Hey, I have a question about bigger gauged strings. I first used Daddario 9's for about 3 1/2 years, and I decided to try some Ernie Balls because of what I've heard about them, so i bought a pack of Power Slinkys (11 - 48 Gauge). I restrung my guitar twice with these over about the course of a month and a half, and I noticed that my fingers (mostly my ring finger, the one next to my pinky) were getting really shredded up. It was going through the calluses on my fingers, and then going digging into layers of my skin. I couldnt tell if it was because of the higher gauged strings, or just because of the fact that I did alot of bends with them.

Anyway, I started buying Ernia Ball Regular Slinkys (Which are 10 Gauge), and I havent had the problem. Problem now is, i need to restring and the only strings i have with me are a pack of 11 Gauge that I had left over from when I used them.

What I'm asking is, do you think I'll be alright with them for about 2 weeks until i can go to the store and pick up more strings? I think i should prabobly be Ok this time, because this time I'm only going up 1 Gauge from 10 to 11, not 2 gauges like last time from 9 to 11.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Or do you think that its not the string gauge ****ing up my fingers, but the fact that I started doing alot of bends with them. Any help would be appreciated.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
when i switched to higher gauges it did the same thing to my fingers

but i guess my fingers got stronger because i don't have that problem anymore
Yeah, I almost wish i never switched back to 10's now, because if I didnt I wouldnt have this problem now. It's either play dead, almost rusted strings that have no shine or slide left in them for 2 weeks till I can get a new pair, or play the 11's and risk shredding my fingers up again.

What type of strings were you playing before you switched to the higher gauge strings?
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Okay, here's what you do. Next time you change strings, take the guitar to a local professional to get the truss rod adjusted. If you don't do this when putting on heavier strings, then the action will get higher and the neck will warp and it could possibly even break. Going from heavy to light will bake the neck bend the other way, so just pick a gauge and take the guitar to someone who knows what they're doing to get the truss rod adjusted.

Also, I wouldn't advise using heavy gauge strings unless you're going to play jazz. You should try to bend heavy strings as little as possible. If you're planning to do a lot of rock soloing kind of stuff, go back to the .09's. They make Slinky's that gauge if you like those strings. If you're gonna switch with rock rhythm and lead, go with .10's. Also, what you can do if you want an in-between is get the E, A, and D strings from a pack of .10 gauge, and the G, B, and high E strings from a pack of .09's. But basically, if you're gonna bend a lot, don't go with .11's. I just put .12's on mine because I'm looking for a jazz sound on that guitar, and it will not do for rock.

I hope this has been helpful.
i switched to higher gauge strings cause i found it to easy to bend them just playing normally and it would sound out of tune
I've developed a liking for hybrid sets with light tops, heavy bottoms. D'Addario EXL140s are pretty much perfect for me, they're .010 to .052s. I tried EB Beefy Slinkies for a while and didn't like them very much, the higher string tension on the A, D and G strings made pinch harmonics and string bending noticeably more difficult.
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
I think it affects different people differently, but even when I moved from 10's to 12's, it didn't affect me much. It did strengthen my fingers though, and it's all a matter of preference. I think you'll be ok, you might even like them better this time.