Page 1 of 2
I've been watching a lot of live concerts, music videos, etc. When I see the drummers, the normally look the same: Shorts, T-shirt (sometimes), converse, and either long hair or a hat. Guitarists: Normally have the tight jeans, black shirt, and long hair or spiky hair. This is generally speaking of course, I know there are exceptions to the styles i just named.

However, everytime I see a bassist in a video, they always look a little bit different from the other bassists. So, in your opinion, what do you think is the punk rock bassist look?
It's punk, wear whatever the f*ck you want.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
most bassists ive seen jsut go for the pretty laid back aproach and just joke about on stage and with the crowd. But really there is no standard for any of them, its just what suits you best really
to be honest those people wear those thing becuase thats what they wear, short n tishirt for drummer - they get really hot playing so wear less. punker tho, gotta have pink mohawk all the way
im a metal guitarist
which means i dont pay attention to punk or bass players
My You'll be the Baddest Dude in Revere!

My Gear:
-Fender Mexican Stratocaster
-Silvertone Paul Stanley Signature Acoustic
-Fender Princeton 65w
-DOD Death Metal
Last edited by The_Seventh_Sin at Nov 18, 2007,
Since I play punk, they should look like um.... ME!!

Seriously, punk is all about what you want to wear and be, and originally was a protest against the conformity of the me generation and its excesses. It was meant to disturb and shock, so you've got a pretty broad area to experiment in there. It was also meant to be cheap and thrown together (read: stolen or second hand).

Bass style. Unique and maybe different because we are unique within the band. And frankly as soon as you put punk into a defined style you've pretty much defeated the purpose of punk fashion and this whole discussion just becomes moot.
Quote by Doodleface
It's punk, wear whatever the f*ck you want.

You could not be more right.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
the look doesn't make the player, cool. the player makes the look, cool. if you rock the crowd, everybody will try to look like you. punk is about non-conformity. anything goes with punk. punk-on!!
Dude, what kind of punk are you! Asking us how to look punk, punk is all about not conforming and being yourself, not being some "I have to look punk, because I'm so non-conformist I conform to non-conformity." type of person. I wear whatever I want whenever I want, same with my sleeping and eating habits(and most of my other habits too) So just do whatever you want to
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
Quote by PunkRocker33133
Dude, what kind of punk are you! Asking us how to look punk, punk is all about not conforming and being yourself, not being some "I have to look punk, because I'm so non-conformist I conform to non-conformity." type of person. I wear whatever I want whenever I want, same with my sleeping and eating habits(and most of my other habits too) So just do whatever you want to

Haha, you guys are right...thanks for the wake-up call, ill just wear what i want
dude do u what u want, i play metal and iwear a Houston Rockets jersey
Quote by The_Seventh_Sin
im a metal guitarist
which means i dont pay attention to punk or bass players

Then why the fuck did you post?
use whatever you want to use!!!!
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by FbSa
I don't think it matters how you look but how you sound.

Now next time before posting in here please consult the latest Cosmo Girl first.

+1

Lol
barbour jacket, wellies, plus 4's and a spaniel at heel....so posh, it'll confuse the average punk listener
Last edited by EvilWeevil at Nov 20, 2007,
If you play punk music well , then you are a punk rock bassist, thus making whatever you have on the proper look for a punk bassist.
Seriously, if you play well it really dosent matter.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Zycho
This is why punk is dead.

agreed, asking what to wear in a punk band is so not punk
This is how a punk bassist should look:

Stop wasting my time!
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
All the best punk rockers I've seen wear pink lingerie and assless chaps.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Hergiswi
All the best punk rockers I've seen wear pink lingerie and assless chaps.

Christina Aguilera is Punk Bassist?!?
Quote by GuitarHero0715
Yellow Pants and Johnny Rock T-shirts.
Worn out Chucks.
Gloves and Wristbands, not overdone though.
The shirt has to be torn to a point where you can see most of your torso, and the shirt seems unnecesary.(But it always is.)

I dunno, it depends if he is wanting a modern day punk. Thats more 80ish.
Joey! Watch your speed!
Tight plaid pants, straight laced combat boots, sleeveless band shirts and a mohawk...

NO! Well yes you can if you want to, but punk is an attitude, not a look. Do whatever the hell you want as long as you're putting all your energy into it.
Quote by joeyj123
I am in awe of your sizzling wit. please, accept this congratulatory e-cookie, and accompanying basket.
Honestly there is no image of punk. Don't try to look like a sterotypical punk. Just where what you want. Conformism is the reason punk is dead.
the idea of a "proper 'punk' anything" seems completely hypocritical to me, and the fact that you inquire scares me.

Wasn't punk about not being proper, or expected, or matching, or fitting it.

Wear mismatched shoes, pants that have one leg as shorts, a shirt that says "Green Day sucks", a backwards hat, and a $ gold chain necklace.

that'd be the most punkest thing I can think of for now.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
But yet, this proper "punk" look is just too true. There are genres that have honest beginnings, then they get popular, people make their money, and then it's manufactured to a point where it has it's own identity. Punk-by-numbers. Rap-by-numbers. YouTube "Metal-by-numbers." What is the proper punk look? There is one, believe me. I just don't know what it is because I don't bother with it. The fact that 35 year olds like Mark Hoppus and Mike Dirnt even have punk connotations to them just proves it - they're closer to my parents' age then my age. I doubt in the early days a 35 year old performer could leave the club alive if they called themselves punk. Punk ain't dead - it's over.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
But yet, this proper "punk" look is just too true. There are genres that have honest beginnings, then they get popular, people make their money, and then it's manufactured to a point where it has it's own identity. Punk-by-numbers. Rap-by-numbers. YouTube "Metal-by-numbers." What is the proper punk look? There is one, believe me. I just don't know what it is because I don't bother with it. The fact that 35 year olds like Mark Hoppus and Mike Dirnt even have punk connotations to them just proves it - they're closer to my parents' age then my age. I doubt in the early days a 35 year old performer could leave the club alive if they called themselves punk. Punk ain't dead - it's over.

But wait! It gets worse! The Sex Pistols are having a reunion tour! And there will be no swearing!
Last edited by Captain Insano at Nov 22, 2007,
just wear anything you want. i don't think it really matters in a punk band as long as you can play and put on a good show
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
Quote by Captain Insano
But wait! It gets worse! The Sex Pistols are having a reunion tour! And there will be no swearing!

Well at least Mr. Rotten will still have his coloured hair.

Come to think of it, Pete Wentz is no spring chicken at 28. It must be great to be wanted by girls half your age... and probably the same height.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Nov 22, 2007,
yeah dont worry about what u wear....

just play like matt freeman,a no bull**** punk bassist
Page 1 of 2