Are they reliable? I don't want to get my Agile guitar and have the neck come off or something. That would suck lol.
Last edited by rocker931 at Nov 18, 2007,
Of course they are reliable. All Fender Stratocasters, as the first example that comes to mind, have bolt on necks and needless to say, they are rather good.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
in light of the title change lol

yes they are very reliable,,,,you'll be slightly screwed if one breaks but unless you smash it against the wall repeatedly as if you were trying to kill your worst enemy,,,,you'll be fine lol
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Last edited by sajuuk at Nov 18, 2007,
Oh ****, I completely messed up hahaha. I meant the SET necks. Sorry. LMAO. I'm so tired.
Quote by Danno13
No, they fall off ALL THE TIME. That's why nobody makes them anymore.

It's just a question. I have no experience with such guitar thus I have made this thread. Take your **** somewhere else.
Ah, now my post looks stupid! Damn you title change!

All necks are reliable. With neck through and to a certain level, set necks, you get more sustain. With bolt-on necks you get the ability to change the neck if you happen to break it.

To be honest, the loss of sustain is quite small too.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

set necks offer more sustain
for example Gibson and most epiphiones have set necks that give the sustain their known for and yes they will stay on and im sure you would get an exchange if it did somehow fall off
the only disadvantage is that you cant adjust the neck or swap it out like with a bolt on.
so if you get one take care of it
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
Quote by Kurapica
Ah, now my post looks stupid! Damn you title change!

All necks are reliable. With neck through and to a certain level, set necks, you get more sustain. With bolt-on necks you get the ability to change the neck if you happen to break it.

To be honest, the loss of sustain is quite small too.

How the f*** does someone break a guitar neck? I never needed a new neck on my bolt ons so yea.
Quote by rocker931
How the f*** does someone break a guitar neck? I never needed a new neck on my bolt ons so yea.

if you damage it over years of use or if an unfortunate accident happens...
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
Quote by Havok19
if you damage it over years of use or if an unfortunate accident happens...

Wow, I guess I should watch out then. Thanks for the questions everybody. If you have anymore info, your welcome to share.
The main way of breaking it, particularly so with Gibsons, is dropping it or knocking it heavily on the headstock. The lack of volute and such means they can snap right off, leaving you having to get an unsightly repair.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
The main way of breaking it, particularly so with Gibsons, is dropping it or knocking it heavily on the headstock. The lack of volute and such means they can snap right off, leaving you having to get an unsightly repair.

That sucks. I better take care of it more than. Is it possible to install a bolt on for it?
Quote by rocker931
That sucks. I better take care of it more than. Is it possible to install a bolt on for it?

You probably could, but it really wouldn't be worth it. Unless you mean to drive a bolt through the neck joint while it is still glued...I have no idea about that, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

But honestly, especially with a Les Paul-type guitar, a set neck should be plenty strong enough. It's with SGs you have to worry, because their joints are so tiny.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
Quote by Missingno476

But honestly, especially with a Les Paul-type guitar, a set neck should be plenty strong enough. It's with SGs you have to worry, because their joints are so tiny.

I've never known an SG break at the neck/body joint.

They ALWAYS break at the headstock, that's the definite weak spot. Obviously, this doesn't occur if you look after the guitar.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

If you're so worried about breaking the neck of your setneck guitar, then get a bolt on guitar instead. Problem solved, stop worrying.

But frankly, its funny when people get so worked up about their setneck or neckthru guitars and what happens if they break the neck and cant find a replacement and stuff.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
being honest man, it's really like a .01% chance you'll knock the neck hard enough to snap the headstock, unless you just jump around on stage like a retard..but other than that they're really...really...safe... no need to worry
just a clarification - bolt necks sustain just as well, if not better than sets when made properly (well fitting)

No decent guitar is going to break on you unless you really abuse it.

Of course some guitars are more durable than others (Les Pauls have the frailest headstock joints around unless they're built with volutes, while a tele built the old fashioned way with a huge slab of swamp ash for the body and an inch-thick neck can more or less be used as a sledgehammer and come out looking beat up but in-tune and playing perfectly.)
Quote by Chad11491
being honest man, it's really like a .01% chance you'll knock the neck hard enough to snap the headstock, unless you just jump around on stage like a retard..but other than that they're really...really...safe... no need to worry

Or, as more often happens, it falls/is knocked off a guitar stand.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Sorry for bumping this old thread. Just wanted to make an update.

I got an Epiphone SG G400 around the time I posted this thread. What I find funny is the fact that I actually ended up breaking the neck off after my parents and I got into an argument.

By the way, I looked retarded by saying "****" all the time in those posts. Ah, teenage years...