My guitar has an EMG 81 in the bridge, but that's it. It's really not versatile at all. I'm for sure installing a second pickup, but I want to make it myself. What I'm asking is what kind should I make? I want to be able to get the tonal clarity of shredding but with the drive of hard rock, and not too much harshness. Do I go humbucker, or single-coil? Any additional information would be great.

Oh, and for anyone who knows a LOT about pickups, should I use the steel-lug method, where the coil of wire is wrapped around a screw magnetized by a magnetic rig underneath the pickup, or just wrap the coil around the magnets straight off? If I should use the first method, how do I do it?

EDIT: Sorry, this post is kind of half and half. The bottom half should be in gear customizing/building, and the top should be here. I just made a question I already posted in gear customizing more specific for that bottom paragraph, so...
Last edited by Firequacker at Nov 18, 2007,
is your guitar an Alexi ESP or summit?

i'd like to help, but sadly i know nothing of gear building.
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
Quote by Firequacker
My guitar has an EMG 81 in the bridge, but that's it. It's really not versatile at all. I'm for sure installing a second pickup, but I want to make it myself. What I'm asking is what kind should I make? I want to be able to get the tonal clarity of shredding but with the drive of hard rock, and not too much harshness. Do I go humbucker, or single-coil? Any additional information would be great.

Oh, and for anyone who knows a LOT about pickups, should I use the steel-lug method, where the coil of wire is wrapped around a screw magnetized by a magnetic rig underneath the pickup, or just wrap the coil around the magnets straight off? If I should use the first method, how do I do it?

Leave the pickups to the pros unless you want some crap that sounds like ****e
Personally my favorite in the bridge is a Seymour dimebag upside down..... Its great for rythum, but not for leads... Build your own pickup? Thats a hoot... there are people with 50 years of experience..... You think you can do better? You evidently don't even know a Humm from a single coil....
Official UG Asshole, Relax, turn around and take my hand
You truly ARE the official UG asshole.

Just answer my question, and I'll be on my merry little way.
I have the EMG 81/85's in my gothic Explorer..... The Seymour Dimebags blow them away totally. Im putting a Seymour '59 and a Pearly gates in my NJ warlock right now... I'll let ya know what I think of them.... but the EMG's? I find them LAME
Yea, I'm hating EMGs right now. Except for the really slow, palm muted riffs... But I can't solo for **** with 'em. So if I were to BUY the pickup, what should I get?
Quote by Firequacker
You truly ARE the official UG asshole.

Just answer my question, and I'll be on my merry little way.

You want to hand wind your own pickups with no experience?
Talk to a guy who sells O C Duff pickups..... you can find him on the net. just do a google.....
I bought my hand wound singles for my Strat from him... He knows the **** by heart. If he'll take the time to talk to you.... He'd likely tell you the same thing I just did.
Its an art, not a beginners deal.
lol. is this thread going anywhere???

I think you should look into humbuckers. I believe generally single coils overdriven too much into shred territory would sound 'fizzy', and a bit harsh on the treble sounding thin. If you really want single coils, you can get a mid boost preamp in ur guitar or inside a pedal, but why would u if you can get a humbucker and not worry about it? I've seen couple of single coil shredders, most notably Yngwie Malmsteen, but they're stacked humbuckers, which aren't true single coils.

EDIT: i don't know where you live, but look:
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Tools:_Pickup_winding_and_repair/Schatten_Pickup_Winder.html
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Kits/Humbucker_Kit.html
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Pickups:_Kits/Parts_Kit_for_Strat_Pickup.html

and i don't think it's worth it either.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by Firequacker
Yea, I'm hating EMGs right now. Except for the really slow, palm muted riffs... But I can't solo for **** with 'em. So if I were to BUY the pickup, what should I get?

That TOTALY depends on what you're playing.... You want Angus Young? Dimebag in the bridge upside down..... Every pickup sounds and does different things... try them all... Free works best.... Seriously..... I have 9 Guitars, all have different pickups, what works for one style doesnt work for another.... If you have to settle on one? pick the one that sounds best for what you play, but you have to try them.
lol. is this thread going anywhere???

I think you should look into humbuckers. I believe generally single coils overdriven too much into shred territory would sound 'fizzy', and a bit harsh on the treble sounding thin.

He already has a respectable humm..... an EMG 81......... I don't personally care for them, but a lot of people swear by the 81/85's..... My Explorer has them in it.......
My Strat has a set of O C DUFF hand wound singles in it, for Nirvana? Neil Young? CCR, even some Clapton..... its perfect......... Different pickups for different styles.... but a good set of humms, and singles pretty much covers it.
I have a set of handwound singles from Rock Monkey Guitars. very respectable pickups from the UK using vintage spec parts. I think it's a better of a 'vintage spec' alternative to yours. i got mine for $170 a set.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
I have a set of handwound singles from Rock Monkey Guitars. very respectable pickups from the UK using vintage spec parts. I think it's a better of a 'vintage spec' alternative to yours. i got mine for $170 a set.

If you like them yeah.... they are. Thats why I have 9 guitars and every one has different pickups..... If youre lucky you might get what you want out of 2 guitars..... Other than that you fake it..... But it doesnt sound right... Depends on what you play...... if you play just your own style? One set of pickups will do it....

http://www.ocduffpickups.com/
yea i saw his website. it's similar to RMG. except the pictures and the prices.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Firequacker

Check out your buds guitars, (If they have anything with good pickups)
You have a Guitar Center near you? See what they have for used stuff with aftermarket pickups..... Tell them you want to try the pickups because youre looking to buy a pair....... To tell you the truth unless you spend a couple grand on a new guitar you're going to get cheap pickups..... But a $300 guitar with a good set of pickups and a good setup sounds just like a 2 grand guitar... The wood and the set necks matter.... but not that much. To me, the pickups make the guitar......
Have you ever tired a guitar with an EMG 85 in the neck, and used THAT for shredding? It sounds incredible. That's what I suggest. 81 in the bridge IMO isn't very good for shredding. It's VERY good for metal rhythm, but when it comes to playing really fast, really high on the neck, 85 in the neck, baby.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
look at the seymour duncan black outs. heard good things about them as compared to emg's.