As some of you might know, I'm a bit of an instructional video junkie and because of that, I've come across a LOT of different instructionals and I'm wondering why some of them are so darned expensive! I mean, we're talking an average of $100-$300 with each product. They're usually the "complete" courses, promising complete virtuosity and knowledge. I, like any other bloke who plays guitar, am skeptical about the claims they make but I'd like to know what you think.

Here's the top 3 MOST EXPENSIVE GUITAR INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS I've found!

- Learn and Master Guitar by Steve Krenz

Oh yeah, when I first heard the price of this one (about $250), my jaw hit the floor. That price is no joke but I've heard very little about it except from websites "reviewing" it but ultimately being affiliated with the product (read: they get a cut from each product sold). It claims to be, in abbreviated terms, "most complete guitar course ever". I have seen some good reviews about it here in this and other forums but I'm still having trouble believing that price! If it's that well made and that complete, then why haven't more people heard about it?

- John McLaughlin's This Is The Way I Do It and Gateway to Rhythm
To his credit, this THE John McLaughlin we're talking about here, so it makes the price tag (about $200 as well) a we bit easier to swallow. I HAVE seen some good reviews about the product in boards (which I tend to trust more, especially if I know the poster isn't an employee of the course who registered to plug the product) but the general consensus seems to agree that this course is not for n00bs(like me ) . I might consider getting it when I'm good enough

- Absolutely Understand Guitar by Scotty West
Just heard about this one actually. It seems to be in the same vein as LaMG by Steve Krenz but with a bit less production values. Scotty West looks like he shot this in his basement! On the other hand though, production values matter less than the actual teaching ability of the instructor, especially through a one-way medium like videos. Paul Gilbert filmed almost all his instructionals on a bar stool in front of a green screen and John Petrucci just basically sat in the dark throughout his instructional but they were both able to get their points across well. If Scotty West is a good enough teacher, then his course can come in a plastic bag for all I care!

I'm thinking of purchasing the complete 2007 version of Metal Method series by Doug Marks and I want to know if I should get one of the above courses instead....
maybe its just me, but i think that spending $200 on 4 or 5 hours with a good guitar teacher would be much better than what you could get from most videos
I spend an average of £20 per DVD on instructional videos, and they're Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, Frank Gambale.

Thats a ridiculous price for the ones ytou've names
The first one has 10 DVDs, 5 CDs, and a 100 page book in it, call $17 per disc roughly.

Second one - I could only find Gateway to Rhythm and that was $28.

Third one - Says 32 hours of instruction, approximate at 3 hours per DVD, that's 11 DVDs.

When you work it out price per disc, it doesnt seem so expensive.

But I agree with seljer, get a teacher instead.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
though thats not to say that videos are completely useless in general
I learned quite a few cool things from the Paul Gilbert ones
I wouldn't buy any, I'm really sceptical about stuff like that. Sure, MJB, you say now that you'll give me the keys to the Lamborghini, but....
Quote by seljer
maybe its just me, but i think that spending $200 on 4 or 5 hours with a good guitar teacher would be much better than what you could get from most videos

Exactly But...
Quote by seljer
though thats not to say that videos are completely useless in general
I learned quite a few cool things from the Paul Gilbert ones

I learned a fair bit from the GOOMY DVD
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by J.A.M
I wouldn't buy any, I'm really sceptical about stuff like that. Sure, MJB, you say now that you'll give me the keys to the Lamborghini, but....

I assume you meant MAB by that? If so, I do reccommend this instructional video, I've not yet watched it all the way through (I'm on exercise 2) but he taught me more in 14 minutes than my guitar teacher managed to teach me in around 6 hours (that was before I gave up on him).
He's a brilliant teacher, and after completing exercise 1 I was already playing faster than I've ever played before.
From what I've seen so far he seems to be focusing on right hand technique, I don't know if he goes into left-hand technique later because as I said I've not watched it all yet... But once I'd got my right hand technique down pat the left hand followed pretty swiftly.
I know that when I've worked through the whole of this instructional I'm definately buying number 2!
For anyone that doesn't know - I'm reffering to Michael Angelo Batio's Speed Kills instructional DVD.
Well worth buying imo!
Anything by Metal Method is worth buying. That's how I learned to play guitar. Doug Marks and the rest of the Metal Method team are extremely good instructors even if they can't give you direct one-on-one. Most of their videos are $15-$30 which is a bargin IMO.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
The reason (imo) there are those videos worth $200+ or just simply to make money.. people are bound to guitar center or wherever, and see all the videos around 15-30 and think they are cheap, and go for the expensive one because it will be the "best"
Quote by seljer

That is of course very true, but I should have said that assuming I'd want to lean to at home which I am trying to do since I'm having a hard time looking for a competent teacher.

Thanks for the input again guys. I've actually already ordered Learn and Master Guitar so if it turns out to be a scam or the greatest guitar video ever, you all can be sure to hear it from me
Quote by Dutch_Apples
Anything by Metal Method is worth buying. That's how I learned to play guitar. Doug Marks and the rest of the Metal Method team are extremely good instructors even if they can't give you direct one-on-one. Most of their videos are $15-$30 which is a bargin IMO.

Quote by LeperAffinity
I assume you meant MAB by that? If so, I do reccommend this instructional video, I've not yet watched it all the way through (I'm on exercise 2) but he taught me more in 14 minutes than my guitar teacher managed to teach me in around 6 hours (that was before I gave up on him).
He's a brilliant teacher, and after completing exercise 1 I was already playing faster than I've ever played before.
From what I've seen so far he seems to be focusing on right hand technique, I don't know if he goes into left-hand technique later because as I said I've not watched it all yet... But once I'd got my right hand technique down pat the left hand followed pretty swiftly.
I know that when I've worked through the whole of this instructional I'm definately buying number 2!
For anyone that doesn't know - I'm reffering to Michael Angelo Batio's Speed Kills instructional DVD.
Well worth buying imo!

That's nice to hear. I'm actually really interested in this course since it's probably the only video guitar course that a famous guitarist, Rusty Cooley, has admitted to using. The only two other guys who admit to using a guitar instructional video are Herman Li (Frank Gambale's Chop Builder) and Matt Heafy (John Petrucci's Rock Discipline).

I'm thinking of getting the package that comes with Stages 1-6 and Speed Kills 1-3 and Speed Lives.

Speaking of which, how are the Speed Kills videos compared to other "chop builder" videos like the ones by John Petrucci(Rock Discipline) , Paul Gilbert (Intense Rock series) and Frank Gambale (Chop Builder)?
Last edited by pfizer at Nov 19, 2007,
Sorry for the late response, I couldn't compare because I hadn't seen the other DVDs.

I've seen Rock Discipline now and to be honest I don't think it's worth buying.. I found my attention wandering, I really couldn't focus on it, he broke everything down far too much. He's a brilliant guitarist but as a teacher he's not very good.
Speed Kills is far easier to get in to. The improvement was quick and I found it very easy to become motivated with his teaching style. Imo Speed Kills is better than Rock Discipline in every way.
Quote by LeperAffinity
Sorry for the late response, I couldn't compare because I hadn't seen the other DVDs.

I've seen Rock Discipline now and to be honest I don't think it's worth buying.. I found my attention wandering, I really couldn't focus on it, he broke everything down far too much. He's a brilliant guitarist but as a teacher he's not very good.
Speed Kills is far easier to get in to. The improvement was quick and I found it very easy to become motivated with his teaching style. Imo Speed Kills is better than Rock Discipline in every way.

Yeah, it requires a bit of patience to work with Rock Discipline, since John Petrucci is not exactly the most lively presenter. He just basically sits in the dark through the entire video and shreds. He is quite knowledgeable though and I myself found that if you can stay awake long enough, you'll get a lot of useful stuff from it. The exercises sound like, well, exercises but they are really useful.

Nice to know Speed Kills is not the "show-off" video I thought it was; you know, the ones where the guy just shreds and shreds and the watcher weeps and weeps with their feelings of inferiority? It's also got some nice production values; Paul Gilbert's videos, while useful and entertaining, look a bit dated with today's standards. Hope he makes a new one though, he's probably my favorite celebrity teacher.
Last edited by pfizer at Dec 1, 2007,
Quote by pfizer
That's nice to hear. I'm actually really interested in this course since it's probably the only video guitar course that a famous guitarist, Rusty Cooley, has admitted to using. The only two other guys who admit to using a guitar instructional video are Herman Li (Frank Gambale's Chop Builder) and Matt Heafy (John Petrucci's Rock Discipline).

I'm thinking of getting the package that comes with Stages 1-6 and Speed Kills 1-3 and Speed Lives.

Speaking of which, how are the Speed Kills videos compared to other "chop builder" videos like the ones by John Petrucci(Rock Discipline) , Paul Gilbert (Intense Rock series) and Frank Gambale (Chop Builder)?

I know this is a 2 years old thread but i really want to know that too.
Quote by pfizer
promising complete virtuosity and knowledge. I, like any other bloke who plays guitar, am skeptical about the claims they make but I'd like to know what you think.

I would be leery of anyone promising that.

I'd see each video as a learning resource. You'll likely learning something from each, but "complete virtuosity and knowledge"? I don't believe that's even possible tbh.

I believe the issue here is unrealistic expectations.

btw, the post is @ Alex..... I'm aware that it's an old thread.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Nov 16, 2009,
the mclaughlin video would be worth doing...if...your willing to really work...its a two year study...

i was fortunate to study with a guitar master...who stressed the obvious when i said i could not do part of the last lesson etc...this stuff will take time..patients & determination he said over and over...i realize that he spent years learning (being) what he was teaching me in half hour bites..

learning any instrument (or any high end skill for that matter) is not a "fast food" order...

one jazz teacher put it very plainly..."if I'm not teaching you fast enough...please go ahead of me"

play well

wolf