Hey everyone. My girlfriends grandmother has Alzheimer's, and I'm just wondering, are people with this disease still aware of the now? I know they can't function well and loose memory, but do you think that they still have a thought process and points of thought in the present? (when I say the present I mean an exact point, not connected points over a period of time.)

thoughts?
R.I.P Bellamy
Feb. 6th. National Bellamy Day -Remember the day the pit was one.

SET UP:
Epiphone G-400
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Squire

Marshall MG Series 10CD

Boss ME-50
My grandfather died from it. They really don't know what is going on. My grandpa couldn't really walk up stairs. Eventually it will get so bad that they don't even know who their children are, etc. It's very sad.

It progressively gets worse over time. Like they will just forget about things such as where they put their keys during the first stages of it. It deteriorates the mind, and eventually kills them by getting rid of the brains ability to knowing how to breathe.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
My grandma had it too... she died too.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead
My grandma had it too... she died too.

It's quite sad. My grandpa was a good artist and he enjoyed golfing too.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
mine too, she just got diagnosed like last month
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
my great aunt had it, she died a couple of months ago, it does get progressivly worse over time. but they are making new cures for it, so less people will suffer hopefully
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Good question...

My grandmother is suffering from this, actually. When I see her, it seems like she's aware things are going on, but doesn't really know what they are or who the people she's with are.

And yeah... like IMABBALLPLAYER said it's really sad and a horrible disease.
Ya. my grandma has it too.... I like to scare her because she doesn't remember when i did it, so i do it like every 10 min. it's reall sadd..
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
Both of my grandparents had it.. They did seem have a thought process until it got bad enough so that the disease killed that part of the brain. =\

To the person above me, you're an asshole. -.-
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
Quote by LPDave
Ya. my grandma has it too.... I like to scare her because she doesn't remember when i did it, so i do it like every 10 min. it's reall sadd..

wait... you like to scare her? that's really mean.

Quote by senor_penguin
my great aunt had it, she died a couple of months ago, it does get progressivly worse over time. but they are making new cures for it, so less people will suffer hopefully

Hopefully they develop a cure soon.

I'm really sorry for anyone who knows someone who has died from it.

Alzheimer really does seem like one of the worst ways to go.
R.I.P Bellamy

SET UP:
Epiphone G-400
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Squire

Marshall MG Series 10CD

Boss ME-50
I always used to call this "old timers disease" for some reason. anyway, My 6th grade teacher had it, and had to retire. When I was in 6th grade, she didn't show any signs of it, but when I was in 8th, it got progressively worse.
UG'S THRASHOHOLIC DRUMMER
WRECK YOUR NECK WITH A PASSION FOR THRASHIN
Last edited by metal overlord at Nov 17, 2007,
My grandfather currently has Alzheimer's. We're looking at nursing homes. He's already in one, but it sucks, and he barely can talk. He can barely walk, he doesn't remember me, or hardly anyone else. It's really sad. They have a very short though process I think. The now for them being instants. Kind of like über ADD.

(To TS)My condolences to your girlfriend and her family.
Last edited by Leperaffinity01 at Nov 17, 2007,
But for real, my grandma has it, and she forgets everything in 10 seconds, and she'll say it over and over and over and over, my family is being torn to **** because of the fighting over her...
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50

Quote by druz15_UG
my grandma has alzheimers and one minute she'll be asking her son who he is and if she has met his parents and then the next minute she'll be telling him how much he weighed when he was born.
Whose idea was it to ruin the delicious combination of peanut butter and jelly by adding bread?

Quote by Leperaffinity01

My condolences to your girlfriend and her family.

Yeah same here.

Thank you.

The worst of it is, her grandfather abuses her Grandmother and gets frustrated with her. It's really depressing.
R.I.P Bellamy

SET UP:
Epiphone G-400
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Squire

Marshall MG Series 10CD

Boss ME-50
My grandmother had that(along with *several* forms of dimentia).

It was hell. It's been already said, but it only gets worse over time. A sad thing to see someone go through.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
my great grandmother once yelled at me over lunch as I drank a bottle of arizona iced tea... how dare I drink booze in front of a church!! she'd never gone to church a day in her life either...

and i was 15...

they have thought process but it grows shorter the longer they have it. also they have good and bad days, so some days she doesn't know her own son, other days she knows me by name. I hope they cure it, its really sad.
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
Quote by Soadrocks925
Thank you.

The worst of it is, her grandfather abuses her Grandmother and gets frustrated with her. It's really depressing.

that's too bad. It's a disease that really affects the whole family.

Some study reported that it's closely linked to aluminum, which was used a lot back in the early 1900's for all sorts of things. Apparently when they do brain autopsies there's an extremely high concentration of aluminum in the brain that causes a cavity near the center. But I wouldn't know for sure.
Originally posted by TheBaron
I'm thinking you've got a beard...

Originally posted by Thornography
Okay well I want whiter teeth... and I would like to know if rubbing sandpaper on your teeth is safe or not.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
that's too bad. It's a disease that really affects the whole family.

That's true, i'm dealing with it now..
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50

Quote by druz15_UG
Yeah of course they do. The reason they become confused is that their short-term (and other) memory is really messed up. If suddenly you didn't know where you were or who anybody was you would most likely act the same way, without your reasoning skills being compromised.. of course in the later stages of Alzheimer's, those too are affected.
My Grandfather had it. I was the one who took care of him. He lost most of his motor skills, so he couldn't even open his own christmas presents. You could tell he was frustrated with himself, he knew there was a time when he could do it, but he just couldn't. The day after christmas, he got up to take a shower at 4:00 am because he was cold. He had a heart attack and fell. The water was pretty hot and he couldn't get up, so he was burned really bad all over his body. He died the day I went back to school after vacation. Yeah, it sucks.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
Another thing, I'm not sure if this happens with all Alzheimer's but the incontinence... That just makes it even more sad. So many of my grandfather's things ruined. I'm not trying to make lulz. It's an actual side effect (for lack of a better term)... ****. Now I'm bummed out.
I'm really sorry for all the moods this has just killed. I was just wondering if it was pointless to try and act normal and happy around someone with it. She doesn't really see the point in it, but I like to think that somewhere, all the way until her grandma dies, she has at least some feeling and thought process left enough to realize and maybe even appreciate the hope given off by optimism.
R.I.P Bellamy

SET UP:
Epiphone G-400
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Squire

Marshall MG Series 10CD

Boss ME-50
My grandpa used to race stock cars, but towards the end they had to take his keys and his truck away from him. Watching him ask why he couldn't use the truck was heartbreaking. To see a strong, determined man destroyed by his own mind is horrible.
"He can dance if he wants too, he can leave his friends behind..."

Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.
It's not pointless to try to be upbeat around someone with Alzheimer's. How would you feel if your memory wasn't what it used to be and everyone around you was gloomy? I don't mean the kind of fake cheery that can be seen a mile away but remembering good things and having a positive attitude. The memory loss affects people in different ways. My grandfather couldn't remember what he had for lunch, but he would remember that a particular relative had visited recently, and he always asked about my husband by name even when it had been over a year since my husband was able to go up north with us. He always knew my daughter, even though he only saw her every six months. And whoever said they know of an abusive situation, that person needs help now.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker