Well today ive been looking at lp's on the net because I played a custom a bit back and it was fantastic and the I got on to and American web site so I used a currency converter and found that a Gibson lp studio was like 500 pounds where as there usually 800 so then I looked at esp. ec 1000 and there like 380 pounds in America and here there 600 when I go to America im goanna pick my self up one of these its soooo unfair
Quote by jackson rr5
Well today ive been looking at lp's on the net because I played a custom a bit back and it was fantastic and the I got on to and American web site so I used a currency converter and found that a Gibson lp studio was like 500 pounds where as there usually 800 so then I looked at esp. ec 1000 and there like 380 pounds in America and here there 600 when I go to America im goanna pick my self up one of these its soooo unfair

Which is why the internets lets us import this sorta stuff

EDIT: saw the post above.

Even if they do charge tax etc etc, it usually works out cheaper still :/

Though personally I wouldn't import from america.

Damn terrorists ¬¬
^Yeah, every single one of us....... Completely spoiled because we don't have to import made in America guitars.
Quote by OIKEYEVIA
dude that sucks i personally think americans are spoiled...

its more expensive for them.. its like 3000 bucks for a gibby standard and minimum wage is like 7.50 or something
Be happy you're not in switzerland. I am. Everything here is literally twice what it costs in America. But I live close to the french border, and in france everything is much cheaper.
Our bad we dont have to import AMERICAN MADE guitars. Start your own guitar company if you feel this way.
Iceland is more expensive.... a Ibanez Xiphos (just using this guitar as an example) that costs 650$ in USA 954$ in England and 1650$!!!!! in Iceland, so don't complain about things are to expensive
Gear
Ibanez RG2550E
ESP/LTD M-10
Fender FM212R amp
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez WP-7 Wah
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^Yeah, every single one of us....... Completely spoiled because we don't have to import made in America guitars.

Today, Gibsonpenguin raped your brain, fool.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
A large chunk of the price difference is actually our 17.5% rate of VAT. It's worse in some other European countries, the VAT rate is 21% in Ireland and higher in Scandinavia - around 25% or so in Sweden.

On the other hand, our taxes do pay for free healthcare systems etc allowing you to enjoy playing those expensive guitars for longer
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
Amen! England is just soo expensive. Look at the epi valve junior!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
Today, Gibsonpenguin raped your brain, fool.

Not really. You'll find that a guitar not made in America are still more expensive...lets take an Ibanez JEM7V for example:

Price from musiciansfriend.com $2199.99
Price from Thomann £1625.90 (which is about $3200)

Therefore his "raping" which states that it's cheaper because you don't have to import MIA guitars is invalid.

Edit: I don't agree with the whole spoiled thing though that was just a stupid thing to say I was just talking about the price not being about importing etc.
^^Isn't Ibanez based in the US though? I'm not actually positive on this, my reasoning behind this is pretty much solely based on the fact that there is an Ibanez custom shop in LA. So hypothetically, if it is, then you're still importing/buying from a US company.

However, my statement was valid, because earlier in this thread, the only specific guitars mention were Gibson Les Pauls, which are made in America.

^And you guys get relatively cheap prices on Marshalls, Oranges, Laneys and the like I believe.
I might go on holiday to America next year and I'm going to save up and buy a gibson les paul there (or something cheaper)
Meh, if you have family in teh U S/Canada, get them to bring it over and pay them back. S'what I did for my Gibson Firebird, got it for £600 instead of roughly a grand..good deal imho..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
It seems expensive at this moment in time because of the exchange rate. Mind you, only a few years back it was roughly 1.6 dollars to the pound where guitar prices would have been equal.
Yes it seems expensive here in the UK but retailers and manufacturers are not to blame.
Think about it, they can't change the guitar prices everytime the exchange rate changes (keeping in mind ex. rate changes constantly everyday).
Common sense ... somethin' lacking in people these days.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
^^Isn't Ibanez based in the US though?

Well I'm about 98% sure it's based in Japan...
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Laney, Marshall , Orange and Sound City amps.

