Ok so I've been thinking lately, with buying a new guitar and everything. How much should I worry about what wood a fretboard is?

What are the differences between ebony, rosewood, and maple?
what kind of tones do I get from each and do they feel different?
Ive heard people saying some have better cleans and whatnot.

So far Ive tried rosewood and ebony, but I didn't really notice a difference because the guitars both had different body woods/pickups too.
One is feel.
Maple feels amazing becase it is usually finished, whereas rosewood feels the direst.
Maple will have the brightest tone, beony the warmest and rosewood the most neutral
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by glowskulls
ebony plays the best

What makes it the best in your opinion?

Also it doesn't really matter to me what they look like, im just looking for a guitar with nice tone right now.
I find Ebony fretboards to give alot nicer of a sound for pinch harmonics. I'm not too sure on the other types.
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

www.myspace.com/readysetbingo

Quote by Baba O'Riley
SGRocker407 you have some epic hair. Most curly.
i like the look of ebony with a black guitar, and ebony feels nicer
but withn others id go with rosewood, because i like the feel of them too
Quote by georgeazguitar
What makes it the best in your opinion?

Also it doesn't really matter to me what they look like, im just looking for a guitar with nice tone right now.

it just feels the best to my fingers, i don't know why, personal preferance probably.
i dont think the fretboard wood rly matters THAT much. unless your like eric johnson and like psycho about tone
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Really, it's all up to you. Go to a local shop and play as many guitars as you can, and see what you prefer/dislike about all of them, and make a desicion on that, rather than what people on UG tell you...
Quote by DagMX
One is feel.
Maple feels amazing becase it is usually finished, whereas rosewood feels the direst.
Maple will have the brightest tone, beony the warmest and rosewood the most neutral

actually, ebony is the brightest of the 3 as far as I know.
Ebony will sound the brightest, rosewood warmest, and maple in the middle (although closer to the brighter side) of the two.
I think the general rule of thumb is that rosewood is warmer and mellower while maple and ebony are brighter and snappier. You mileage is definitely going to vary though since the fretboard is only part of the whole sound.
Quote by Comfortablylomb
I think the general rule of thumb is that rosewood is warmer and mellower while maple and ebony are brighter and snappier. You mileage is definitely going to vary though since the fretboard is only part of the whole sound.

Well right now im settling on a mahogany body, a neck thru maple neck, and ebony board for woods.
The tone between the woods doesn't make *that* much difference. Maple is the brightes, Rosewood is the warmest, and ebony is the most punchy and percussive (like Comfortablylomb said) but ebony also has a tone dampening effect which some don't like. All of these woods feel very different. Maple is soft and stains and therefor gets a finish over it. I think the finish makes it feel sticky when my hands get sweaty and I don't like it. Many people think maple plays faster. Rosewood feels the roughest and the most organic. Ebony feels silky and smooth. I think that the feel of the fretboard is much more important that the tone from the fretboard. There are so many other variables that can more than make up for the subtle changes in tone due to fretboard material.
Not taking any online orders.
I've heard (not actually put this to test yet as I've only ever tried the guitar in general over the fret board wood when I've tried guitars) Maple is the brightest, Rosewood is darker and EBony is bright with better sustain.

Now you'll get people saying "Maple is better for blues" "Ebony is better for metal" blah blah blah because the guitars that are steriotyped for genre use this, like ESP use ebony a lot, fender strats seem to be favoured in maple a lot, so steriotypes are made.
Anyway the main thing about fingerboard as the feel, now I havent tried ebony but I have tried maple and rosewood, maple seems a lot "slicker" and somewhat "slippery" but not in a bad way where as rosewood is more tractioned.
Quote by james4
Really, it's all up to you. Go to a local shop and play as many guitars as you can, and see what you prefer/dislike about all of them, and make a desicion on that, rather than what people on UG tell you...
actually, ebony is the brightest of the 3 as far as I know.
Ebony will sound the brightest, rosewood warmest, and maple in the middle (although closer to the brighter side) of the two.

yep, ebony is the hardest wood so it will sound the brightest
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
The most obvious difference is the color, ebony being darkest. Maple cannot be cleaned, and after a while the fretboard has blackish brownish dirt colored stuff on it. Rosewood is softer than ebony, thats about it. and they can be cleaned unlike maple
Maple is the nicest looking but it gets very dirty after a while and it's hard to clean because the dirt kinda absorbs into the wood. Rosewood is the most common but i think it's boring looking, same goes for ebony. My friend has a squire tele and the maple neck on it got filthy.
I have rosewood on my guitar and while it's a crappy guitar I'd much rather play on a maple fretboard, they just feel nicer. And everyone is talking about maple necks getting dirty, but I think the dirt "spots" give the guitar "character", call me crazy.
You Look Like I Need A Drink
Quote by Epedemic
I have rosewood on my guitar and while it's a crappy guitar I'd much rather play on a maple fretboard, they just feel nicer. And everyone is talking about maple necks getting dirty, but I think the dirt "spots" give the guitar "character", call me crazy.

I like it when maple yellows with age but when it's dirty it looks a bit.... y'know. But yea i would rather have maple than rosewood. I played a fender tele maple neck in a shop and it felt really nice.
Personally I perfer rosewood but my guitar teacher loves maple fretboard. Anyway, I think it's a personal perfence.
The Cats are out in town.
Kat Gear
Crybaby Wah
Whammy pedal
Ibanez SZ520
Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive
Vox AD30VT
MXR Distortion III
Taylor acoustic.
Yamaha Pacifica 102
Maple is my guitar fret board and so is my kramers fret board. I think maple is the best because it has a great smoothness and its good for anything.(the kramer hasnt been taken out and jammed with or oiled for years but its fretboard still looks nice and smooth.)
Main Admin and creator of Chicnstu.
-Peavey + Washburn Amps
-Zakk Wylde Overdrive Distortion stompbox
-EVH Phase-90 Phaser stompbox
-Crybaby Limited Edition Wah
-Crybaby 535Q Wah
-Crybaby Slash Wah
-Coffin Blood Drive Distortion stompbox