A lot of people compare the Orange AD30 to the Vox AC30...do they have a simliar sound?

thanks.

jj
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
i believe the AD30 was oranges take on AC30, either way it's a very similarly voiced British amp
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
is the ad30 as bright as the ac30?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
AD30 is very loosely based on the AC30, but they don't sound very similar. The AD has more bass, much less chime, and no top boost channel or trem (some models don't have reverb either). The AD is a bit less versatile since the two channels both have similar gain structure and voicing, and it's harder to get a good clean tone.

Edit :^ the AD is about as dark as the AC's normal channel- maybe a bit darker. It will not get as bright as the top boost channel on the AC30.
^so the clean channel....still sounds kind of dirty?
Quote by NeverMeant
Theres always a little bit of dirt in the AC30's sound no matter how you set it, thats part of its magic. I don't think he meant the AD30 will always have some dirt in it, but it might as I've never played one. It will still sound very good most likely as it is a miniscule amount of dirt in the sound.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
nah I have played my ac30 on pure clean, and there is now overdrive at all....
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
^I meant the AD30 (Orange) people say the clean is very dirty...no headroom?
Quote by NeverMeant
I just want to know if i can get an AC30 sound, from the Orange AD30?
Quote by NeverMeant
I'd get an AC30 if you want AC30 tones. They're very different in tone. The Vox is jangly and bright, while the Orange is smooth and dark.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^hahaa. yeah i know...but like....its the two channels that i like. i dont want to "turn down" the volume on my guitar to have a cleaner sound. i want to have a clean and then dirty sound by the push of a button. im currently recording with an AC30 and im loving it......
Quote by NeverMeant
^does that sound like the peavey classic 30? cause i hated the dist. on the classic 30...the cleans were awesome though.
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109
^hahaa. yeah i know...but like....its the two channels that i like. i dont want to "turn down" the volume on my guitar to have a cleaner sound. i want to have a clean and then dirty sound by the push of a button. im currently recording with an AC30 and im loving it......

Don't be so lazy!

If you must, then how about a booster or OD to go with the AC30 for your dirt. Considering the cost difference between the AD30 and the AC30, you could line yourself up with a couple nice, boutique pedals to get your AC30 anywhere you want it to go. I use a TS808 and an Analogman Sun Lion with mine (with a little manipulation of the guitar's volume control), I get every sound I'm looking for.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I have heard that it can be like a poor mans AC30. Probably not the exact same but could work and sound close and it has 2 channels.

EDIT:^ Slats is the one I heard the comment about the Delta Blues from.
Last edited by acdcrocks0323 at Nov 21, 2007,
slats! I really really want an AC30....what does the sun lion do?

EDIT: ok its a fuzz pedal...what would be a good OD pedal? besides the tubescreamer?
Quote by NeverMeant
Last edited by sloppyjoe109 at Nov 21, 2007,
Quote by sloppyjoe109
slats! I really really want an AC30....what does the sun lion do?

It's an awesome match for the AC30. A Rangemaster treble booster on one side, and a Fuzz Face clone on the other. I use the treble boster to either overdrive the amp, or to et the cleans super-jangly. It can also be switched to boost the mids or the bass. The Fuzz is an amazing vintage voiced fuzz that does all that Hendrix-Cream stuff to perfection.

Sun Lion

You have some money for amps, apparently. I'm gonna suggest you take a look at Ugly Amps, too. Their Ugly 18 is a two channel amp that's like a classic Vox AC15 on one channel, and a Marshall 18 watt on the other. The new Ugly 33 is supposed to be a true big brother to the 18, but I haven't tried that one. Did try the 18 at the NY Amp Show, and really liked it a lot. One of a few that really stood out for me. Decent prices for boutique quality, too.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^haha cool. yeah....im gonna sell my dual rec for sure....its just not my thing...im more into vintage-warm-crystal clear sounding amps. and ill probably sell my orange 4x12, and get a 2x12.....
Quote by NeverMeant
i really dont want to use a dist pedal if i get the AC30....i want that natural overdriven tone...but what kind of OD would you recommend?
Quote by NeverMeant
Quote by sloppyjoe109
^I meant the AD30 (Orange) people say the clean is very dirty...no headroom?

No, it's like comparing Marshall cleans (dirty) to (blackface) Fender cleans (clean).
^ok thanks. that cleared it up some.

Quote by NeverMeant