Page 1 of 3
how do you explain shredding?

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Playing really really really really really really reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally fast.
Diezel, Motherfucker
Pretty much revolves around guitar, technical passages, use of techniques such as hammer-ons and pull-offs and sweep picking, played very fast, generally no vocalists just lead guitar.
Shredding is the ability to play really really really really well, often with blistering speed, laser-like precision and crushing intensity, and not hide any of your abilities

To play with a level of virtuosity that tears your audience a new asshole.
in short,,,fast lol
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Shredding is the tool that removes obstacles, so that physical details don't stand in the way of making art
Soulless, methodical music designed to impress chicks and make you look like a living human god. (Hint Hint, Steve Vai putting a fan on his hair while he plays to blow it back, like he's friggin Fabio or something.)

Pathetic, in my opinion. We're all human. xD
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Soulless, methodical music designed to impress chicks and make you look like a living human god. (Hint Hint, Steve Vai putting a fan on his hair while he plays to blow it back, like he's friggin Fabio or something.)

Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia

You're impressed by it? Does it EVER get boring for you?

If Steve Vai put half as much effort into putting emotion and soul into his songs, as opposed to his technique and effort to make himself look like God, his music would actually be pleasant to listen to for me.
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by SlinkyBlue

moron. you always make stupid self opionated comments.
Quote by Scumbag1792
Steve Vai.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8aVlLguYkIY&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=J3Eo1bXom2I&feature=related

Steve is an incredible guitarist, but technique-wise Rusty wins hands down and since we're talking shredding, yes, technique is important

Looking for super clean picking?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fOLZ6z959U8&feature=related
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 18, 2007,
Quote by DieKrupps

And you're always offensive, negative and self-rightous.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
You're impressed by it? Does it EVER get boring for you?

If Steve Vai put half as much effort into putting emotion and soul into his songs as much as he puts his technique into it, his music would actually be pleasant to listen to for me.

You have obvioulsly not listened to the right shred artists then. Listen to "Tender Surrender" or "For the Love of God" By Vai.
I am not one of those people who listens to people like MAB by the way
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
To each his own. I don't like shredding, just because everyone does it. I say **** that and I improvise something punk. You can all lick my left testicle because I dislike this neo-classical garbage.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
To each his own. I don't like shredding, just because everyone does it. I say **** that and I improvise something punk. You can all lick my left testicle because I dislike this neo-classical garbage.

It's strange. I just don't get elitists.............
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
You have obvioulsly not listened to the right shred artists then. Listen to "Tender Surrender" or "For the Love of God" By Vai.
I am not one of those people who listens to people like MAB by the way

I have listened to both of those songs. I dislike Tender Surrender, and For The Love Of God is ridiculously corny. I have no idea how that ever got to be recorded with the orchestra. Listen to true classical music if you want to hear it...listen to George Winston's season albums. Vai's composition is sub-par when you compare it to the real thing.

By the way, what is MAB?
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I have listened to both of those songs. I dislike Tender Surrender, and For The Love Of God is ridiculously corny. I have no idea how that ever got to be recorded with the orchestra. Listen to true classical music if you want to hear it...listen to George Winston's season albums. Vai's composition is sub-par when you compare it to the real thing.

By the way, what is MAB?

Oh well, I can't argue with opinions. MAB is Michael Angelo Batio by the way
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by DieKrupps

of course he makes self opinionated comments, why the **** would he comment with someone elses opinion? And just becuase he has a different opinion than yours, doesn't make him a moron, but your comment does make you a deuche bag.
Quote by HLrocker
of course he makes self opinionated comments, why the **** would he comment with someone elses opinion? And just becuase he has a different opinion than yours, doesn't make him a moron, but your comment does make you a deuche bag.

That made me laugh so true. Everyone's opinion is "self-opinionated".

I just don't like Vai, I think he's overrated. He's got great technique and he's fast. But that only takes you so far. The man dresses in clothing and talks as if he's above everyone else and better than you, richer than you. I dislike him the same reason why I dislike EVH...remember when he said that Jimi Hendrix is nothing compared to him?

Anyway for the sake of the thread and to stay on topic...I think that shred is just a kid's fad, playing really fast taken to the next level.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue

By the way, what is MAB?

Are you one of those blues etlists that think they're better than everyone else? Don't get me wrong, I used to be one of them too.

"OH, WE PLAY WITH FEELINGS AND YOU DON'T SO WE'RE BETTER THAN YOU."

Please,

Be open minded.

Anyway, I have to agree, I'm not much of a fan of Steve Vai either--and incredible player, but just not into his music.

More into Paul Gilbert since he integrates his blues/rock roots into his shred playing.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

More into Paul Gilbert since he integrates his blues/rock roots into his shred playing.

