Well I realised that getting a half-stack was probably just my ego getting the better of me, I wanna know if this combo will be able to do what I want it to. Obviously it's gonna be loud enough (60 watts), (the head was 120, wtf?, overkill?).
Will I be able to get Rammstein-esque brutal tones and some Killswitch engage type tones? Ideally I want the tone to be quite smooth and bass-y, but still tight and high gain, which I've heard there's plenty on the 6505. Is there any mods available which could point me in the right direction too? And how are the stock tubes?

I hate looking on Youtube for sound clips because frankly they're ****e and most of the time the amp is set up terribly. It's also a bit of a problem for me to try the amp out at the moment, my local Sound Control don't have the combo in atm and other than SC I have naff all in the way of music stores.

Btw anyone seen these cheaper than £839.00? (GAK.com) Or should I be looking at an alternative for the price?

I realise there's a lot of questions there and I apologize in advance :P
Originally Posted by apocalypse13
What, does singing "Moderfukin death, Sat@n is t3h 1337!!" make you feel tough?

Gear:
Schecter C1 Hellraiser (EMG 81/85)
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
the 6505 would suit all your needs

perhaps look used? (ebay)

search the Peavey 5150, it's just the older version of it - it's still excellent though
If you hunt for a good deal, you could find a used one for way cheaper, I bought mine for $580. I don't know about those specific tones, as I don't really listen to Killswitch or Rammstein, but it's basically a great amp for all sorts of metal.

You ought to ask in the Mother of all 5150/6505 threads, I'm sure someone there will know about those tones.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
KSE probably recorded with 5150s at least once.
The guys from Rammstein use ENGLs though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i strongly dont reccomend the combo, a 2x12 combo is going to be insanely heavy if its anything like my mkiv 1x12 combo. a head is easier to carry around, you can just get a 1x12 or 2x12 cab.
Well Enough Alone
definatly be able to get extremely brutal tones from the 6505 i have a 5150 (head) and their basically the same set up and everything, i use a 1960a vintage cab with v30's soo i get a much mroe tight and better bottom end sound but ive never played the combo
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
Thanks for the feedback so far, I'll definitely try and look for a used one, there seems to be very little 6505's on eBay nowadays =/ Maybe I'll look after Christmas? People might have gotten rid of their combos for 234523452345 watt heads. :P. £840 + is a lot I guess =/ Are there any other sites I could check for used? I tried Craigslist but no luck on that so far.

6505 combo definately the way to go for me then? And will any biasing/tube changing be necessary?

Quote by guitardude11
i strongly dont reccomend the combo, a 2x12 combo is going to be insanely heavy if its anything like my mkiv 1x12 combo. a head is easier to carry around, you can just get a 1x12 or 2x12 cab.

Hmm I would rather get the combo, I usually travel to where my band practice in a car so transport isn't that much of a deal, I dont mind carrying it. It's just that I have very little room in my bedroom, or house in general for a head + cab(s). And I'd rather practice with a combo as I usually practice on my own with headphones. How much did your Mark IV combo cost btw? I've always admired those amps <3.

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Last edited by Matt_Synyster at Nov 18, 2007,
mark iv's are really expensive

i'm looking a 6505 at the moment - so hard to come across >.<
Quote by Ht666
mark iv's are really expensive

i'm looking a 6505 at the moment - so hard to come across >.<

£2,095.00 on GAK for a Mark IV combo!? Holy **** XP. A little outta my league hehe
Noticed your from Brum not too far away from me really, and yea they really are hard to come across second hand =/ There's a good Sound Control in Derby where I got my Shecter from but other than that all my other music stores are shocking, I think their most exotic guitars are Yahamas =/.

Anyone own a 6505 combo that can give me a better insight into it?

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Should do you well.

I'll sell you mine! haha It'd probably come out beeing too much
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
awesome amp. played one at gc. i love the distortion and the cleans aren't as bad as they say. if you play metal and rock, the cleans are great. if you're a snobby jazz player who thinks fender cleans are the greatest thing since sliced bread, you won't like it.

you can also get a nice overdriven tone with this amp too surprisingly. it's not really versatile, but overall a superb metal amp IMO
Quote by barbarianbrute
awesome amp. played one at gc. i love the distortion and the cleans aren't as bad as they say. if you play metal and rock, the cleans are great. if you're a snobby jazz player who thinks fender cleans are the greatest thing since sliced bread, you won't like it.

you can also get a nice overdriven tone with this amp too surprisingly. it's not really versatile, but overall a superb metal amp IMO

Well atm I'm running EMG's in my Schecter so my cleans are never gonna be great, but tbh that's the least of my priorities, I want some br00tal tones . Thanks for your feedback .
For future reference, it's possible to add a cab to my combo later on right? Like MatrixClaw did? Can anyone point me in the direction of the mod?

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Quote by Matt_Synyster
For future reference, it's possible to add a cab to my combo later on right? Like MatrixClaw did? Can anyone point me in the direction of the mod?

Yes, the combo has one speaker out on the back, no mod required, unless you're talking about something else.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yes, the combo has one speaker out on the back, no mod required, unless you're talking about something else.

Oh sorry I must've been confused by your thread, I was wondering about this:

Has also been modded so that when plugged into a speaker cabinet, the internal speakers remain on, so if you hook it up to a 4x12, you now have a 6x12.

How did you manage that? That sounds really useful/money efficient.

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
Quote by Matt_Synyster
Oh sorry I must've been confused by your thread, I was wondering about this:

How did you manage that? That sounds really useful/money efficient.

Oh, I bought it locally like that from a guy that had it done.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
With the combo, you dont need to bias warmer, because its already biased warmer than the head. And btw, 5150 combo =/ portable
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Anyone else know if I'll be able to get Deathstars/Rammstein type sound?, if not directly then which pedals should I be looking at? And dont recommend me a head as an alternative :P, I simply dont have the space

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab
not to burst your bubble... but a head is smaller than a combo. a small cab (2x12) would be damn near close to the size of the combo. and you can set the head anywhere, it doesnt have to be on top of the cab. im just sayin.... but good luck with your purchase, hope it works out for you.

oh and my mark iv i got for a steal, $750, in good condition for being 9 years old. speaker just blew though, it must have been on the way out but im still happy. new is over 2 grand.
Well Enough Alone
Quote by guitardude11
not to burst your bubble... but a head is smaller than a combo. a small cab (2x12) would be damn near close to the size of the combo. and you can set the head anywhere, it doesnt have to be on top of the cab. im just sayin.... but good luck with your purchase, hope it works out for you.

oh and my mark iv i got for a steal, $750, in good condition for being 9 years old. speaker just blew though, it must have been on the way out but im still happy. new is over 2 grand.

Yea I know the head's small it's just the thing is if I bought the head I'd have to buy the combo obviously, which is more room I don't have, and it's not very healthy for my wallet. And with the amount I practice atm I really need it all-in-one. I mean I can always buy a cab to add to my combo after if I ever need to, not that I can see myself getting one any time soon. Might keep my eyes out for a Mark IV, anyone have any experience with buying used from abroad, (mainly UK residents buying used from US)?

Gear:
Framus Dragon Head
Orange PPC2x12 cab