hey, ive been playing electric for 3 years now and i always wanted an acoustic but now i finally have the cash flow i need to get a decent one...i'm leaning towards an acoustic that i can plug into my amp but am not sure...the type of music i would be playing would be along the lines of acoustic guns n roses, jack johnson, some country, some blues, and some modern rock, so pretty much everything...i'm not a big fan of natural wood color guitars but it is not a huge deal
Quote by Tom_hatton

Second of all, you are female. Therefore, you do not deserve an opinion.

Quote by Rock'N'Soul
Oh! I'm also happy I was the fastest sperm.

Quote by Megadeth2011
That is quite possibly one of the best ideas someone has told me yet. Crackattack ur pretty smart.
Look at Parkwood sold at GC and MF. They list for $499. I have one I'm trying to sell since I bought a new one and the wife won't let me keep it. Parkwood is Korean made and all solid wood Mahogany and Sitka Spruce. Has great sound. I'm moving up to a Blueridge BR240 which is a little higher up the food chain.

I'm trying to sell mine for $300. I have an add at Slamomaha.com Look for Guitar Hack in the Classifieds if interested. I can also recommend Zager Zad 50. You might be able to get a blem one for a little cheaper. Zagerguitars.com
This is my pick of the bunch
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Alvarez-Professional-Series-PD80S-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518823

fantastic quality guitars, solid back, play well, sound great etc etc.
Dont get an ibanez, dont get a martin in that price range.
Other brands to look at are Takamine, Seagull, Yamaha (slightly below your pricerange) Parkwood as said, just watch out for build quality, there are some dodgy versions out there but if you get a decent one there good.
ive just gone and bought myself a yamaha LL6,i think it will cost a bit less in america than it did here in europe,i also like jack johnson style strumming songs and this guitar has a nice warm sound,its got a nice easy to play neck,might be worth checking it out.i dont envy you as i know how hard it is to make a decision on a new guitar,this was the one for me in my price range,good luck with your hunting
"Dont get an ibanez, dont get a martin in that price range." does ibanez just make below average acoustics in general, or just in that price range?

yeah the thing is, i knew what to look for in an electric guitar when i bought my ibanez sz520 because there is a much greater range and they are more specialized whereas, to me, acoustics all seam the same so it will be hard to tell which is the more solid buy...thanks so far
Quote by Tom_hatton

Quote by Rock'N'Soul

Quote by Megadeth2011
That is quite possibly one of the best ideas someone has told me yet. Crackattack ur pretty smart.
unless you have a special amp that handles acoustic, you could seriously mess up your amp
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
i have a marshall mg50dfx im assuming it would be okay???
Quote by Tom_hatton

Quote by Rock'N'Soul

Quote by Megadeth2011
Quote by Sam_Prillaman
unless you have a special amp that handles acoustic, you could seriously mess up your amp

No it won't, but a dedicated acoustic amp will most likely sound better. That's why people buy them.
yeah, you cant mess up an amp by plugging in an acoustic.
Ridiculous idea.
But yeah, an aocustic amp is designed specifically to recreate that clean, pure sparkle of an acoustic guitar. A decent electric amp that has good cleans will work OK, but its just not going to sound the same.

And basically, when looking for a decent acoustic the first thing you look at are its specs. Does it have a solid top (must specifically state solid, not special or select or anything else)?
Then, depending on how much your spending.. does it have solid back and sides? After about $600 i would be defs looking at solid backs and sides. Below that, well there are a few here and there, but as long as its got a solid top...
After I've found out the specs of the guitar (what woods and if theyre solid or not) then i go play the guitar (and every other guitar at the shop in my price range) and find the one that sounds the nicest and plays the nicest. (before getting to the shop i would have researched pretty much all my possibilities in my price range). thats a basic how to buy what to look for type thingy

Oh and, sorry, in your first post i missed the preferably plugged in bit. The guitar i recommended is not an Acoustic Electric. But there is a version for a bit mroe money of it that has a pickup.
Zager, Parkwood, Blueridge. I have Parkwood 310M for sale in the classifieds mainly because my wife is making me sell it. I bought a Blueridge BR240.