I have been playing through crap gear since I started playing guitar(epi SG special+spider 3) But for christmas I'll be getting a used crate palomino and I was wondering would a new guitar sound that much better than my epi with new seymour duncan pickups.
Depending on which guitar you get...

If you buy another guitar with medium output seymour duncans then it is going to sound about the same, but with buying a better guitar, it's likely that you're gonna get something that plays better as well.

And IMO, a guitar that plays great doesn't need the best pickups to sound amazing.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
IMO, the epi specials ( i have a les paul) sound pretty good if you play them through a good amp, but it also would not really be worth it to put new pups in the guitar, as it would not make THAT much of a tonal difference, my suggestion is play the SG thorugh the palomino until next chirstmas, then get a really nice guitar for chirstmas next year (thats what i did last christmas, getting a valvatronix, now im getting an american strat for chirstmas this year)
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
The Spider 3 is better than the crate. Don't listen to the assholes on here when they talk badly about line 6. They're decent amps, most pro artists use at least one line 6 effect or rack unit in their rig, plus they come with celestion speakers. I own a Spider 2, and have used a Spider 3.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by freshtunes
The Spider 3 is better than the crate. Don't listen to the assholes on here when they talk badly about line 6. They're decent amps, most pro artists use at least one line 6 effect or rack unit in their rig, plus they come with celestion speakers. I own a Spider 2, and have used a Spider 3.

You can't say the spider is better, that is your opinion. IMO, straight out of the box or whatnot, I prefer the spider's versatility. After you get a few pedals though, the crate would have the spider beat.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by freshtunes

lol... I've played both amps and the crate sounds 122131242345435 times better as any tube amp would. The only good modeling amp i've heard is the valvetronix.
Quote by SOAD_freak777
lol... I've played both amps and the crate sounds 122131242345435 times better as any tube amp would. The only good modeling amp i've heard is the valvetronix.

IMO, the Valvetronix doesn't sound great. The only reason I recommend it in what amp can I get for <$300 or so is because everyone else does, and I respect those that do (Slats, Dave Mc, etc) and their opions, and if 90% of the people on here like it, it can't be bad.

Modeling is great technology if you're willing to pay for its tonal quality. Check out the H&K Zentera or Line 6 HD-147, Vetta II.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
There are some nice modeling amps out there.... Valvetronix IMO are among the best....
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
As long as you can play WELL on your guitar changing your guitar won't make a significant difference compared to that of changing your amp. Granted if you're using extremely low-output pickups and you're trying to play metal, obviously a guitar change is in order. But other than that, as long as your guitar suits your playing style, you would be much better off (if you're unsatisfied with your tone) spending whatever extra money you've got replacing your amp and not your guitar, because unless you replace your guitar with something drastically different your sound won't change much.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by kobain666
There are some nice modeling amps out there.... Valvetronix IMO are among the best....

No those are still pretty weak, the best modeling amp on the market right now is the Hughes and Kettner ZenTera, of course it costs huge money. But it's worth it if versatilities the name of your game.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Its always Line 6 vs. Vox in moedeling amps. There should be a specific thread for the sole purpose of bashing Spiders, Vox, MGs.