Page 1 of 2
That you don't need a half-stack/stack to play gigs? I mean, I understand 40W rips ass, but I mean, a person can get what they want, mirite?

What are your opinions?

I believe a 50 watt head is acceptable but anything over is a little ridiculous. Cabs usually never punch past 350 Watts (As far as I've seen. I barely check.) so you can't really go wrong there.
Quote by Say Ocean
People flame half stacks all the time, as if if you have one you have a tiny penis

Anything over 50 watt is ridiculous? I don't think so. Mine is 150

Touche.

So the basic ideology is get a full stack or get an amp?
The reason you often see people here recommending a small combo amp over a stack is because a lot of the musicians on here aren't gigging 2+ times a week, bedroom players, or occasionally jam with friends. There's nothing wrong with a bedroom player having a Mesa Road King with 4x12 Mesa Standard cabs in their room. Most people wouldn't see that as practical since that person isn't gigging. The choice is ultimately up to them. Everyone, maybe not everyone, but most people are in search for a good tone and whatever gets them closer to it, so be it.
ah it's more than just that.

most of the kids around here have the average budget of $400-$600 and don't know much about good tone. so of course they're gonna see a marshall and a halfstack in one item. or maybe that nice crate that's cheaper than the marshall but it's still a halfstack.

those are despicable items that some companies want kids to be suckered into.

so when we see "i want an amp, preferably a half-stack, i play metal, and i have $500" it's just a lot easier to say, "get off your high horse, and a good sounding combo is not gonna make your balls smaller than that mg halfstack."
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
im sorry i like to play my guitar ****in loud and a 30watt combo just don't cut it.

now on to the serious reason for a 100w halfstack:

i just want one. they look badass, they sound badass (the most important reason), they have a ton of headroom, and if i can get one instead of a combo, then why the hell not?
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
i use my half-stack for gigs, practice, and jamming.
MY MUSIC!

Quote by severed-metal

Strawberries are cool in real life, but in ice cream, they're like neighbour kids who live across the street from you who like to steal your virginity.

Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser C-6 FR, C-7 FR, C-8
ESP LTD MH-250 w/ EMG 81/85
and my friend plays gigs unmic'd with a 40watt tube combo. master volume is on 2.

doesn't matter if it's a half stack or not, if it's big and loud and sounds like ass...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Nov 18, 2007,
Play a VOX AC30 on full volume and tell me that doesn't cut it for you...

Yeah, they aren't metal amps, but it'll give you an idea of how loud 30 watts tube it.
Ben
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
That you don't need a half-stack/stack to play gigs? I mean, I understand 40W rips ass, but I mean, a person can get what they want, mirite?
I don't know what the aversion of some is to half-stacks (aside from the dreaded Marshall MG syndrome). They look bitchin' and they sound bigger. Plus, I f*cking hate combos. You're married to that amp/cabinet for life. If I start another thread asking ONLY about heads or cabinets, and one more person says, "Dude, get a combo," I'm going to f*cking scream. There's a lot of "we know better"-ness on this board, and often, they do know better. But goddamn, buy what you want—it's your goddamned money and your goddamned ears (just don't buy an MG head!), buy what YOU like.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 18, 2007,
I have a small penis and a big cab

Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
There's nothing wrong with a halfstack, pretty soon I'll own a Framus Cobra head and it'll be on my 4x12, I don't really gig right now, but it's cool as hell and I don't like my 5150 anymore.

UnsignedRecords hit the nail right on the head though as to why people say combos. Plus, even if you did have a decent amount of money to spend, with a head you have to buy a cab, but with a combo you don't, which means less money spent, and still a great tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by LEVEL4
I f*cking hate combos. You're married to that amp/cabinet for life.

Not really...

Ever heard of a speaker swap? Extension Cab? And if you don't like the amp part of it, then you can take your speakers and put them in the new combo that you could buy for the same amount as most heads.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Well if say, you desperately wanted an amp that didnt do any lower wattage versions/didnt have all the features of the higher wattage version that you NEEDED, then it would be acceptable to buy a 623845327438297 watt halfstack. At your own expense of course, i mean you're the one going to end up deaf and poor, in most cases id say go for the combo. Of course this is all in my own opinion. But id never buy anything over 50 watt valve personally. But I suppose it probably sounds different.
^ Maybe you should show them the 34,000,000 watter?

Quote by psychokiller99
im sorry i like to play my guitar ****in loud and a 30watt combo just don't cut it.

i just want one. they look badass, they sound badass (the most important reason), they have a ton of headroom, and if i can get one instead of a combo, then why the hell not?

