the title says it all.Any ways to find out the proper gauge of the strings on your guitar?
look at the packet
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
nope, but .011's or .012's will work just fine. try some phos/bronze maybe.
A guitar shop will have a little measuring thing which can tell you.

That is if you want the exact same thickness.
i would doubt its 13's uless you specifically put 13s on it.
But putting 10's on may require a truss rod adjustment to compesnsate for the reduced pressure on the neck.
Also 10's aren't going to sound as full or as loud as 12's and will have a egative impact on your playing (that is if you ever go pick up another acoustic you will struggle because you will be used to very thin strings)
If your looking for a lower gauge 11 is the lowest i would say...but thats just me... i find 12s fine.
I tried 10's on a Martin that had 12's on it, and well... they were lighter, felt really odd, I suppose easier to play but... I couldn't stand the sound and lack of bass. Those lasted a day and I just cut them off and put on EJ16's (D'Addario Phosphor Bronze lights).
i don't seem to like the feel of the strings...i think i'll swap them out with 13's *their the only ones i have at the moment* and see whether it'll be better...but i'll try 11's and 12's soon,

and,is it tight enough for 10's to warp the neck? i doupt that'll be possible?
Quote by NoobOnZone
i don't seem to like the feel of the strings...i think i'll swap them out with 13's *their the only ones i have at the moment* and see whether it'll be better...but i'll try 11's and 12's soon,

and,is it tight enough for 10's to warp the neck? i doupt that'll be possible?

You're thinking the wrong way here. .010's have LESS tension than .012's, so the neck will want to pull back away from the strings, or straighten out because the truss rod is still providing pull opposite that of the strings. If it goes too far, you'll wind up with fret buzz all over the fretboard. A set of .013's will put more tension on the neck from the strings and have a tendency to pull it into a bow.
Not only all that, but warp is completely different than neck bow. Twist is another problem, but is different still. The neck will need a bit of bow, or curvature if you will, on the fretboard side so that all strings have the room they need to vibrate cleanly. If the neck is too straight or, worse yet, bowed back, they buzz.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Nov 19, 2007,