting a Agile AL-2000 with the Honey Sunburst Flame Finish or the white or black one. And I'm not getting any kind of Ibanez guitar unless someone says, "Hey, there's a Steve Vai/Joe Satriani Ibanez guitar for under $200." Like that will happen
Id get the kramer
Pretty much good for older metal stuff, and pretty old school ^^ but that ones a new version, still ive heard good things about it Lol
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by rocker931
Wow, start reading the thread. Ibanez sucks.

you sound very open minded

try an rg321 and i think your opinion may change
but if you dont want an ibanez epiphone may be your next best bet
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
You say you like Lynyrd Skynyrd eh? Go to P.E.I in charlottetown and go to sobers music shop and they have a lynyrd skynyrd guitar that says lynyrd skynyrd on it
wow this went into a really in-depth conversation i see...why dont u just get a Dean?
Quote by campbell92
Do you actually dance after each post you make?

...that would be so badass.

!!PanterA!!

Memeber #7 of the Altar Of Slayer!!