Could you give me a summary or breakdown of what it's like; what they require you to do, what they required for you to get in. how much experience you really need to get in and what the general day's are like.

Just any important information...

I want to attend a college for guitar
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
You have to audition as well as fill out an application. They pretty much base it around your performance and past training.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by MedicreDemon
You have to audition as well as fill out an application. They pretty much base it around your performance and past training.

I have already filled out an application to Transylvania
Quote by TDKshorty
I have already filled out an application to Transylvania

And now you have to audition, no?

I believe Berklee(in Boston, mass) places you with a teacher suited to your style and abilities. it might be the same at wherever you're going to. if you took classes in highschool, have a private tutor and have been playing like 5 years you're practically a shoe-in.
Quote by MedicreDemon
And now you have to audition, no?

I believe Berklee(in Boston, mass) places you with a teacher suited to your style and abilities. it might be the same at wherever you're going to. if you took classes in highschool, have a private tutor and have been playing like 5 years you're practically a shoe-in.

I have a workshop December 1st and an audition March 14/15.

I'm only a junior but I've been playing since my freshman year so I guess by the time I graduate it should be about 4 years, maybe 4.5
but I'm failing HS for the first time ever...
Sweet, I started the end of 8th grade, I'm now a freshman so It'll be like 4 1/2 years playing

BUT; my school doesn't have classes for guitar, we have a guitar club with a teacher that gives lessons every now and then but still. Also I'm self taught and I'm about halfway thru Steve Vai's 30-hour workout. Is being self taught worse than being taught by lessons?
There is an advantage to being taught. It's like anything, you'll learn it easier and your teacher will teach you stuff that gives you a sort of curve and an easier take on learning something that might be hard for someone else
Quote by Grimpenguin
Sweet, I started the end of 8th grade, I'm now a freshman so It'll be like 4 1/2 years playing

BUT; my school doesn't have classes for guitar, we have a guitar club with a teacher that gives lessons every now and then but still. Also I'm self taught and I'm about halfway thru Steve Vai's 30-hour workout. Is being self taught worse than being taught by lessons?

Well, having a teacher is a nice thing to put down on your application but, as long as you can show you have knowledge of theory and you can play (Improv) then you're good.

Also, I'm not in a college yet(I'm a sophomore)but, I've done alot of research on Berklee(Which I can't imagine would be different from other music schools). They won't take SAT scores only SAT2 scores if it's related to your instrument or music in general. As long as you pass highschool you're ok, as they don't require any courses to be taken throughout your highschool career.

I plan on attending Berklee and like you guys I'll have been playing 4 and a half years with a teacher all four years.
Well, it wasn't guitar but when I was a music major, it was pretty intense.

You have to audition, and it's usually very competitive (depending on the school and such). Then you have to take classes for theory, ear training, piano, you have to be in an ensemble and take private lessons.

My days were generally 8:00-3:00 classes and ensembles, then time off to practice on my own and do homework. I took 10 classes my first semester and 9 my second.

What exactly do you expect to get out of this?

EDIT:
Quote by MedicreDemon
Well, having a teacher is a nice thing to put down on your application but, as long as you can show you have knowledge of theory and you can play (Improv) then you're good.

Also, I'm not in a college yet(I'm a sophomore)but, I've done alot of research on Berklee(Which I can't imagine would be different from other music schools). They won't take SAT scores only SAT2 scores if it's related to your instrument or music in general. As long as you pass highschool you're ok, as they don't require any courses to be taken throughout your highschool career.

I plan on attending Berklee and like you guys I'll have been playing 4 and a half years with a teacher all four years.

Most places you don't need to know any theory prior to attending. They'll usually have you take some sort of test to know where you are, but they have basic theory classes.

Most places that aren't conservatories (ie. attached to major universities, eg. Indiana University School of Music) need you to take the SATs and get good grades (you have to be accepted to the University to be able to be accepted into the music school).
Last edited by gibsonpenguin at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by Grimpenguin

Having an instructor is usually a good thing but being self taught can usually help with some things as long as you are motivated and listen to the right music. For example, a self taught student that listens to Megadeth, Joe Satriani, and Kiko Loureiro is generally going to be better than a student taking lessons in the style of Fall Out Boy.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Yeah, im a Junior now, i have been playing since the start of freshman year so 2 years+, I have a private tutor and im in the schools jazz band although i plan on studying a contemporary rock fusion thing at Berklee =]. I think as long as i do good on the audition i should be able to get in. Just pass highschool and and be good at guitar, although good grades dont hurt! And dont rely on just getting into Berklee examine all of your other options and/or fall backs! Mine is Culinary school, even after i go to Berklee im attending culinary school for job/financial security. Just be smart about your decisions guys.....
PANDEMIC GROUP

Slash is trash

I has golfclaps!
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

Quote by boreamor
Your avatar is the first thing that has made me laugh in a long time. I applaud you

Quote by superslash1994
Lmao, your avatar earns you a golf clap.
Quote by PerpetualBurn
Having an instructor is usually a good thing but being self taught can usually help with some things as long as you are motivated and listen to the right music. For example, a self taught student that listens to Megadeth, Joe Satriani, and Kiko Loureiro is generally going to be better than a student taking lessons in the style of Fall Out Boy.

But any decent teacher will encourage the student to progress and develop musically after they have learned the various techniques to playing one type of music.
You may not think that grades matter if you are applying for music, but they really do especially with scholarships and the like. Most colleges have a minimum grade point average that you must have to get in, and if you are failing, you really need to take it more seriously. They can give you some leeway if you are an amazing musician and have an amazing audition, but don't slack off on grades!
12 fret fury
I also play piano but that's besides the point I guess.

