My amp is the vox ac15. My guitar is the ibz rg350. I have a boss distortion/overdrive pedal.

As you can see my amp is a pretty clean sounding one. The only source of proper distortion i have is my pedal which i reckon is a bottleneck for my sound. When i turn it on i loose the body that the sound once had. The sound is harsh and focuses on the upper midrange/treble. i dont really care if it is fuzz, distortion or overdrive. i would preferably have a fuzz pedal because i love that tone although i think it might be hard to find one that doesnt sound harsh. In fact the most important thing to me in the pedal is that it should sound rich and NOT harsh.

i mostly play satch type stuff.

i am currently looking at the fulltone ocd, fulltone ultimate octave and the zvex fuzz factory. although, the fuzz factory sounds too low fi from what ive heard so far.

any respones would be much appreciated and as you can see i am new here!
Hmm, Solasound MKII Tonebender clone perhaps? I built myself one not too long ago, love it! Quite a smooth and creamy fuzz, still can get quite heavy sounding though if you want it to. Listen to How Many More Times by Led Zeppelin, great example of it.

There's lots of clones of it out there, here's one of top ones
http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/2005/02/stone_bender_mk.html

Fulltone Soul-Bender would probably be worth a look too.
OK, I'm going to be predictable and say the Big Muff Pi. It's lush
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
Germanium is the type transistor, tends to be smoother sounding than silicon although the rest of the circuit has alot to say whether it'll be smooth or not. Alot of the vintage fuzzes used germanium like the Tonebenders, Fuzz Face, etc....

You probably could find a Soul Bender on eBay by the way
well if it is smoother... germanium it is

hmm but which one.. all the fulltone germanium ones are discontinued. I am unsure about the zvex because it might be too low fi sounding for me even tho it is germanium.

big muff is silicon right?
Last edited by no_thing101 at Nov 18, 2007,
Look at the Keeley fuzz head, you can switch between germanium and silicon clipping, its really nice

Also, fulltone 69's are on ebay but might be expensive, look at the fulltone octafuzz, that is an incredible pedal, it doesnt use germanium trannys but its smooth as hell, its also swithcable between octave and fuzz, and just fuzz.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
ive listened to a sound clip of the octafuzz and i liked it. But then ive listened to another one and i dont? it sounded way too spitty. I would have liked it to be tamer and less spitty. I like it textured but i dont like it when it gets harsh.

i havent made up my mind yet but where would be a good place to get one? i live in australia.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Nov 19, 2007,
also, i havent talked about distortion and overdrive much. what are the alternatives to the ocd? what are the options for distortion? i would like a medium amount of gain as im not looking for a shred pedal. i just want a chunky warm distorted sound that my amp cant quite achieve on its own.
ive been listening to soundclips of the fuzz factory. It can make some nice tones. Do you think its worth it if i wont be using the low-fi settings much? or are there better effects out there for the price?
i own an ac-30 and play satch, so we're in a similar boat.

To achieve a similar tone, i drive an overdrive unit (Barber Direct Drive) into a Big Muff. whilst the feedback and noise when not playing pretty severe, i can get some pretty cool satch tones- think "is there love in space?"

I suggest a big muff with some sort of support. I would also consider a keely-modded ds-1. i believe satch used them alongside a jazz chorus for most of surfing with the alien.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Hmm, Solasound MKII Tonebender clone perhaps? I built myself one not too long ago, love it! Quite a smooth and creamy fuzz, still can get quite heavy sounding though if you want it to. Listen to How Many More Times by Led Zeppelin, great example of it.

There's lots of clones of it out there, here's one of top ones
http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/throbak_electronics/2005/02/stone_bender_mk.html

Fulltone Soul-Bender would probably be worth a look too.

lol. you love that pedal don't you???

i must say. ToneBender is a thicker fuzz than the Fuzz Face. im gonna try modding it so that it gets a tonebender-like sound.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
lol. you love that pedal don't you???

i must say. ToneBender is a thicker fuzz than the Fuzz Face. im gonna try modding it so that it gets a tonebender-like sound.

Yup! I thnk I recommended it about 4 times already this week, really is among the top fuzzes IMHO.

Good luck with the FF. You probably could convert that into the MKII reissue pretty easily if you were looking for a Tonebender sound...

Quote by FunctionF2

To achieve a similar tone, i drive an overdrive unit (Barber Direct Drive) into a Big Muff. whilst the feedback and noise when not playing pretty severe, i can get some pretty cool satch tones- think "is there love in space?"

I suggest a big muff with some sort of support. I would also consider a keely-modded ds-1. i believe satch used them alongside a jazz chorus for most of surfing with the alien.

My only concern with the big muff is that it might sound harsh because it uses silicon transistors. Is this so? btw this is also the reason i am considering the fuzz factory more seriously than i would otherwise. it is germanium.
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Yup! I thnk I recommended it about 4 times already this week, really is among the top fuzzes IMHO.

Good luck with the FF. You probably could convert that into the MKII reissue pretty easily if you were looking for a Tonebender sound...

i don't like the word 'reissue'.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by FunctionF2

im not a fan of too much gain. i think one pedal is enough. big muff looks like a good idea although the fuzz factory has germanium trannies. Which has a smoother distortion?
Quote by FunctionF2

im not a fan of too much gain. i think one pedal is enough. big muff looks like a good idea although the fuzz factory has germanium trannies. Which is capable of a smoother (not cleaner) distortion?