How much does it cost to have a professional install a passive neck pickup on a guitar that has no position for it? Or is it just easier to try and do it yourself? I'm afraid to do it myself, but with proper encouragement and motivation I may just mess up a little bit less.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/DiMarzio-DP158-Evolution-Neck-Pickup-302950-i1127901.gc

That's what I'm putting in the neck position.

It's a Jackson RR24 with an EMG 81 in the bridge. There's nothing but a volume knob on the front.

(SD slot on computer is broken, more pics soon...)
EDIT: (My SD slot is PERMANENTLY broken, I will now utilize MS Paint. Sorry about this, should be sorted out soon.)

I'm living in Missouri, which is in the USA... therefore I use USD.

There's exactly1/2 inch space between where the cavity for the tremolo springs is in the back, and where the neck pickup SHOULD be in the front. Also, it's neck through construction.
Last edited by Firequacker at Nov 19, 2007,
what kind of guitar is it?
The style of pickup mounting will greatly affect the cost. If the guitar has a pickguard, it's as simple as buying a new pickguard with the proper sized pickup mounting holes and doing some basic re-wiring, and you may as well do it yourself, but if you're guitar's rear routed (the control cavity is in the back, and there's no pickguard), then you'll have to route a new cavity for it, which will make it much harder as well as more costly if you were to get it done profesionally.
It's a Jackson RR24, so yea, it's got a cavity in the rear.

Heh... cavity in the rear...heh.

So, in this situation, how much do you guys think it would cost?
Last edited by Firequacker at Nov 18, 2007,
Why did you buy that guitar if you want a neck pickup? Doesn't jackson have other alternatives like it, with neck pups?

A pro would probably charge something like 200 dollars. Excluding the costs of the pickup.

I really don't know why people go to the forums and asks questions like this, why don't you go and ask you local guitar shop?
I have no idea what I'm talking about. Don't belive me.
I'd rather sit on my ass and do it in 5 minutes than take 30 minutes to drive there, 30 minutes to talk, and 30 minutes to get back.

As for your first question, does everyone always know what they're going to do with something before they get it? No. Plus, I didn't have the money for the more expensive models back then.
Quote by Firequacker
I'd rather sit on my ass and do it in 5 minutes than take 30 minutes to drive there, 30 minutes to talk, and 30 minutes to get back.

As for your first question, does everyone always know what they're going to do with something before they get it? No. Plus, I didn't have the money for the more expensive models back then.
... and the answers that you get will have just as much difference in quality as the time invested. There is NO WAY to know what your local luthiers are like. How much they charge is how much they charge. Knowing what the luthiers in my area would charge is meaningless.

You didn't bother to post a pic of your guitar, no less one with the cavity covers removed. That will tell a great deal about how easy or difficult it will be to add another pickup.

This has NECK THROUGH construction. Routing to accommodate a neck pickup will not be easy. You can't remove the neck, so you will need to attach a plate to the body to raise the height far above the fretboard when you rout. This can serve as a template for routing the pickup cavity, as well.

It's not likely you have the skills to do this kind of work on a guitar that has value. Perhaps you do, but nothing in what you've posted so far suggests that. Were this a Squire or an Agile, I'd say why not. Since this is a pro-series Jackson, it's either take this to a luthier, or trade up. The latter probably makes more sense.

Or just stumble through this and who knows how it will end up.

Good luck, whichever you choose to do.
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Firequacker

When I said this, I was talking about his comment on why people even care to ask these questions on forums... That's what the forums are made for.

That's besides the point... But anyways, you believe it's easier to just trade/sell it for a model with a neck pickup? I guess that sounds good. Hopefully something without EMGs, so I don't HAVE to keep them because of the hassle to replace them...
Last edited by Firequacker at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by Firequacker
... But anyways, you believe it's easier to just trade/sell it for a model with a neck pickup? I guess that sounds good. Hopefully something without EMGs, so I don't HAVE to keep them because of the hassle to replace them...

Probably your first stop should be to Jackson's site. jacksonguitars.com

I'm sure they have a dozen models with the same body shape, if that's what you want, with various pickup choices, some passive, some active. Look at the specs, then you'll know which models will be of interest to you. Search the common retailers online for those models, and you'll be able to compare new cost, vs your guitar when it was new. That begins to give you some insight into relative value. Of course you won't get full value for your used guitar when you trade it in on a new one.

Quote by Firequacker
When I said this, I was talking about his comment on why people even care to ask these questions on forums... That's what the forums are made for.

I understand his point, as well as your reply. A well thought out OP preempts any bickering. If you give as much info in your OP as you can, you'll have a better chance of getting useful answers, even on a difficult question like this one. Asking about how to replace a pickup in a Strat or LP guitar has been done by many of the members here. Few of them have ever held a RR24 in their hands, let alone seen one. The difficultly level of routing for a neck pickup is not the sort of question you're likely to get useful answers for. The cost has much to do with locale. You didn't even bother to mention what country you're in. This IS an international forum, you know. We don't even know what currency you're on.

If you include enough pertinent info in your OP to give people an understanding of what you're dealing with, you can get usually get decent answers. If not, you'll be perceived as being lazy and just wanting to hear yourself talk. Don't let that happen. You'd be more successful going to the Pit and starting a thread about your penis. Amusing, lots of chatter, but little of use comes from it.

Lazy OPs are annoying. They suggest that you believe your time is more valuable than others'. People either ignore them, or give flippant responses. Work on improving your OP or expect poor responses. If you escalate in hostility with people giving you poor responses, expect to be run out of town, on a rail.

... after being properly tarred and feathered, of course.

Instead of starting 10 half-assed threads in the span of 4 days, try starting a couple of well crafted threads, as well as trying to read as many threads as possible.

1 - By reading other threads, you'll get a better feel for what works, and what fails.

2 - You will also find other opportunities where YOU might be able to contribute to the community. You've spent much more time on your own threads, than on others'. Helping is a two-way street.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thank you, oh great master of forum-based philosophy.

I hereby post pictures, as well as other needed information.