I guess I'm trying to secure my future as a musician, but I need to start getting good grades and such again

I used to have an A B average and my last report was F, 2 Ds and a C
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Well, it wasn't guitar but when I was a music major, it was pretty intense.

You have to audition, and it's usually very competitive (depending on the school and such). Then you have to take classes for theory, ear training, piano, you have to be in an ensemble and take private lessons.

My days were generally 8:00-3:00 classes and ensembles, then time off to practice on my own and do homework. I took 10 classes my first semester and 9 my second.

What exactly do you expect to get out of this?

EDIT:

Most places you don't need to know any theory prior to attending. They'll usually have you take some sort of test to know where you are, but they have basic theory classes.

Most places that aren't conservatories (ie. attached to major universities, eg. Indiana University School of Music) need you to take the SATs and get good grades (you have to be accepted to the University to be able to be accepted into the music school).

Oh, well that's a university. Berklee College is a music school so SATs don't apply. it says on their website they don't check SAT scores.
Quote by MedicreDemon
Oh, well that's a university. Berklee College is a music school so SATs don't apply. it says on their website they don't check SAT scores.

I understand.

But I'm also saying that Berklee isn't the be-all end-all for music schools. It is possible to get rejected from there.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
I understand.

But I'm also saying that Berklee isn't the be-all end-all for music schools. It is possible to get rejected from there.

I know, but it certainly is the best.....................in my opinion.

They have a fairly high acceptance rate (76%) and If I get rejected, I'll just go to community college for music.
Quote by swordsrkewl
Yeah, im a Junior now, i have been playing since the start of freshman year so 2 years+, I have a private tutor and im in the schools jazz band although i plan on studying a contemporary rock fusion thing at Berklee =]. I think as long as i do good on the audition i should be able to get in. Just pass highschool and and be good at guitar, although good grades dont hurt! And dont rely on just getting into Berklee examine all of your other options and/or fall backs! Mine is Culinary school, even after i go to Berklee im attending culinary school for job/financial security. Just be smart about your decisions guys.....

heh, getting into Berklee is tougher than you'd expect. They accept somewhere in the vicinity of 4% of their guitar applicants. I've been playing guitar for 10 years. I nailed Cliffs of Dover, did meh on the sight reading, and nailed the ear training at the audition and I was only accepted to the summer semester.
It all depends on what you're looking for.

I also love how people talk to me like I didn't apply and audition at 9 music schools.

EDIT:
^Yeah. Most places I know, the teacher on each instrument will accept between 1 and 5 students depending on the size of the studio.
I slacked off my freshman and sophomore years in high school (got like, 2.5 and 2.8 average in each years) but I'm doing way better this year and I'm taking two AP courses (one of them AP music theory). Do you think my ****ty grades in those years will hurt me significantly? Especially if I rock the socks off the SAT and ACT?
Quote by NorseGodofRock
I slacked off my freshman and sophomore years in high school (got like, 2.5 and 2.8 average in each years) but I'm doing way better this year and I'm taking two AP courses (one of them AP music theory). Do you think my ****ty grades in those years will hurt me significantly? Especially if I rock the socks off the SAT and ACT?

You'll want to take a lot of APs your senior year, but unless you're applying to IV league schools, it shouldn't hurt you too bad. A little, but you'll still be able to get into good schools. Keep your GPA above 3.5, nail those AP exams, and dont take a ton of easy classes your senior year. Also, go for at least a 1900 on the SAT. Do all that and you'll be able to get into pretty much any school other than the real toughies.
Quote by saxaxe
You'll want to take a lot of APs your senior year, but unless you're applying to IV league schools, it shouldn't hurt you too bad. A little, but you'll still be able to get into good schools. Keep your GPA above 3.5, nail those AP exams, and dont take a ton of easy classes your senior year. Also, go for at least a 1900 on the SAT. Do all that and you'll be able to get into pretty much any school other than the real toughies.

I already plan to take a bunch of hardcore classes senior year since I don't need to do especially well in them, I just need to pass (since they won't be looking at senior year GPA anyway). Its literally impossible for me to raise my collective GPA above maybe a 3.1, so that might be a problem unless you mean only junior year. I'm kicking ass and taking names this year, but all the ass-kickery in the world cant repair the stupid **** I did the previous years.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
I already plan to take a bunch of hardcore classes senior year since I don't need to do especially well in them, I just need to pass (since they won't be looking at senior year GPA anyway). Its literally impossible for me to raise my collective GPA above maybe a 3.1, so that might be a problem unless you mean only junior year. I'm kicking ass and taking names this year, but all the ass-kickery in the world cant repair the stupid **** I did the previous years.

If admissions reps see a consistent upwards trend in your grades, you should be fine. They do look at your senior year gpa though. Your college counselor will send off your final transcript, and schools can, and will, rescind your acceptance. It's happened to my friends. They find out as they're moving into their dorms that they are no longer accepted to the school. So watch that.
But yea, despite your ****ty grades in the past, if they're goin up, you should be fine.
Hell, I had a 2.9 my junior year and got into all the schools I applied to ('cept Berklee): Towson, Salisbury, Shenandoah, UDEL, York, and Villa Julie. But my SAT was kick ass haha. I got like a 2100, and my senior year, I ended with straight A's, two APs, and three honors classes.
where i go we are required to perform a class A (from highschool solo pieces) classical guitar piece and one other contrasing piece (mine will be on electric) for the audition...u of wisconsin-lacrosse
Quote by mr. cool
where i go we are required to perform a class A (from highschool solo pieces) classical guitar piece and one other contrasing piece (mine will be on electric) for the audition...u of wisconsin-lacrosse

wait, UWLAX has a guitar class thing?
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer