Hi guys. I'm new at putting in pickups, but i thought i did an alright job when i put my new pickups in(http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfspbproplov.html.) However, now i get a lot of hum unless i am actively muting the strings. You can't really hear it when i'm playing, but if i sotp and don't hold my hand on the strings over the pickup, it hums. Any ideas of why this is/ solutions to it? I already checked the tutorial thread and i'm not sure the potting is my problem, unless that's the only possible thing it could be. Any help is appreciated guys, thanks!
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Proud player of the Air Guitar.
could it be grounding issues?
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
I've tried re soldering my ground wire a few times. am i just incompetent, or is there something else that might be causing it?
Quote by AngelOfHatred
We're like "It's bass guitar..." and she was like "No, it's a normal guitar, but the strings a filled with air, so the strings are bigger, it gives it a deeper sound. It's called an air guitar."

Those pups are probably a lot hotter than what you had in there. If there are noise sources around, like fluorescent lights, computers, etc. you're probably picking up more noise. The noise goes away when you touch the strings because your body conducts, and provides another path for the noise to be dissipated before it's amplified. You might need a noise gate.
Alright. that makes sense (my house is full of computers and flourescent lights,) since the sound does get quieter in the garage. And they do say they're overwound to 16k, which seems like a lot (Is it, how much a lot if so)

I was thinking of getting a noise gate anyway, so i'll just up my search frame. Good thing Christmas is coming. Anyone know how good the EHX Hum Debugger is, as it's the one iw as looking at.
Quote by AngelOfHatred

Last edited by Nebblacktip at Nov 19, 2007,
Hey, as an update to the thread. I believe Losenger was mostly right, but i did some more research anyway.

(From wikipedia) P-" pickups (the "P" refers to the original Fender Precision Bass) are actually two distinct single-coil halves, wired in opposite direction to reduce hum, each offset a small amount along the length of the body so that each half is underneath two strings.

Turns out, i had the pickups flipped so that they were going the same direction. If i remember my physic and electronics classes right, this means they were actually amplifying each others hum. Got it flipped back and now the hum is within tolerable allowances. I'll still probably get a noise gate or two (The new p-90 i put in my guitar has a little hum, but the tone is worth it,) but it's no longer mandatory. Thanks to everyone who offered help, i'm very grateful. I figured i'd post this in case anyone else has the same problem.
Quote by AngelOfHatred