Page 1 of 2
hey... Now I'm sure I'll get a new amp on Christmas. I know I have some time till Christmas but I want to play on it before I'll buy it so it needs time. I have a problem which to get. At first I thought about Epiphone Valve Standard but it's hard to get and it's only 15W. Then I thought about Fender Blues Deluxe but it's too expensive for me I think. Now I think only about 2 amps.

Epiphone Blues Custom

Peavey Classic 30

I need very good cleans, warm and bassy sounding cleans, an amp which works good with pedals, so in two words: John Frusciante. I'd like to get his tones, I mean his clean tone. I know it'll be difficult but tell me which of this two amps is better for my style (RHCP).

P.S. I think it's my last thread about amps
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Laney VC30 or PV Classic 30 would be great.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
The thing that makes me thinking about Epi better is that it has a switch between 15W(a) and 30W(a/b)... and it has two speakers in it...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Yeahh, I cant actually recall anyone ever being into the Epi amps par the VJ. So you'll have to try that one yourself and make a judgement call, specs wise, it doesnt look bad. But it aint exactly cheap considerin you could probably pick up an Orange Rocker as well as the AC30 over here for asimilar price.
Well... in Poland AC30 is almost twice a price comparing to Epi... so it's too expensive... I'll play on Blues Custom and maybe on Peavey... but I think if Epi won't be as good as I think I'll buy Peavey. Actually I'm pretty sure I'll buy Peavey

any other suggestions?
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
A Tube amp isn't ever "only 15w". They're extremely loud once they get warmed up, can outloud any equivalent SS.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
VC30 - Its cleans almost actually made me splooge.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
yeah... 15W tube amp is loud... but for the price of Vox I could get 30W Peavey for example.

VC... I'll have to play it...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Quote by Karol1701
yeah... 15W tube amp is loud... but for the price of Vox I could get 30W Peavey for example.

VC... I'll have to play it...

Do you need 30W, though?
I'm a communist. Really.
^ For any sort of cleans at gigs, you would.

And I'd rather have a Classic 30 than an AC15... there's something about the AC15, it's just not that good.
yeah... I really need a good clean channel.. an amp which doesn't break very soon...
So Peavey or Laney...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Peaveys are renowned for being reliable, so you can fall back on that. Laney valve amps in general seem to like blowing fuses. They tend to run very hot... This gives awesome tone but decreased valve life. 90% of the time it could be fixed by a fuse swap or valve swap. Of course, it's also very likely that it won't go wrong.
hmmm... now MrCarrot I have a bigger problem... because I'm looking for a great tone... but of course reliability is also very important...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
^ That's the conundrum that struck me. And actually, I'm facing a decision between a VC30 and a Classic 30 right now, too. The Laney is £300, the Peavey £390. I love both their tone, prefer the looks of the Peavey... The Peavey is more reliable but the Laneys seem to only ever just blow fuses, which are like 10 pence each. The Laney is much cheaper, for basically the same thing... I'd say the Laney has a nicer tone overall.
Maybe theres a bad batch or something. My Laney was ex demo, so i have no idea how long its been sitting on the floor of the shop for. And ive never had a single problem...
heh... in my country Peavey is a bit cheaper... prices are weird thing, don't You think so?
So we have the same problem MrCarrot... I think I'll go with Peavey because I don't want to have some problems on a gig or something... but this tone... I don't know!!

EDIT: Now I can see that Peavey has no Standby button... so what about tubes and reliability?
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Last edited by Karol1701 at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by MrCarrot
^ That's the conundrum that struck me. And actually, I'm facing a decision between a VC30 and a Classic 30 right now, too. The Laney is £300, the Peavey £390. I love both their tone, prefer the looks of the Peavey... The Peavey is more reliable but the Laneys seem to only ever just blow fuses, which are like 10 pence each. The Laney is much cheaper, for basically the same thing... I'd say the Laney has a nicer tone overall.

I own the Laney, got it second hand, the previous owner had it for a couple of years, never had any problems with it except for a dodgy low gain input which was solved by a drop of solder. No fuses blown, he swapped out the stock tubes as soon as he got it, and the tubes he had in there never blew. I have the stock tubes in there at the moment, sounds fine to me, once one of them goes, I'll look into replacing with JJ's but until then, I'm quite content.

For a quick review:

Cleans - Simply awesome. There's not much I can say other than this is the most natural sounding clean amp I've ever heard

Blues Drive - Get the clean channel overdriving the power amp and it's heaven. This drive is so smooth...just wow.

Crunch/Dirty - Perfect for those classic rock tones, I don't really use this setting too much, so can't really say a lot about it

High Gain - Now, most people say that you cannot get a high gain sound out of a VC30. You can (ish). It's never going to get Cannibal Corpse or what have you, but then, why would you try to get a VC30 to do those tones? With the gain on 10 and an overdrive pedal boosting it, it'll punch out tones around Dream Theater/Megadeth etc gain-wise. But I will say, it's very vintagely voiced, so it's no good for the more modern metal bands.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by MrCarrot
^ For any sort of cleans at gigs, you would.

And I'd rather have a Classic 30 than an AC15... there's something about the AC15, it's just not that good.

but isnt the ac15 significantly cheaper too? at least from what ive seen they are hardly in the same price bracket.
If you go for the peavey when you power it up leave the volume at 0 for about 30 seconds then turn it up an play away. Its probably not the same as cutting the signal entirely but itd do.
Or you can just get one installed, from what I know its not a complicated procedure.
Quote by life_777
crate Tube amps yummm

you are right... he needs that 600 watt crate amp
Quote by mcw00t
I own the Laney, got it second hand, the previous owner had it for a couple of years, never had any problems with it except for a dodgy low gain input which was solved by a drop of solder. No fuses blown, he swapped out the stock tubes as soon as he got it, and the tubes he had in there never blew. I have the stock tubes in there at the moment, sounds fine to me, once one of them goes, I'll look into replacing with JJ's but until then, I'm quite content.

For a quick review:

Cleans - Simply awesome. There's not much I can say other than this is the most natural sounding clean amp I've ever heard

Blues Drive - Get the clean channel overdriving the power amp and it's heaven. This drive is so smooth...just wow.

Crunch/Dirty - Perfect for those classic rock tones, I don't really use this setting too much, so can't really say a lot about it

High Gain - Now, most people say that you cannot get a high gain sound out of a VC30. You can (ish). It's never going to get Cannibal Corpse or what have you, but then, why would you try to get a VC30 to do those tones? With the gain on 10 and an overdrive pedal boosting it, it'll punch out tones around Dream Theater/Megadeth etc gain-wise. But I will say, it's very vintagely voiced, so it's no good for the more modern metal bands.

wow... thanks for that review... now I think I'll go with Laney... and what can You say about pedals/effects? How does it work with them?
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
right now i own a crate vintage club 20 and its pretty koool 1 settting though. but im going 2 go rig my amp and put new 12ax7 tubes on it man its going to sound great. but i do reccomend you get crate tube amps. sound from a tube gets you very yummmy distortion
Ive yet to try this out myself but apparently the effects loop is pretty poor. Might give it a go in a second with cheapo patch cables, but it probably wotn get the best results.
Quote by no_thing101
you are right... he needs that 600 watt crate amp

Yea thats a good amp
Quote by no_thing101
but isnt the ac15 significantly cheaper too? at least from what ive seen they are hardly in the same price bracket.

Not significantly, the Classic 30 is £390, AC15 £360. Laney VC30 is £300.

And Standby isn't really as great an innovation as everybody makes out IMO, AFAIK it's just cutting the input signal, but even in Standby there's gonna be 320v on the plates and 10v on the heaters, a few millivolts of input signal won't damage the valves.

Thanks for the review McWoot, it definitely suits me. As does the Classic 30, a Classic 50 was similar to what you said, but a bit less British.

I'ma discuss with my parents getting it later. I got money, they got money, they owe me.

Karol, I'd just go with whatever you can get a better deal on, they're really pretty similar at the end of the day... laney is perhaps a bit warmer, Peavey is a bit brighter, but the bright switch of the Laney can Fender things up and you still get that lovely british OD.
Quote by Karol1701
wow... thanks for that review... now I think I'll go with Laney... and what can You say about pedals/effects? How does it work with them?

Well, I'm running a Crybaby Original -> Boss CS3 -> Boss ME-50 -> Amp

I'm using the Tubescreamer setting on the ME-50 when I want to push it (Gain: 0 Level: 10) and the Noise Gate (with the CS3, you need it). I wouldn't personally use any more effects than that (except swapping out the ME-50 for it's real counterparts).

The amp also has a bright switch, which is ideal for giving a little more punch to your cleans, and more definition to the distortion.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by mcw00t
Well, I'm running a Crybaby Original -> Boss CS3 -> Boss ME-50 -> Amp

I'm using the Tubescreamer setting on the ME-50 when I want to push it (Gain: 0 Level: 10) and the Noise Gate (with the CS3, you need it). I wouldn't personally use any more effects than that (except swapping out the ME-50 for it's real counterparts).

