I go to a tiny college (with about 2 or 3 thousand people) and of all the people I know there, 27 of them play the guitar.

I don’t even know that many either.

I know the guitar is an amazing, versatile instrument, but goddamn. People have trouble finding singers, bassists, and drummers, but guitarists are a dime a dozen. It’s making it where it’s not as impressive when someone can play the guitar.

What do you guys think?
And I mean that in the best possible way.
only one of them will probably ever make something of their playing
ya i agree i had to look for 3 years for a bassist for my band but i had 4 guitar players to choose from to play rhythm with me, theres more guitarist than all others combined
Just do what you gotta do.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
agreed, but guitar makes the most sense. Bass is generally more boring than guitar (imo, no need for you bassists to flame me) and drums are a bitch to haul around, and are hard to play quietly as well. Keyboards are pretty much a nerd instrument, and singers have to be born with some natural ability.
Quote by SilenceIsGolden
I go to a tiny college (with about 2 or 3 thousand people) and of all the people I know there, 27 of them play the guitar.

I don’t even know that many either.

I know the guitar is an amazing, versatile instrument, but goddamn. People have trouble finding singers, bassists, and drummers, but guitarists are a dime a dozen. It’s making it where it’s not as impressive when someone can play the guitar.

What do you guys think?

Everybody drives cars.

Goddamn posers.
Yeah I agree. I don't like the fact that when you tell someone you play guitar, they assume that you're one of the idiots who says they can play just cause they have a Squier sat in their closet.
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Ha, I agree. I inspired at least 6 kids at my school to play the guitar. It's really annoying...They should do their own thing and play the drums or something. I've been playing the guitar for nearly three years now, and I started to get bored of it. So I tryed the drums, piano, and bass to see if i liked any of them more, buuut I think I'm gonna stick with the guitar...maybe
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Keyboards are pretty much a nerd instrument,

No, Keytars are. Keyboards are just plain awesome.
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
O O O O O O O O O O
yep we gotta a kill some of them...specially the useless ones...like the ones from fall out boy, good charlotte, simple plan...and also sam totman must die for i shall be the one to chug and play
Quote by SilenceIsGolden
I know the guitar is an amazing, versatile instrument, but goddamn ... What do you guys think?

I don't think the guitar is very versatile. I think it's acceptably articulate and has a decent dynamic range and the potential for intricate strumming patterns as with all of its family members, but it doesn't compare to the versatility of the piano.

Anyways, you should have seen this coming. Guitars are cheap, portable, and have a reputation of coolness. They are the most marketable instrument out there. We even make video games about them
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
only 3 out of the 27 will be any good and only 1 out of the 3 will not be doing it soley to impress girls.
It's a bit like that at my school really, there's like 25 guitar players (theres only like 600 people at my school) but most of them are still around 12, and most of them will just give up and stop by the time they're 18 because they're not really into it.
well, put it this way. There are more people out there that arent as good as you
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by sum_ugly_man
yep we gotta a kill some of them...specially the useless ones...like the ones from fall out boy, good charlotte, simple plan...and also sam totman must die for i shall be the one to chug and play

haha, i like that...
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
agreed, but guitar makes the most sense. Bass is generally more boring than guitar (imo, no need for you bassists to flame me) and drums are a bitch to haul around, and are hard to play quietly as well. Keyboards are pretty much a nerd instrument, and singers have to be born with some natural ability.

are you calling stevie wonder, ray charles, axl rose, and the dude from bodom nerds?
and also you DO NOT need to be born with an ability to sing, everyone can sing, you need training
Maybe 3/4 of the freshmen at my HS can play guitar. out of those, maybe 20 or 30 at most are decent or good. the rest just started playing a year ago or this year. Its almost strange how many kids haul their guitars around, including one guy and his Razorback Explosion.
Quote by Bubban
No, Keytars are. Keyboards are just plain awesome.

thank you
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Quote by sum_ugly_man
are you calling stevie wonder, ray charles, axl rose, and the dude from bodom nerds?
and also you DO NOT need to be born with an ability to sing, everyone can sing, you need training

well sure, everyone can sing, just not necessarily well. some people's voices just will never have a desirable tone.

and I said the keyboards are PRETTY MUCH a nerd instrument. Like, ususally the people in high school who play keyboards are asians with 5.0 GPAs.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Everybody breathes.

Goddamn Posers.

See what I'm sayin?
Also never tell anyone you play guitar unless it is specifically brought up by someone else
Quote by qotsa1998
Maybe 3/4 of the freshmen at my HS can play guitar. out of those, maybe 20 or 30 at most are decent or good. the rest just started playing a year ago or this year. Its almost strange how many kids haul their guitars around, including one guy and his Razorback Explosion.

agreed. I realize that I was one a few years ago, but n00b guitarists just infuriate me. I don't think that you should be able to even tell anyone that you play guitar until you've reached a certain point of achievement.
Quote by FrozenSheep
1. Form a band with 27 guitar players
2. ???
3. Profit

Good old ???. If only I knew what it was...
Rob Schneider is... Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb! Rated PG-13.
Quote by AvengedThrice
True that. True that.
Methinks you pwned the thread dude.

Member number 8 of THE OFFICIAL UG TRANSFORMERS CLUB
Starscream
p.m. D. Rice to get number/ranking
Quote by joshsirjoshules
this is why i play keyboards, mandolin and other instruments in addition to guitar.
Same here, that way I'll always be in demand
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I think its an achievment in itself that kids discover music, guitar or otherwise.

Seriously, guitar isn't some kvlt instrument that only some people play. It's probably the most popular instrument beside drums or singing.
Let people do what they want. It just means you have to work at it instead of getting by on half-ass ability.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
i know how we can solve this...

i base what i consider a good guitarist mainly on knowledge of the instrument, because if you know what your playing and why your playing it that way, you can do tons of things with that just one things, like a scale or something, if you know it in and out.

So, what would solve the problem is that every person on the earth that owns a guitar takes a guitarist test. and if you fail, your guitar gets smashed by one of the people that passed on stage..lol...and then you have to get a tattoo on your forehead stating that you were a guitarist to get girls. Seriously, most of them just play to attract ladies, so they learn like one or two songs...with tabs no doubt.

So yeah..that would take out over half of them..lol
Quote by gravensuicide
i know how we can solve this...

i base what i consider a good guitarist mainly on knowledge of the instrument, because if you know what your playing and why your playing it that way, you can do tons of things with that just one things, like a scale or something, if you know it in and out.

So, what would solve the problem is that every person on the earth that owns a guitar takes a guitarist test. and if you fail, your guitar gets smashed by one of the people that passed on stage..lol...and then you have to get a tattoo on your forehead stating that you were a guitarist to get girls. Seriously, most of them just play to attract ladies, so they learn like one or two songs...with tabs no doubt.

So yeah..that would take out over half of them..lol

I can see it now. Spectacled drivers ed- like man with a clipboard. 13 year old with a dime t- shirt and a BC Rich Warlock.

Man: "Alright, young man, I'm going to need to hear an E minor chord."

Kid: "LOL wut's a kord? Their so not METAL!!!" *abuses rock horns*

*smash*