Yesterday I bought a nice little 30w Marshall combo. When I plug my SG into it, I get this pretty annoying constant static sound. When I plug my accoustic/electric Ovation into it, there is no static whatsoever.

This would lead my to think something is wrong with my SG, but I've plugged my SG into my roommate's amp and my friend's amp numerous times and there's no static.

I bought a new monster cable yesterday as well.

I don't know whats going on...

Do you use any pedals with your electric that you don't use with your acoustic?
It's a process, not an event.
It's because it's a Marshall MG.....sadly, your amp is doing what it was made to do.

They aren't very good amps, dude.

Hope you can still return it.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I was going to buy the 50, but all they had in was the 30 and the 100; so it was either drop 500 bucks or 200.
Quote by dudetheman
It's because it's a Marshall MG.....sadly, your amp is doing what it was made to do.

They aren't very good amps, dude.

Hope you can still return it.

Any reason why it doesnt do it for one guitar, but does for the other? And a buddy of mine has an MG50 and his doesnt do what mine is doing...
Quote by andylow
I was going to buy the 50, but all they had in was the 30 and the 100; so it was either drop 500 bucks or 200.

DON'T IGNORE ME, WHORE

Is it the MG30? If so it's just as good as amy winehouse's hair.
i'm gonna guess its from the different kinds of pickups that acoustic-electrics use. i really don't know what else it could be, besides the amp. yeah, return the MG.
it's just the mg series. the mg30 was my first amp.................though it's crappy compared to my vox
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Maybe its the jack on that guitar.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
That happened to me with my SG. In the end I went into the guitar and found out that there was a wire that needed to be sautered, although you said it worked with other amps so most likely it has something to do with the MG (which you should probably return)
Quote by andylow
Any reason why it doesnt do it for one guitar, but does for the other? And a buddy of mine has an MG50 and his doesnt do what mine is doing...

Maybe your SG's ground wire isn't touching the bridge like it's supposed to.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
acoutic-electrics usually have active pick-ups, you wont get any noise from them even if they being played through a cardboard box with a speaker
Well even the MG shoulldnt give massive amonuts of static. Just go back to the store and say hey, somethings wrong so replace it. And be on your way
Computer screens and televisions often cause electromagnetic interference.

This interference is picked up by the (presumably) electromagnetic pups in your SG, and not the piezoelectronic crystals in your Ovation.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Computer screens and televisions often cause electromagnetic interference.

This interference is picked up by the (presumably) electromagnetic pups in your SG, and not the piezoelectronic crystals in your Ovation.

That's not the case. I've already tried it without my TV or computer on.

I guess it's not all that big of a deal. It's not that expensive and my brother wants to learn to play; so my mom is buying him a guitar for Christmas. I'll just give it to him and buy a new one.