A 30 watt valve combo is plenty loud. Loud enough to cause serious damage to your ears

As for sounding badass...I actually prefer the sound from the majority of 112 combos when compared to the equivalent head plugged in to a pair of 4x12s. Looks aren't really important. If a guitar was the best sounding guitar in the world, and felt heavenly to play, I really wouldn't care if it looked like this.

Anyway, on to my point. The reason (which has already been stated) is generally that you can get a combo for, say, £400, or the same amp in the form of a half-stack for £6-700. You have £700. It makes more sense to get a better combo, one that will cost you all of that £700, than to get the £400 amp that, because you want it to look 'badass', costs you almost double.
Well, I have both, and have played everything from Peavey practice amps, Fender Champ and 1x12 combos to 120 watt tube full stacks onstage. I now use a Fender Super R3everb (4x10 combo) and Peavey MX 120 watt into a Kustom 2x12 cab onstage.

Both combo and stack have their uses and advantages and disadvantages. Combos are lighter and easier to carry into a club, well unless you have a Super Reverb (86 lbs) or Twin Reverb (69 lbs) but usually the bass has less punch and will turn to mud easier.

Half stacks are heavier, my MX head by itself weighs more than a Twin Reverb, around 75 lbs I think, the Kustom cab (1967 model) is probably another 70 or so, and that's a lot of work loading up at 2AM. But the bass is tighter and generally more of it, doesn't get muddy if you really step on it, and this particular amp is freakin LOUD...I usually can't turn it up past 4-4 1/2 or so, but i use the Peavey for cleans and that leaves loads of headroom, plus the amp is still completely clean at 7. At which point your ears will still be ringing next week...

The Super Reverb is a great amp, 45 watts so it's not extremely loud, in fact just barely enough for most bands and sometimes I have to kick in the overdrive pedal to get a lead out so it's on top of the band and not lost in the background. But it's heavy, I use a dolly to get both inside when I gig.

I've also played 1x12 combo amps, as long as you have around 50 watts to play with a 1x12 combo can handle most bands, a 30 watter will too but sometimes it won't cut through a really loud band. The main difference is I like lots of bass, full and clean, and a lot of combos won't get there, which is the best thing about the Super Reverb.

So for me I have nothing against either, both have their uses, and even though my "half stack" is 120 watts, I rarely have it even half volume, it's fgor a really really clean sound and I get that with lots of headroom. The Super Reverb is also great, but it's for cranked up tube amp raunch n roll, which it does with flying colors.

It's all about what you want out of your amp. Combo is generally smaller and easier to carry in, stack or half stack is a lot heavier but generally has a better bass response. Both will handle the volume level provided the wattage is 30 or better for onstage. And for me it has to be tubes or I don't even bother, I look in back and don't see tubes, I move on to something else and don't bother to even listen to it.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by beckyjc
Plz buy it. Me and Denthúl are short on donuts.

I actually have some yummy, jam-filled donuts here. Sales have been good

I'll drop them off tomorrow morning. I'm pretty sure I have to pass your part of Wales to get to work. I'll even bring some of those fancy cream-filled ones, too. Just...don't put my name anywhere near an MG!

Especially not when it's part of that phrase
Quote by psychokiller99

This is an example of a person who goes for a halfstack because
Quote by psychokiller99
they look badass

This is the completely newbie view at gear- it looks good, therefore it simply must sound good, as we can see:
Quote by psychokiller99
they sound badass

But not all halfstacks do, and this is what n00bs can't seem to grasp- you cannot get a decent sounding halfstack with a very limited budget that many people have.

and as for this
Quote by psychokiller99

This guy has obviously not tried a valve combo, where 30watts valve will blow your eardrums and so I'm pretty convinced in saying that 30 wattts will "cut it"

Thank you psycokiller for a completely uneducated post of which I could base what I was saying upon.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
True. But I still don't want my name on it. I don't want to be publically associated with ripping people off and giving them horrible-sounding devices, lass.
Quote by beckyjc
Well, theyd only cost 5 donuts and giving you a handjob in an alley.

Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

am i the only one who prefer combo than half/full stacks?
i think half/full stack is ugly, but that's just me.
Quote by JackFlash19
A musician will work through bad gigs, rough relationships with bandmates, disagreements, and the like to further the success of the band.
Quote by beckyjc
Well, theyd only cost 5 donuts and giving you a handjob in an alley.

