Page 1 of 2
I started playing the guitar about two weeks ago and have played between 1-2 hours per day, but now I've decided that I'm going to play the guitar 5, yes FIVE hours per day. 35 hours per week--almost as much as a full-time job, lol.

I know you guys don't know who I am or my current skills or how fast I am progressing, but just take a guess and please answer the following question:

If I play 5 hours per day for 1 entire year, how good do you think I will be by the end of the year?

Thank you in advance : )
I don't have a clue what your playing, so I don't know. Your questions kinda ambiguous.
Don't play the same thing for five hours a day.
Challenge yourself

also be careful not to hurt yourself though, 5 hours of playiong is a long time.
Depends how quick you learn things, and what you play.
Also, you're not crazy, just completely and totally friendless.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
you could be playing one note over & over again so until we get some more info. Crap. Forever.
NOIZE
When you say practicing, do you mean like just eading yabs, or do you mean like actually learning scales and stuff?
Quote by break-me-in
Depends how quick you learn things, and what you play.
Also, you're not crazy, just completely and totally friendless.

+1
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Well obviously the more you practise, the faster you'll develop skills. Plus if you have a natural musical abilty, it will come on faster.
So unless you get me a Delorean and a crazy old dude with plutonium, I cannot predict the future on the given information.
Hey Meg.
Proud of you.
I know a guy who would play guitar as soon as he came in from school,never did any homework,just came in,sat down,and played guitar until he fell asleep...He did between 9 and 12 hours a day x) And he is a great geetarist now.
Quote by Atomic_Assault
lololololol that was epic andyd93. you just made my day

PROUD EVERTONIAN
Post a vid on youtube or something of the best thing you can play that respresents your current level. Then we may be able to give a rough estimate.
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
i don't get people who sit there and organise practice times.

as our drummer says "it's not a job and it should never become anything like a job"

just if you feel like playing, play.

that's what i did and judging from peoples reactions i've progressed pretty well.
Quote by joeymaxx
Don't play the same thing for five hours a day.
Challenge yourself

also be careful not to hurt yourself though, 5 hours of playiong is a long time.

I will be challenging myself throughout this whole time to strive to be the very best I can be and I will try not to injure myself as well, lol.
You would be good enough to play semi difficult songs well, but i seriously doubt you will play for 5 hours EVERY DAY for a whole year.
Listen to The Sounds Inside
John Frusciante
Quote by guitarmannn
When you say practicing, do you mean like just eading yabs, or do you mean like actually learning scales and stuff?

I mean learning theory, chords, barre chords, suspended chords, major and minor scales, pentatonic scales, notes in every position of the guitar, everything to do with legato, ear training, arpeggios, finger picking, advanced chords, advanced strumming, alternate chords, chords creation, playing in all different styles of music, strumming patterns and techniques, soloing, etc...
Quote by NocturnalOats
I mean learning theory, chords, barre chords, suspended chords, major and minor scales, pentatonic scales, notes in every position of the guitar, everything to do with legato, ear training, arpeggios, finger picking, advanced chords, advanced strumming, alternate chords, chords creation, playing in all different styles of music, strumming patterns and techniques, soloing, etc...

Pfft that shit is simple... Should take you about 5 minutes every day for a week.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by scarecr0w
You would be good enough to play semi difficult songs well, but i seriously doubt you will play for 5 hours EVERY DAY for a whole year.

As crazy as it sounds I'm going to do it. (serious)
This is fun to do when you first learn guitar and you can make great steps in a couple of days practice, but after a while your skills will plateu and you will play less per day.
my gear:
ibanez rg 320fm
ibanez 1982 blazer custom
washburn mirage standard
vantage acoustic
Fender Deville tube amp
1977 les paul standard
Quote by break-me-in
Pfft that shit is simple... Should take you about 5 minutes every day for a week.

Uh huh...by the way about your earlier post I don't mind being friendless one bit because I pretty much am. All of my friends are douches so doesn't really matter to me. I'm going to play the guitar 5 hours per day for an entire year, then I'm going to start my own metal band : )

Good times ahead...
Quote by buhda
This is fun to do when you first learn guitar and you can make great steps in a couple of days practice, but after a while your skills will plateu and you will play less per day.

They will plateau if you can't think of new things to try out and practice and when it comes to the guitar, there is always something to do, always something to improve with.
Quote by NocturnalOats
Uh huh...by the way about your earlier post I don't mind being friendless one bit because I pretty much am. All of my friends are douches so doesn't really matter to me. I'm going to play the guitar 5 hours per day for an entire year, then I'm going to start my own metal band : )

Good times ahead...