Oh yes. Paul Gilbert > all!
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by johnny_tapia
Oh yes. Paul Gilbert > all!

Now that's something we can all agree on.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Now that's something we can all agree on.

Excellent
Quote by atomkat
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Hooray for Blues Elitists!

Please don't make ignorant comments. Blues isn't the only form of music with feeling. The fourth movement of "Moonlight Sonata" has some incredibly fast runs, you're going to tell me Beethoven had no feeling? SRV (he's your avatar by the way) had some fast runs in his soloing, I'm sure you think he has feeling. I can't get too mad though, because you're clearly ignorant of anything out side of the Blues Scale. Listen to Pace de Lucia's playing (if you can find the will to listen to Classical/Flamenco guitar) and tell me it's not full of emotion.

I used to be like you, and I still absolutely love B.B. King, Johnny Winter, etc., and am quite well-versed in the Blues universe, but you have to realize that by making these comments you only embarrass yourself. It's all right, I don't think anybody takes you seriously anyway.
Quote by SlinkyBlue

You, sir, are a dumbass.

Watch any video of paul gilbert playing live, you can see he's enjoying playing his guitar. He has an enthusiasm for the instrument which would put anyone on this forum to shame.

These 'shredders' spend hours upon hours alone practising, basically shunning human contact and reducing their social lives to almost zero and yet you say it's to pick up chicks. I've yet to meet one girl remotely interested in shred, they do exist, but most girls would rather listen to an acoustic song than some extremely complicated licks set to a complex time signature.

Also, the Stave Vai fan thing is to add an extra dimension to his live show. The same way Pink Floyd had the wall, and velvet underground had the light show and slipknot have the masks. The flowing hair makes the music seem 'epic' or something.

If you don't like a certain genre, fair enough but don't say it's soulless because it just makes you look stupid because emotion in music is subjective. Just because you aren't moved by a song, doesn't mean the artist put no 'soul' into it.

Also +1 to xFilth.

just because you can play fast doesn't mean you have to. And just because someone's a 'shredder' doesn't mean that all they play is 18nps wank.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Are you one of those blues etlists that think they're better than everyone else? Don't get me wrong, I used to be one of them too.

=D I don't think "I" am better than anyone. As a matter of fact, I think I suck monkey scrotum...I just happen to think music played from the soul is more enjoyable than music played from the mind. I think you all know what I'm saying...music played for yourself, not music played to impress.

I'll look into Paul Gilbert =)
-Jim Morrison
Quote by johnny_tapia
It's strange. I just don't get elitists.............

I don't think it's an emotionless, robotic thing, but it's so over-used and glorified that it's not unique or cool to me anymore. That's why I try to come up with my own techniques and styles.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
=D I don't think "I" am better than anyone. As a matter of fact, I think I suck monkey scrotum...I just happen to think music played from the soul is more enjoyable than music played from the mind. I think you all know what I'm saying...music played for yourself, not music played to impress.

I'll look into Paul Gilbert =)

If you're going to quote someone don't edit the wording. Again, your arguments fail miserably. Why would these people practice for 10 hours a day if they didn't enjoy it? "Play it for themselves"? I can assure you they don't do it for the money, as these records sell MUCH less copies than the compressed, packaged pop/indie albums out.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
And you're always offensive, negative and self-rightous.

hows this for offensive

your a human being.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
I don't think it's an emotionless, robotic thing, but it's so over-used and glorified that it's not unique or cool to me anymore. That's why I try to come up with my own techniques and styles.

I enjoy writing irregular rock-punk rhythms and using the pentatonic scales for fills and solos. It's kinda a modern-hendrix-ish vibe.

To whoever posted before me...I don't see why people wouldn't "take me seriously". I don't see why anyone would show so much appreciation to such an overly glorified artist. Its just music...thats all it is...his flashy apparel and self-rightous attitude are unneccasary. Have you guys read his articles in newspapers, when he is interviewed? He says things such as "I play so fast that most people I try to play with cannot keep up with me, therefore I have no choice but to go solo."

EDIT -
If you're going to quote someone don't edit the wording. Again, your arguments fail miserably. Why would these people practice for 10 hours a day if they didn't enjoy it? "Play it for themselves"? I can assure you they don't do it for the money, as these records sell MUCH less copies than the compressed, packaged pop/indie albums out.

Theres no need for flaming or hating. I have nothing against your tastes, I'm merely stating my own views and experiences.

Not to mention I didn't even edit what he said...apart than separating the segment I was directed at...
-Jim Morrison
Last edited by SlinkyBlue at Nov 18, 2007,
I'd love to meet paul gilbert, asides being a fantastic guitarist, he seems like the nicest guy ever lol.

Oh and check out Dream Theater/John Petrucci, I think he combines shred with emotion well
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Page 1 of 3