I don't know why but recently when I start up my computer, the taskbar at the bottom of the screen seems to keep flashing off and on. Sometimes it even just does this for a while then stays off. Also as the taskbar disappears, so do any explorer windows I have. I've run spyware, adware and virus checks and it still continues.
Does anybody know why this is or how to fix it?
Thanks in advance
Does it come back after startup, or does it permanently disappear?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Did you try ctrl alt del, file, new task: explorer.exe. That should work when your task bar shuts down and doesn't come back. I'm not sure if it'll help with your problem though.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
Quote by Kailoq
Did you try ctrl alt del, file, new task: explorer.exe. That should work when your task bar shuts down and doesn't come back. I'm not sure if it'll help with your problem though.

Yeah that brings it back up but it still carries on disappearing afterwards.
Quote by McCheese
nope its off. It has nothing to do with what I'm doing it just does it of it's own accord.

Oh okay, just checking

google didn't really help.

Quote by McCheese
System restore? Doesn't that mean I have to reinstall everything? Forgive me if I'm wrong but I don't know much about computers

Edit: and also it started last night.

Nope, system restore brings your computer back to a point in the past. Normally the computer makes a save point every day or so. You'll only lose stuff you installed after the last save point. I'm pretty sure normal files are unaffected. If you do notice something important went missing though, you can always undo the system restore.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore

Hm, seems like my documents is safe.
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
A System restore reverts all your programs and settings to the way they were when the restore was created. The computer usually creates one every day or every few days. If you revert the system to how it was before, it should solve the problem

Start > Programs > Accesories > System Tools > System Restore
Quote by Kailoq
Nope, system restore brings your computer back to a point in the past. Normally the computer makes a save point every day or so. You'll only lose stuff you installed after the last save point. I'm pretty sure normal files are unaffected. If you do notice something important went missing though, you can always undo the system restore.

ok thanks, I'll try that.
I would never use system restore - it can bugger your system beyond belief. I'd turn it off as well to save memory and disk space, it's a pointless idea.
Every inside out badger has a silver lining.
Oh, and just reinstall Windows, it only takes about half an hour anyway.
Every inside out badger has a silver lining.
there is this program you can download that has a bunch of things to fix your taskbar
i had to use it once to fix mine which completely dissapeared
i can't remember where it is though, maybe someone else knows?
yeh. there is a mode on yor taskbar that makes it do that, i think thats whats happening there. is reappearing when you put ur mouse to where it's ment to be?

make sure ur taskbar options look something like that.
Quote by musical donkey
cyclobs you are demented..... in a good way
Last edited by cyclobs at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by cyclobs
yeh. there is a mode on yor taskbar that makes it do that, i think thats whats happening there. is reappearing when you put ur mouse to where it's ment to be?

make sure ur taskbar options look something like that.

Like I said, it's doing it of its own accord and yes I have the same settings as in that picture.
ok thats weird.. you could try one of those programs that i saw someone suggesting before. or trying a virus scan or just reinstalling. thats some things i would try anyway.
Quote by musical donkey
oh ok.. well i can't reli help you out anymore, you can try looking on google to find a program that works but i couldn't tell you if any of them would work.
Quote by musical donkey
all i can think of is retrying the program from the link above (kellys-corner).
it worked for me so keep trying and see if you can get it to work
hmm.. that would explain the taskbar missing for no reason.. but y it's doing that i wouldn't know.. do you know your way to the event viewer?
Quote by musical donkey