I've been looking for a reasonably priced tube amp for a while now. Last night I picked up the new Guitar World holiday review guide and saw this in it for $499. The reviews are positive for the head except for this:
ok, a few days ago i went down to the music store expecting to love this amp, but i couldnt have been more wrong. I tried the head on both the matching epi cab and also a Marshall 1960A cab and it didnt help it any. The first problem is the reverb, not only u cant turn it completely off or even to a low level, but when you turn it all the way up there isn't much difference. Not only that but there is a serious lack of power here. In the store where i was the only customer at the time, sitting right infront if the amp i had to have the master volume at 5 with all other controles that affect the volume at 10 just for a low practice volume! Also i have played on many amps, alot of high end tube amps and alot of cheaper solid state amps, and this was by far one of the worse ive played on. Do your self a favor and buy something better.

I play mostly radiohead, muse, smashing pumpkins, nirvana, stp, soundgarden, the beatles, ratm...

As for guitars... my two main ones are a Fender standard fat strat and a Fender 72 Thinline tele RI.

My current amp is this but with 65 watts.

Also, I forgot to say what pedals I have. Big muff, Ds-1, Chorus, flange, phase, Whammy, and a crybaby. I don't use the effects all the time tho.

Thanks
Last edited by pinkhaze29 at Nov 18, 2007,
1. You DON'T need a half stack
2. That one sounded like it had fauly tubes
3. I would check out a combo instead, perhaps a Marshall DSL401?
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
1. You DON'T need a half stack
2. That one sounded like it had fauly tubes
3. I would check out a combo instead, perhaps a Marshall DSL401?

I know I don't need a half stack, this just seemed a good price. And the DSL 401 is out of my price range. ($500, a little more maybe)
i thought it was pretty decent for the price. best try everything in its price range, though, in case you find something you like better.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Definitely try it out for yourself. I wouldn't expect it to be amazing, but it sounds like the one that particular reviewer tried had some issues (tubes, like Gabe said... ?).

The Palomino V32 and Valveking 112 are both available new for under $500, both worth looking into for those bands. I prefer used amps, feeling that's the bast way to maximize my dollars. You should be able to find a Peavey Classic 50, or a Traynor YCV 40 or 50 for under $500 second hand. Check your local Craig's List, see what's available by you.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
or you could get a JSX combo, best amp EVAR!!!

but seriously, JSX is a great amp
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
Good amp, the only thing I don't like is the backwards facing control knobs.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.