If you're talking about starting from the absolute beginning then something like "Guitar for Dummies" or "The Complete Guitarist" by Tony Bacon.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
+1

I would suggest that this book is useful http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Method-Guitar-Volumes-Complete/dp/0876390114/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195425734&sr=8-2
There you learn all the basics you need.
When you are a bloody beginner and have the money I would recommend you to take the first lessons by a teacher to learn the basics, because with a teacher you learn everything much better and faster
There is no "one book to rule them all" as it were. Plus a book won't tell you if what you're playing sounds right. Try and find something that comes with a CD or DVD. If you have some cash to invest in a comprehensive instruction course with a book and several DVD's, look up "Learn & Master Guitar."
you should teach yourself in my opinoin, but a good way to go if you MUST own a publisized book, is to buy tab books for your favorite albums.
alfreds basic guitar method, nuff said. its boring as F*CK, but when ur done the series u'll actually know music very well. this is what sets most guitarists apart from each other, the ability to read music. plus they cover most popular techniques (bending/sliding/tremolo/alt picking/ect/ect.) the only thing they dont cover is harmonics and more advanced stuff like that.
Quote by 40BPM
+1

I would suggest that this book is useful http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Method-Guitar-Volumes-Complete/dp/0876390114/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195425734&sr=8-2
There you learn all the basics you need.
When you are a bloody beginner and have the money I would recommend you to take the first lessons by a teacher to learn the basics, because with a teacher you learn everything much better and faster

Ive heard many a good thing about this series.
If you have the time, the patience, and will, try out Chord Chemistry by Ted Greene. It will bust your family jewels, but Eric Johnson swears by it.
Quote by bigredbeast
how much is 15,000 PHP? I didn't know they played guitar in the Phillipines. I thought they played ukelele or something.

Because, of course, we're too far away from places with guitars and all that stuff so we play ukelele...
Books can only take you so far. In a one on one lesson, you will be taught exactly how to play things, and the teacher will point out any bad habits. Instead of assuming things are right, a more experienced guitarist can tell you from his experience.

Books are good, DVDs and CDs are better, but in the end, nothing will beat one on one tuition with a good teacher.

Try these online programs for starters.

Jamorama

Team Method

Like losing weight, exercise must coupled with a diet to succeed. These courses can teach you how to play, but you will see greater gains if you invest in a teacher.

Good luck man!
"We weren’t too ambitious when we started out. We just wanted to be the biggest thing that ever walked the planet."
-- Steven Tyler
http://www.amazon.com/Hal-Leonard-Guitar-Method-Complete/dp/0634047019/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195564460&sr=8-1

This is an excellent book that will take you from complete beginner, well into intermediate playing bordering on advanced.

The strange thing is I find reading music easier than reading tab and two weeks ago or so was the first time I've seen music notation (or whatever you call it, lol).

I would use this book and combine it with playing songs in tab here on UG and you will be well on your way.
Teacher is the best, but if you can't afford one or don't want one, go to you local guitar shop and pick up mel bay's guitar 1, its the book that almost all guitar teachers and my freinds learn on, but that book is more geared toward having a guitar teacher teach you it, but thats what i use( i take lessons) and its a good guide.
Get the "Berklee book". Also known as Modern Method for Guitar. It will teach you essential techniques that are unique to its method that simplify sight-reading and overall playing. With the knowledge I picked up from it, it made me a much better player.
Quote by one vision
alfreds basic guitar method, nuff said. its boring as F*CK, but when ur done the series u'll actually know music very well. this is what sets most guitarists apart from each other, the ability to read music. plus they cover most popular techniques (bending/sliding/tremolo/alt picking/ect/ect.) the only thing they dont cover is harmonics and more advanced stuff like that.

Agreed it is boring as F*CK but it works
This works for almost any situation....

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Punch it. Punch it until it goes away.
The "Guitar for Dummies" book is an awesome book for learning how to play guitar. If you work through that and Hal Leonard's basic books, that's a solid foundation. Both come with CD's.
Quote by FreeManson15
you should teach yourself in my opinoin, but a good way to go if you MUST own a publisized book, is to buy tab books for your favorite albums.

OP asked the best book to study, not the worst.
well what direction are you headed and what are your goals (also how long have you been playing)? Do you have any close friends who play guitar? If they had a good teacher taking a few lessons from a recommended teacher might be a good idea. For basic metal stuff. I still think the Troy Stetina books and audio companions are very good.

asking a question like that with no background isn't doing yourself any favors to get good answers.
Best books for learning guitar are the ones without pages that play music; mine looked like these:

Quote by reverb66
I'm pretty sure the Bible requires that you play through a tube amp in Texas.