But you've got no friends... Who would play in your band?

(By the way, I'm not being an asshole, every post I'm making is packed chock-full of sarcastic goodness.)

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Playing 5 hours a day is not all that much; alot of UGer's, like me, play their guitars for extended periods of time during the day. Like others say, plan how and what you play. There is no point playing 1 or 2 songs for crappily for five hours, you will not improve. 2 hours of planned / strategic practice ( some scales, some technique like tapping or palm muting, and learning challenging songs) is better than five hours of smoke on the water. Attitude is also important. If you keep playing you will naturally get better over time. Another poster said to challenge yourself. That is great advise but also know your limits. Do not be discouraged if you try some Steve Vai and cannot get it. Learn to walk before you try to run. We all want to be great players but we also need to be reasonable and realistic about what we want to do. The main goal should be having fun and loving music.
Good luck dude. Let us all know how it works out for you.

And btw if you are a talentless hack with no sense of timing or rythm, at the end of a year you will be a really obnoxious talentless hack with no sense of timing or rythm.
And no I'm not calling you a talentless hack I obviously do not know you. I'm just saying, ya know.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Just make sure you're having fun the whole time. You'll learn much faster that way, and you'll have a lower chance of wanting to give up guitar. Don't force yourself to do anything, and only play guitar when you feel like it.
id advise you to still get a teacher, just to make sure you dont get into any nasty habits.

Quote by Black60Jack
WTF is a scale any way.

Quote by Jackal58
Good luck dude. Let us all know how it works out for you.

And btw if you are a talentless hack with no sense of timing or rythm, at the end of a year you will be a really obnoxious talentless hack with no sense of timing or rythm.
And no I'm not calling you a talentless hack I obviously do not know you. I'm just saying, ya know.

Isn't that kind of why I'm practicing, so I develop better timing and better rhythm? I do have natural rhythm and good timing to begin with so that should make the journey quite a bit better : )

Strange statement you made...

ALSO,

One year from this date I will update this thread and let you guys know how it's going--possibly even a video on youtube of me playing
Last edited by NocturnalOats at Nov 18, 2007,
If you play and practice a song/scale incorrect, you will become very good at playing incorrect. So yeah get a teacher to make sure your playing it well.
"F*ck the guitar solos!!" - Olli Vänskä

Quote by Capt_Clarkson
I dont know whats worse, you going out with a peadophile, or the fact you went to see Dragonforce
Err... DragonForce?

Happily married to SuperKoolKid
Quote by NocturnalOats
Isn't that kind of why I'm practicing, so I develop better timing and better rhythm? I do have natural rhythm and good timing to begin with so that should make the journey quite a bit better : )

Strange statement you made...

Most people that have no sense of timing think they do. It then becomes my sad duty to
inform them that they should stick to listening not playing.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Most people that have no sense of timing think they do. It then becomes my sad duty to
inform them that they should stick to listening not playing.

I think I will be just fine with my metronome and recording myself playing : )
That's really not that crazy. When I started playing guitar I would play for eight hours a day. Mainly when I was sitting around watching TV and doing other things. It was never like.. Just completely focusing on the guitar. But still..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
maybe you should actualy start playin 5 hours a day before posting a thread, 'cause i would bet £50 that you will only play 1and a 1/2 hrs max
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Erm. I used to be playing 5 hours a day, and it killed my wrists.
You should build you playing up, just like sporting. You start with 30 minutes each day, and build up.
Otherwise you willl, just like me, destroy your wrists.
A lot of people practice more than that. some great guitarists like slash and van halen have admitted to having almost 12 hour practice sections in their younger days.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by NocturnalOats
I started playing the guitar about two weeks ago and have played between 1-2 hours per day, but now I've decided that I'm going to play the guitar 5, yes FIVE hours per day. 35 hours per week--almost as much as a full-time job, lol.

I know you guys don't know who I am or my current skills or how fast I am progressing, but just take a guess and please answer the following question:

If I play 5 hours per day for 1 entire year, how good do you think I will be by the end of the year?

Thank you in advance : )

It's likely you won't do it. It's not crazy. I think you're just a little over excited because you've just started. Anyone can plan things like this. Say for instance 'OMG that's it starting monday i am going to eat healthy and excercise and get a six pack'. Most cases it never happens. Also this kid in my class said he was going to run a marathon and 'omg i start training in 2 weeks'. It never happened
Only 5? Come on man push yourself!
Listen to my songs, but only if you are prepared for the greatest experience of your life .
If you've only just started playing, playing for 5 hours everyday for a year isn't giong to do your fingers any favours. Work up to it.
Page 1 of 2