if im playing a solo and the first note i hit on the solo is a C on the 2nd string, would the solo be in a key of C?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by kazra90
if im playing a solo and the first note i hit on the solo is a C on the 2nd string, would the solo be in a key of C?

No.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Also you have to keep in mind that lots of guitarist use modes, so you could be playing C Mixolydian which would be F Major, or D minor, for finding out what key your in, if you have the music simply look at the key signature, if you have the tabs or are tabbing it out, use the chords to figure out what key it's in. Solos can be very tricky, as can chords, but chords are a more reliable way of finding out what key your in.
for example if i was playing the pentatonic minor scale in the key of E, meaning it starts on the 6th string 12th fret, but start on B on the 5h string. would it be in the key of B or would it still be in the key of E?
equipment:
Esp EC-1000
ibanez rg550
Peavey 5150 combo
Boss ML-2 Metal core pedal
DB-01 crybaby from hell

Quote by dubstar92
Tell the friend that due to an amp explosion you are now temporarily deaf and will judge her friend solely on looks.
Quote by kazra90
for example if i was playing the pentatonic minor scale in the key of E, meaning it starts on the 6th string 12th fret, but start on B on the 5h string. would it be in the key of B or would it still be in the key of E?

No you'd be in E not B. It doesn't matter what note you use first.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
I was under the impression that the chords determined the key of a song, not the solo. The solo adapts to the chord changes, or breaks the boundaries of the chord progression, but generally doesn't change the key of the song. Look at the underlying chords first. Correct me if I'm wrong.
^Your completely correct. Although chords can break key, secondary dominants anyone?
Quote by Anything Goes
No you'd be in E not B. It doesn't matter what note you use first.
It does indeed matter. The root note of every mode is the most consonant note. Most composers/writers/musicians like to start their melody all consonant and shiny. But hey, I love shocking the listened into submission by playing the most dissonant note I can find first.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.