The only things I love about england

AND VOX!!!!
Quote by ECwomantoneman
AND VOX!!!!

Shame they're owned by Korg now though.

Laneys and Oranges are probably the best deals you can get in the UK for guitar gearz.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Norway is even worse, mate. Just be happy you don't have 25 % VAT on everything
Quote by MrCarrot
Shame they're owned by Korg now though.

Laneys and Oranges are probably the best deals you can get in the UK for guitar gearz.

Yeah cos marshalls are a bit american-ised over price I find.
And Vox do have some nice deals, £500 for an AC30, nice.

Its a shame there are few UK guitar brands.

Though it seems the luthiers around england have nice prices, Cottham guitars (do a lot of Jems) sell a swirled JEM, RG or UV body for around £300/£400, also sell JEM2KDNA (or whatever the official name is) replicas for £1500, which is the price of a regular JEM so, decent
Also there was Feline guitars but they bumped their prices up about £500 recently.
Quote by Miasma909
Well I'm about 98% sure it's based in Japan...

That's why I had that whole little disclaimer about how I don't actually know where it's based. However, there is an Ibanez office in Philadelphia
Quote by Ibanez History in their FAQ-
But for most of us, Ibanez pretty much begins almost 30 years ago, when Hoshino opened an office near Philadelphia, PA for more efficiently distributing Ibanez guitars to the United States

So if the UK does not have one of these such offices, then that might explain why Ibanezes are more expensive there.
link

Quote by Hemani Co
It seems expensive at this moment in time because of the exchange rate. Mind you, only a few years back it was roughly 1.6 dollars to the pound where guitar prices would have been equal.
Yes it seems expensive here in the UK but retailers and manufacturers are not to blame.
Think about it, they can't change the guitar prices everytime the exchange rate changes (keeping in mind ex. rate changes constantly everyday).
Common sense ... somethin' lacking in people these days.

That would make sense if the dollar was appreciating relative to the pound, but it's the other way around. As you have described it, guitars should be less expensive in the UK than in the US.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Yeah cos marshalls are a bit american-ised over price I find.
And Vox do have some nice deals, £500 for an AC30, nice.

Its a shame there are few UK guitar brands.

Though it seems the luthiers around england have nice prices, Cottham guitars (do a lot of Jems) sell a swirled JEM, RG or UV body for around £300/£400, also sell JEM2KDNA (or whatever the official name is) replicas for £1500, which is the price of a regular JEM so, decent
Also there was Feline guitars but they bumped their prices up about £500 recently.

Direct me to where an AC30 can be gotten for £500!!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vox-ac30-cc1-112-custom-clas/67837
£529.

and my local guitar shop had an AC30 head for £500 which is odd cos they grossly overprice things

EDIT: http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vox-ac30-cc2-212-custom-clas/67836
£549, all decent prices.
Last edited by Punk_Ninja at Nov 19, 2007,
Quote by jackson rr5
no question just saying

It's not expensive, it's right for England.. The pound is worth like 2 dollars so that's why American stuff is cheaper at the moment for the UK.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by Donkey Fly
It's not expensive, it's right for England.. The pound is worth like 2 dollars so that's why American stuff is cheaper at the moment for the UK.

And ESP eclipse can be gotten for the same amount as £300 in some places in america yet in england it's priced around £1000, when it's roughly $750-$1000 in america, so yes guitars are overpriced in england (this is one example from many )
Quote by stephen_rettie
its the exchange rate, we know, however they do tax these things and i wouldnt ever trust an airline with these things

I agree they dont give a hell about anything. They'll just lob it on and hope it doesn't break, and TBH if it does there still not boverd.
I think the UK is more expensive because I'm pretty sure the average british guy has a higher income than the average US guy. So the prices are the same relative to how much you earn.

But it kinda sucks if your a kid/student because you don't have proper income, and the trend doesn't really apply to your income anyway.

But I think the bottom line is:

If you didn't know the guys across the pond could get guitars cheaper, you'd probably never think that paying x amount for x guitar was unreasonable.

Still, I WANT MY RG1527 for £300!!!!!

And my £40 EMG 707s in it too