I've been playing with the acoustic and i've decided that the time's ripe to get an electric....

I have my eyes on these....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512496

Yeah, they're priced around 300$... Bcoz that's my budget.

Anyways, i have my doubts regarding the GRG170DX bcoz of the whammy bar. I've heard tons of ppl complaining about whammy bars. Stuff like they ruin the tuning of the guitar and stuff... Is it ok to go with an GRG170DX or should i get the RE2EX1?
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

what kind of music do you play?
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Im a beginner... Playing for 2 months. Used to play the guitar like a year ago. But had to give it up. I picked my acoustic again 2 months back(Duh!). I decided that i should get an electric as well bcoz im serious about learning guitar now than i was a year back...

Anyways, i'd like to get into metal once i shed my noobness...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

RE2EX1 FTW
-jumbo frets
-EMG's
-Wizard neck
-Fixed Bridge
All of this makes the RE2EX1 way more hardcore then that GRG
Quote by d. b. cooper
I listen to metal, therefore I do not have feelings...
Quote by Forgotmyid
Im a beginner... Playing for 2 months. Used to play the guitar like a year ago. But had to give it up. I picked my acoustic again 2 months back(Duh!). I decided that i should get an electric as well bcoz im serious about learning guitar now than i was a year back...

Get the rg2ex1 then!
Quote by del monte
I woud pick the rg2ex1.

I'd love to know why...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

Quote by del monte
Get the rg2ex1 then!

Uh... k

Anymore input ppl??
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

Ok, a few things here:

1) Both are Ibanez. Excellent choice. My Ibanez is my favorite guitar out of the 3 I own and hundreds I've played. You can't really go wrong with either choice. Ibanez makes incredibly versatile guitars; any Ibanez will be good for any type of music.

2) My brother has the GRG170. From my experience, the whammy bar is easy to tune and will hold its tuning quite well unless you pull a Dragonforce on it and start doing crazy divebombs and stuff.

3) That being said, I personally would rather have a standard bridge because I don't use a whammy bar in my playing style, and a standard bridge gives me better sustain. If you think you'll be using a whammy bar, then go for it, you'll still be fine.

4) The RG2ex1 has a little better pickups, great for a high-gain metal distortion; The GRG 170 still has ok pickups plus that single coil will give you a nice bluesy twang.

Bottom line, Ibanez for the win. Hope this helps!
TheBurningFish wrote:
I don't mean to generalise but I don't believe the average Coldplay fan is a massive musical theory nut.

FS/FT: Cort SP1 Stratocaster
Zoom GFX5 fx processor
Washburn BD40 amp
$100 each OBO
I'd go for the RG2ex1 since it has a fixed bridge, and just looks overall better quality.
Quote by emr_steelmech
Ok, a few things here:

1) Both are Ibanez. Excellent choice. My Ibanez is my favorite guitar out of the 3 I own and hundreds I've played. You can't really go wrong with either choice. Ibanez makes incredibly versatile guitars; any Ibanez will be good for any type of music.

2) My brother has the GRG170. From my experience, the whammy bar is easy to tune and will hold its tuning quite well unless you pull a Dragonforce on it and start doing crazy divebombs and stuff.

3) That being said, I personally would rather have a standard bridge because I don't use a whammy bar in my playing style, and a standard bridge gives me better sustain. If you think you'll be using a whammy bar, then go for it, you'll still be fine.

4) The RG2ex1 has a little better pickups, great for a high-gain metal distortion; The GRG 170 still has ok pickups plus that single coil will give you a nice bluesy twang.

Bottom line, Ibanez for the win. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input... Exactly what i was looking for...

Ofcourse, thank the others for their versions as well....

If there's anything more i need to know, plz feel free to tell me. Bcoz I'd love to know all that i need to know...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

Quote by Forgotmyid

this is the #1 reason people get bored.

if you want to play metal, play it. dont wait...there are plenty of judas priest/metallica/megadeth etc riffs that are easy as hell, sound good, and accessible to someone new.

I know this wasnt related to your question, but I thought id point it out.
K dude... I'll get into it as soon as i get my electric!
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

Here's my take on the thing.

With a 300$ budget, you won't be able to afford a reasonable Floyd. So, I'd recommend getting a fixed bridge for now or a great guitar with a shabby Floyd that can be swapped.

I recommend a JS series Jackson such as a Dinky hardtail.

Also, about playing metal, don't get a guitar aimed for that. At least for now.
You're not gonna be able to play thundering riffs and lightning solos as soon as you pick up the electric guitar. And when you realize that, you're have a guitar that doesn't quite pull off metal and doesn't quite pull off the rest of the musical spectrum. I'll have to say it again, wit 300 bucks you will not be able to get the best wood or the best pickups.

And guess what, having said that, I recommend a Jackson.

---

But I'll gladly comment your picks.

If you want to get a Ibanez, get the RG2EX1. It's very similar to a Dinky.
About the GRG, I'm not sure what I should think about it. Going back to what I said earlier, floating bridges in this budget aren't very reliable.
Last edited by CanCan at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by Forgotmyid
I've been playing with the acoustic and i've decided that the time's ripe to get an electric....

I have my eyes on these....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512496

Yeah, they're priced around 300$... Bcoz that's my budget.

Anyways, i have my doubts regarding the GRG170DX bcoz of the whammy bar. I've heard tons of ppl complaining about whammy bars. Stuff like they ruin the tuning of the guitar and stuff... Is it ok to go with an GRG170DX or should i get the RE2EX1?

the GRG isnt very good so out of those to get the RE2EX1 but for that price you can afford an RG321MH.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
I have the GRG and it isn't very good, it has some annoying problems, the bridge isn't the greatest but as said I does hold whammy tuning pretty well, the input jack comes loose easily, the action out of the box was way off for me, which meant I had to have it high which in turn gave me intonation problems. The stock pickups aren't that great either.
Quote by nvranka
this is the #1 reason people get bored.

if you want to play metal, play it. dont wait...there are plenty of judas priest/metallica/megadeth etc riffs that are easy as hell, sound good, and accessible to someone new.

I know this wasnt related to your question, but I thought id point it out.

yeh like he said dude! like "living after midnight"-judas preist! has to be one of the most easiest riffs ever! but its affective and pretty damm metal! i love metal myself thats how i know! and also enter sandman i learnt that when i was 7 for ****s sake lol get into it asap! dont wait around!!!
Quote by AussieVesti
What amp will you be getting?

This guy has a good point, does your budget include the amp as well as the guitar?
Quote by archerygenious
This guy has a good point, does your budget include the amp as well as the guitar?

Uhm... No. I'll be spending not more than 100$ on an amp.

But i haven't started looking through the amps as yet....
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

A little help would be appreciated in choosing the amp... The electric guitar forum has way too many threads.....
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

I'd say a Ronald Microcube. Should be able to pull of the sounds you're aiming for. And cheap too.
Hmmm.... K thanks. Will look into it. What about marshall amps?
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

Quote by Baishen
I'd say a Ronald Microcube. Should be able to pull of the sounds you're aiming for. And cheap too.

Never heard of Ronald.

do they sound like a Roland?