The amp also has a bright switch, which is ideal for giving a little more punch to your cleans, and more definition to the distortion.

Bright switch effects both channels then? I didn't know that :S

What are the footswitchable features on the Laney?
Quote by MrCarrot
Bright switch effects both channels then? I didn't know that :S

What are the footswitchable features on the Laney?

According to the schem it does, and it sounds like it does, it's not a blatant change, but to me it sounds like a slight difference.

EDIT: Footswitchable features are Drive and Reverb

EDIT2: Right from the manual:

BRIGHT: Adds brightness and life to the treble frequencies of you guitar when paying on the clean channel. Adds edge and picking emphasis when on the drive channel.

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Last edited by mcw00t at Nov 18, 2007,
It says in the manual it does effect both channels but its more obvious with lower gain settings.
The holy grail sounds great through the effects loop, i was pretty sure id just broken the effects loop in my amp but then realised that the drive channel volume cant be on 0 otherwise you wotn be able to hear it the effects which was a bit funny. But I love being able to use the grail on the dist channel now. =)

The effects volume is a really awesome feature too, perfect for using that flerb setting on the grail. Maxing it out to get some pretty harsh flange and then letting the dry signal in sounds orgasmic. I think im leaving it patch cabled up to my loop now. Need longer cables though now.

/Stobs blithering on about how awesome Laney/Ehx are.
I was pretty sure now that I'll get Laney but... on Harmony-Central few people had some problems like that:

RELIABILITY:
"Right. This is where it goes downhill. I am no on my 4th amp due to the amount of problems i have had with this. My first amp (purchased in jan 07) blew up (at a gig), sent to the distributor who said the fuses had blown and replaced them, sent it back. Great i thought. I turned it on. The sound was awful, earthing problem. So i sent it back again and got a replacement. This one came and i was happy for all of the 10 seconds it took for me to power it up. Bad valves in this one. Packaged it up and sent it back. New one came. Great, this one worked....for 2 weeks...took it to practise, turned it on....dead. By this time i had had enough. Its now back at the place i bought it with a refund on its way to my bank account. Changing to a Vox AC30 instead."

so I'm not sure... Some people just don't have any problems but soe of them have...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Well I wish I could just sit there are Lie and say theyre just plain awesome and without a single fault, but the reliability has got me scared.

Mines been great, so have alot of others, but alot have just crapped out.
damn... that's bad... Peavey has no Standby and that's scares me, also the tone isn't as good as Laney's... But Laney's reliability isn't fine... I'm sure... I think I'll risk and get Laney...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
^ Standby switch shouldn't be anything for you to worry about, really. They aren't necessary and I never had a problem without one.
well... So I don't ****in know... damn... it's difficult decision... I'm scared of Laney's but I want that tone...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Well, unless you buy it from some dodgy guy who operates his shop from the back of an unmarked white van, you would get a warranty with it, so if it broke down they'd have to repair it for you or give you a refund.
yeah... that makes sense... I think I'll go with Laney...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
i have a blues deluxe, and i can't say i totally love it. but...
for what you want, it's superb.
it has exactly what you want, very nice cleans, and a warm and overall quite bassy sound. for what you want, it's better than a classic 30.

the OD isn't much to write home about though (which is why i don't absolutely love it), while a classic 30 has (much) better OD, but 'worse' cleans.

definitely look around for a used BD, it's perfect for what you want

EDIT: holy crap, i think i broke the record for saying 'what you want' as many times as possible in one post.
Since you're not in the US, peavey and fender amps arent really a very good deal. For the money, i think that a VC30 is going to be your best choice.

The benefit of this, is that you're not going to get a bad amp with either, and both will be able to cover RHCP tones very well.

Go for the best deal.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by The red Strat.
i have a blues deluxe, and i can't say i totally love it. but...
for what you want, it's superb.
it has exactly what you want, very nice cleans, and a warm and overall quite bassy sound. for what you want, it's better than a classic 30.

the OD isn't much to write home about though (which is why i don't absolutely love it), while a classic 30 has (much) better OD, but 'worse' cleans.

definitely look around for a used BD, it's perfect for what you want

EDIT: holy crap, i think i broke the record for saying 'what you want' as many times as possible in one post.

a lot of "what You want" well... it's just about 100 dollars more expensive than Laney... maybe 150... Fender would be my best thing... and it's 40W... isn't that too loud? I'm playing gigs sometimes (now it'll be more often) but mainly I play at home... and 2 times a week on rehearsalls...
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
EHX Q-Tron +
Fender CD60 Acoustic
Page 1 of 2