I'm looking for a practice amp, due to having young kids I don't see tube in my future since I won't be able to get it loud enough. I'd like to purchase something from Digitech or Line 6 for effects so I'm not sure if I need the preset tones on an amp. Discuss!
What about one of the 5-10 Watt Valve amps like the Epiphone Valve Junior, Fender Blues Junior, Peavey Royal 8 etc

They aren't exceptionally loud, and give a much better sound that a Modelling amp.

Not a lot of control over them, especially with the VJ just having a volume, however if you plan on using pedals/multiFX, that shouldn't be a problem.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
I agree with mck, just get a small tube it would kick the **** out of a small solid state.
5watt epi or crate would be great and take effects well.

edit:I don't know if these amps have a headphone port, but if you get a multi fx unit you can play straight out of that without needing an amp (just connect to headphones). I do this for late night playing.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
you could go tube. but at low volumes tubes and SS sound really close anyway. so why not get a cube 30 or a Vox AD15/30VT. depending on your style
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Quote by Miggy01
I agree with mck, just get a small tube it would kick the **** out of a small solid state.
5watt epi or crate would be great and take effects well.

edit:I don't know if these amps have a headphone port, but if you get a multi fx unit you can play straight out of that without needing an amp (just connect to headphones). I do this for late night playing.

Right now I have a little pocket pod which does great with headphones and late night playing. I thought that for a tune you had to crank it to get the true sound. I just want something that's not going to sound like crap when I run the effects through it and needs alot of tinkering to sound decent.

Quote by ssguitar

you could go tube. but at low volumes tubes and SS sound really close anyway. so why not get a cube 30 or a Vox AD15/30VT. depending on your style.

Fender Strat guitar want to play Aerosmith, Stones, Crue, Tesla, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Poison etc.
Then get an epi junior or fender champ 600 (I think thats the right one). They're both a decent price, not too loud, and only have a volume dial. Therefore most of your sound would be tailored by the POD, which you already know how to use
^ you could do that or get a micro cube (played one yesterday, quiet enjoyed for a SS) they are more geared to the heavier side.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
As I've said so many times on here, things are exaggerated and twisted so much.
You don't NEED to crank a valve amp to make it sound good, or better than SS- cranking a valve amp simply makes it a LOT better, but valves still sound great at low volumes
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Peavey Valveking Royal 8, 5watt tube combo with a headphone jack, $200USD.