I just got a Line 6 Spider II 210. I got a great deal on it. People always bash Line 6, but I think it sounds great. I looked and it got great reviews. I have played a Spider III, and it didn't sound as good. Do people just not like the Spider III series, or are they just jumping on the Line 6 hating bandwagon or what?
....get back to us in a month or so..*ahem* I told you so...

On a serious note, I used to have, well still do have but not in use, a Spider II. Loved it at first when I got it, cool effects, thought it sounded nice. But god damn did it get old quick. Its just so flat and metallic at times and the tone is just horrible overall...bleh....Now I got a Mesa F-50 and Im one of the happiest mofos around.

Sorry man, your amp is garbage...
No, they're just simply not good for the price. If they were cheaper I don't think people would complain, but for the price they cost, there's others in its range that are much better.

It's alright at lower gain stuff, but the insane channel is just disturbingly disgusting, the most horrible tone I've ever heard.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The insane sucks, I agree. I got it for $150 (well, my parents did for an early b-day present), you can't beat that for a 120w amp. But it sounds pretty nice if I mess with it, just not on insane. I wanted to shoot myself when I switched to insane and started playing.
The IIs I tried were awful, I've yet to try a III but I'm guessing they're just as bad, maybe even worse.

Line 6's higher end amps are fine actually: if you're not after any one sound but instead want a huge variety the Veda II amps are amazing. But if you're after the tone of say, a Fender Twin Reverb, or a Mesa Double Rectifier, then that's what you want, not a Line 6.

Admittedly $150 is a great buy for a 120 watt (2 X 12 I'm assuming?) volume-wise but you'll tire of the tone. I considered the exact amp you have when I bought my Crate RFX-120... Guess why I went with the Crate... It has genuine tone and voicing, rather than digital simulations of said elements...
i used a spider half stack in band situation before, it wasnt a good experience. It lacked power cutting though, sounded too digital, so much so, our ears were hurting due to the sterileness at high volumes. The distortion lacks definition and overall, just lacks dynamics. From then on, I'd never touch a Spider again.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Question: Will I get a good tone if I buy a nice distortion pedal and put the amp on clean? Right now it's fine but everyone says I will get tired of the tone, so I'll take your word.
from my experience, spiders dont take pedals very well. Being an digital amp modeller itself, it'll make the distortion from pedal sound kinda sterile.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Have you ever played a tube amp before? if not play one and hear the difference then you know why most people don't like the spiders
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Quote by Masonpwiley
I just got a Line 6 Spider II 210. I got a great deal on it. People always bash Line 6, but I think it sounds great. I looked and it got great reviews. I have played a Spider III, and it didn't sound as good. Do people just not like the Spider III series, or are they just jumping on the Line 6 hating bandwagon or what?

no no no no.

its the people who just bash line 6 who are jumping on the bandwagon. but its the people who recognise that line 6 make some decent products but dislike the spider who are giving a genuine opinion. the problem is its just a cheap practice amp (which is also a little overpriced for what it is) that for some reason is sold in halfstacks and 120 watt combos. the modelling is cheap sounding. if it was marketed as the cheap, average practice amp it really is, nobody would have a problem with it.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
gutted

That's all I have to say.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Yeah I got it in June and was so happy that I upgraded my crappy 10W Fender and couldn't stop loving it. Now I think it's a piece of crap no matter what guitar i put in it
My stuff:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Spider III 75W w/ FBV Express
Squire Affinity Series Strat
Fender Frontman 15W Amp
Fender 57 Mini Twin Deluxe Tweed Mini-Amp
Quote by Hardrockbryan
Yeah I got it in June and was so happy that I upgraded my crappy 10W Fender and couldn't stop loving it. Now I think it's a piece of crap no matter what guitar i put in it

Oh well, time to upgrade
Quote by Blompcube
no no no no.

its the people who just bash line 6 who are jumping on the bandwagon. but its the people who recognise that line 6 make some decent products but dislike the spider who are giving a genuine opinion. the problem is its just a cheap practice amp (which is also a little overpriced for what it is) that for some reason is sold in halfstacks and 120 watt combos. the modelling is cheap sounding. if it was marketed as the cheap, average practice amp it really is, nobody would have a problem with it.

+1,000,000
I'm upgrading if I get the money to this december
My stuff:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Spider III 75W w/ FBV Express
Squire Affinity Series Strat
Fender Frontman 15W Amp
Fender 57 Mini Twin Deluxe Tweed Mini-Amp
if this is your first amp, or your first amp up from a 5 watt starter, then you got a pretty good deal, it's going to be giggable (should you wish to subject people to such tone..) most people (non-guitarists/musicians) wouldnt know the difference anyway so its all good if you're happy right now and it's not going to start clipping either. You will eventually want a better sounding amp, and I do hate the spiders, but I still say it's a good deal
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I heard a wise drummer say to me once "If it sounds good too you, it sounds good."
In the end it comes down to whether you are happy with the amp, if so, great! enjoy
www.myspace.com/funkmecrazy
Stevie Ray Vaughan and John Bonham's number one fan

"how do you make a 15 watt solid state amp sound good?"
Quote by p o e
step one, insert screwdriver into speaker
step two buy a good amp
Honestly, I played a Spider 3 HD150 the other day, and I loved it! It was good for MY playing style. If you think it sounds good, then awesome, people talking crap on others equipment is very irritating. It's all in the musicians taste. Personally; I have a Peavey Milestone 4 bass. Everybody hates it, but I love it. It's beautiful and plays well.
Anyways, I love it, got a great deal, and it was an upgrade from a Fender Frontman 15g (ugg). It got good reviews and it sounds good to me, so I just wanted to know why people hate it so much.
If you like it, its all that matters
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Ugh. Listen you retards who like spiders. It may be good for those who are tone deaf, but after 4 months of owning it you'll hear why it sucks. I went out and bought a metal muff for it and it sounds 1000000000x better now! Btw, I put it on twang red setting when using the metal muff so it gives a nice full sound. IT does sound a heck fa lot better, but it's still not a tube!

To whoever bought it. That is not that bad of a buy! Just get a used Metal Muff or Metal Zone you'll be set. Trust me and use the red twang setting. IT has a nice reverb and fuller sound!
Line 6 Spider II's are horrible. What's with the freaking 'insane' channel? It is the most disgusting distortion in the history of guitar amps.

I'm sorry, but you bought a bad amp. You should have got a Vox AD15VT or AD30VT for around the same cash. They are miles better.
How can you be retarded for liking an amp? It's personal taste. I went into guitar center, and played amps for several hours, and the only one I liked more than the spider 3 was the JSX 2x12 (yeah...the name makes me cream). But it's far to expensive, so I'm getting a spider 3. There's nothing wrong with it.
Quote by idahoimmortal
How can you be retarded for liking an amp? It's personal taste.

True. Calling other people retarded is retarded.

Quote by idahoimmortal
I went into guitar center, and played amps for several hours, and the only one I liked more than the spider 3 was the JSX 2x12 (yeah...the name makes me cream). But it's far to expensive, so I'm getting a spider 3. There's nothing wrong with it.

If you like it - good for you. But it's already been stated what's wrong with it - it just doesn't sound too good. It's good for beginners who don't have much ear for tone, and for a cheap practice amp. But the half-stack version and the 120w version are stupid, because instead of those you could get a lot better amp (the TS did get a good deal on his amp, so it's not a problem).
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
I think the II's sounded better than the IIIs.
But... it's not much of a difference.
The crunch channel especially makes me vomit. "Plexi on fire", my eye!
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator