Hello everyone. I'm new here and I need help. When playing songs, especially when playing on the 5th and 6th strings, my left pinky finger goes in to the shape like when you make a fist, like a claw and goes all the way back as far as it can go and I can't do nothing about it. I've been playing guitar for 3 years and just recently I had this problem but just for a short while. Now I always have it and it really affects my playing. Even as I type this it does it but my right pinky stays straight. Is there anything I can do to stop it doing that?

Thank you very very much.
work on keeping it straight...
its not hard... just practice
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Actually it is hard, there's nothing I can do. The moment I put my hand on the neck it just automatically does that. I fear I may have to give up the guitar.
Quote by johnhud
Actually it is hard, there's nothing I can do. The moment I put my hand on the neck it just automatically does that. I fear I may have to give up the guitar.

I had that same problem. I recommend playing the chromatic scale, but skip every 4th note. Keep your pinky rigid the entire time you're doing it. Repeat this for about 10-15 minutes a day. I would also check out the Gripmaster too, that seems to help people as well.
There's no need to get stressed about it unless it's, for some reason, really hindering your playing. If you watch Paul Gilbert, he does the same thing when he's not using his pinky, just as I do too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Try to focus on keeping it straight all the time, even when not playing the guitar.
I'm a communist. Really.
the way i overcame this problem is by playing power chords with my index and pinky finger instead of index and ring so your hand looks flat on the neck
My pinky finger does that too, when i need to use it, i just force it to get straight.Well, you just need practice i think.
Thank you every one for your replies. I will try doing some of the things here and see how it goes
Quote by Dyers
the way i overcame this problem is by playing power chords with my index and pinky finger instead of index and ring so your hand looks flat on the neck

I do this as well. I think it really improves strength in your pinky. I've heard that it is the wrong way to do it, but I've also picked it up from Hammett and others, so who knows?
just keep your finger as straight as possible while playing. If that doesn't worl, go sports doctor on it, take a popsicle stick and some masking tape, tape the finger straight, and play. Your finger will have to stay straight, but you'll need to make sure to practice with your pinky after this, or you will become used to not using it.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
man this happened to me too but with middle and pinky btw im playing for 10 months now