I'll just take the donuts...
I have no idea who Megan Fox is, to start with. And anyways, I'm a recluse. To get to this alley, I'd have to, like...go outside, when instead I could just sit here stuffing my face with donuts and spamming up UG
Ha. Curse my luck, eh? She's nice-looking, but I'm not particularly attracted to her.
i dont use a combo or a half stack, i use two Roland KC550s(flat frequency amps), and a PODxtLive as a preamp, then run that into a PA, or just Mic one of the Rolands. Sound guys like to Mic you anyway if you let them sense its gives them more control over the overall sound and balance with everything else. its a digital modelling setup, so im sure people are going to laugh but its just what works for me.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
Quote by MatrixClaw
There's nothing wrong with a halfstack, pretty soon I'll own a Framus Cobra head and it'll be on my 4x12, I don't really gig right now, but it's cool as hell and I don't like my 5150 anymore.

UnsignedRecords hit the nail right on the head though as to why people say combos. Plus, even if you did have a decent amount of money to spend, with a head you have to buy a cab, but with a combo you don't, which means less money spent, and still a great tone.

it's weird how some people just don't get it

yngwi3 was pretty dead on as well. as for becky... that is one attractive woman
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords

yngwi3 was pretty dead on as well. as for becky... that is one attractive woman

hah
Quote by Pookie6

Quote by uk.mace

Quote by Paleo Pete
Both combo and stack have their uses and advantages and disadvantages. Combos are lighter and easier to carry into a club, well unless you have a Super Reverb (86 lbs) or Twin Reverb (69 lbs) but usually the bass has less punch and will turn to mud easier.

I've also played 1x12 combo amps, as long as you have around 50 watts to play with a 1x12 combo can handle most bands, a 30 watter will too but sometimes it won't cut through a really loud band. The main difference is I like lots of bass, full and clean, and a lot of combos won't get there, which is the best thing about the Super Reverb.

It's all about what you want out of your amp. Combo is generally smaller and easier to carry in, stack or half stack is a lot heavier but generally has a better bass response. Both will handle the volume level provided the wattage is 30 or better for onstage. And for me it has to be tubes or I don't even bother, I look in back and don't see tubes, I move on to something else and don't bother to even listen to it.

I find a lot of 1x12 and 2x12 combo and cabs to have a tighter bass response than a 4x12. Maybe it's just your Twin Reverb, because my Legacy's low end definitely does not turn to mud as you crank it. The more you crank the Legacy, the smoother it gets. At bedroom level the low end isn't very prominent, as you crank it past about one and a half the low end really comes into play. Then again, the Legacy has a very clean, articulate lead channel. I'm sure there are other amps that turn to mud as you crank them, but that heavily relies on how you EQ the amp and how much gain you dial in.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED

What are your opinions?

I believe a 50 watt head is acceptable but anything over is a little ridiculous. Cabs usually never punch past 350 Watts (As far as I've seen. I barely check.) so you can't really go wrong there.
Never really answered your post directly . . . I think it's really fun to experiment with different cabinets. If you can afford it, get a 1960AV, then put something stupid fun like an Epi Valve Junior through it. That's the fun of cabinets, IMO. As far as Wattage goes, you're right on track there. I bought the 6505 only because it was the cheapest head that had enough gain for metal. I DON'T NEED 120 WATTS! I only need a fraction of that. I so wish the 6505 had a 60-Watt mode (still too many Watts) built-in, instead of making me pay FJA $550 to do it. I'd much prefer a 30-Watt head that I could drive hard, but there are very few low-Wattage, high-gain heads on the market, and none from the major-branded players.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I haven't heard the Cobra, but I played a Soldano SLO, and loved it. I still bought a 6505 head anyway, and I really like it. What exactly DON'T you like about your 5150?

Quote by mcw00t
Ever heard of a speaker swap? Extension Cab? And if you don't like the amp part of it, then you can take your speakers and put them in the new combo that you could buy for the same amount as most heads.
Yes, but you're still married to the CABINET. I just think it's odd that anytime someone mentions a 4x12, four guys with combos jump all over him, then start comparing the size of their dicks. I have a 6505 head and a preamp. I have both a 4x12 and a 2x12. I can switch 'em around at will. Combos just aren't for me.
American HM Strat | LP Studio
Soldano Avenger w/DeYoung OT | Mark IV rackmount | DC-3 rackmount | Single-Recto

Last edited by LEVEL4 at Nov 18, 2007,
Page 1 of 2