I play a lot of rock and stuff like that. Mainly white stripes, metallica, then some black sabbath/ guns n roses/ nirvana/ acdc/rise against/ etc. A few cleans and blues here and there.

Im not in a band or anything, I just use it for my bedroom and occasionally when my family comes over.. so something like 15 watts should do fine.

Please dont recommend anything over 500... I can go new or used, if I need a pedal im fine with that.

Hows this amp?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v16-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826

Also the Peavey Windsor 15 comes out next month, how does that compare?

I just want a solid practice amp that coud suit my style and last me a while so I dont get the itch to upgrade... I currently have a roland cube 15x. Thanks.
well, it depends. the windsor would probably do everything you mentioned except for the cleans and blues better than the palomino. However, it wouldn't be all that hard to get a decent metallica sound out of the palomino, while getting a nice clean sound out of the windsor would be difficult seeing as it has no clean channel, only high- and low- gain input jacks.

For ease of use, go with the Palomino.

For good higher gain tone, go with the Windsor.
The Palomino would be a good choice for that kind of thing, I think. And nobody knows about the Windsor Studio yet. There's one demo of it on Youtube, and not a particularly good one. Nobody knows much about it. We don't even know if you'll be able to get a decent clean tone from it (though we are all hoping you can).
The Palomino is a great choice, especially since it has a separate gain knob. Which should help you get the hard rock stuff, maybe put an overdrive in front if you want heavier. Also the V32 I tried had nice warm cleans.

As for the Peavey I haven't played or heard it, might be good to wait a little and try it out then decide. I heard the head version is JCM800 like which would be great for those styles as well I assume, but i've never tried the Peaveys.

The Palomino is pretty good though and i'd go for that.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
if the windsor studio is like the stack then cleans arent there. def. check out the old palomino V8's and V16's. you will probably need an OD to reach some of those tones, but you can get a Digitech Bad Monkey for $40. Or if you get a used V8 you can get it about $150 (i think) which leaves you tons for pedals.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^ your all about that traynor arent you? lol. every 2-3 threads i read i see that suggested. I havent had a chance to try one, all ive tried is the traynor custom 80 (sp?). that might be a little much for home use dont ya thing though?

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
^ well i cant say much i can crank my jcm900 at home, i just wear earplugs in the middle of the day when the parents arent home. hehe

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
Alright, thanks for the replies. It's either the Palomino or the Vox ad30vt. But it seems as if the Palomino is a better choice?
yes it is
Quote by Chikitty_China
Good lord. You are amazing.

Quote by Jestersage
It's stereo amp, and I don't think it's tube. However, for a stereo amp, it is very good. Don't plug guitar into it; just use it as hi-fi if it works.
Quote by Supafly1824
Alright, thanks for the replies. It's either the Palomino or the Vox ad30vt. But it seems as if the Palomino is a better choice?

Yup, I own the Vox ad30vt. Great amp in it's own right and very versatile, but i'd much rather take the all tube Palomino.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

i'd say unless you're desparate for it, it's worth waiting for the windsor studio, just in case it'll do what you want. if not, you can always get the palomino or other similar tube amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Im not that desperate, I mean I could wait and see.

But im thinking the Palomino with a Boss MD2 pedal.. which will go along with my Ibanez SZ. Good choices?
I would definatly wait for the windsor to come out and see if the clean channel is any better. Its gain would nail the sounds you want really well.
Alright, I think I cant resist the Palomino.

Whats a good inexpensive pedal to help me reach the higher gain metallica/rise against stuff? Thats as heavy as my sound gets.
the palo has quiet a bit of gain for classic rock but +1 for the Bad Monkey

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy

JCM900 FOR SELL!
So I was thinking and doing some reserch... and I think the 15 wats of tube is way to loud for my small apartment, and im not gigging anytime soon or anything..

Which means im going for the 5 watt Palamino. I got more cash to toy around with...
Quote by Supafly1824
So I was thinking and doing some reserch... and I think the 15 wats of tube is way to loud for my small apartment, and im not gigging anytime soon or anything..

Which means im going for the 5 watt Palamino. I got more cash to toy around with...

Great you can invest that in a metal, the bad monkey is a pretty good idea especially if you pair it with the OD on your amp I guess, should get you Slash.

Though you could maybe get a metal muff if you really need to get heavy.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Great you can invest that in a metal, the bad monkey is a pretty good idea especially if you pair it with the OD on your amp I guess, should get you Slash.

Though you could maybe get a metal muff if you really need to get heavy.

Ehh, not really liking the sound of the metal muff.

I think ill try the bad monkey out, its cheap, so cant really go wrong. But if theres any other pedal that will suit me better, im listening.
Last edited by Supafly1824 at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by acdcrocks0323
The palomino is a good choice, but the md2 is not. Get a decent overdrive to push it into higher gain music.

yeah the md2 wouldn't be my first choice of boost.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright, then no md2 for me.

So i think ill try the bad monkey... unless theres somethnig better out there... od-3 any good?

And also, how heavy can the monkey get with the amp?
Last edited by Supafly1824 at Nov 19, 2007,
i wouldnt shy away from the v15 so easily. the tubes break up easy and it doesnt take barely any volume to get a good amount of gain on the overdrive channel. and it could be far in the future but i gaurentee someday youll be glad you have those extra watts. i love my palomino (V32). and the amp's gain gets me some metallica in regards to what youre looking for. i think the overdrive has a Marshall-esque tone to it. Then my Guv'nor 2 pushes it the rest of the way but i doubt you need that amount of gain. theres tons of nice OD pedals out there. and as long as you follow some of the basic names these guys will throw your way you cant really go too wrong. sorry for grammer and spelling. pretty busy but still decided to share my knowledge. good luck man!
GEAR

epy lp
palomino v32
marshall guv'nor 2
vox wah

Demetri martin- My computer once beat me at a game of chess, but then I beat it at a game of kickboxing.
Thanks for the input metrobunny.

But when I use my cube 15 i never turn thevcolume past the half way mark, because then it's too loud.

I'm interested in possibly playing for church sometime in a year or so (gotta work on chords), but that probably wont happen soon. So I think the 5 watts is more than enough for my needs.