after having all my gear stolen im expecting a good check from insurance. So im planning on getting a nice tube combo. Im looking for something that is more modern sounding or high gain but also has nice cleans. I like play a lot of different stuff, from metallica to led zep to trying satch and vai (unsuccesfully) and everything in between but im looking for a versitile tube amp. i also would prefer an amp where i can turn down the wattage and not destroy my ears/ wake up my roommates.

my budget is 500 -1000. Used or new.

Also im not looking for some big wattage amp unless i can adjust the wattage (or power sponge/attentuator). So im looking primarily up to 15 watts

so guys im sorry for yet another which amp thread. im just looking for some suggestions of amps to try out at guitarcenter and the local shops
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Schecter CSH-1 Semi Hollowbody- W/ Duncans
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Deluxe Double Fat Strat- Pewter
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
Line 6 Flextone II w/floorboard
Mesa F series (30/50)
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
A Ceriatone 18 watter
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
I don't know of any tube amps that fit that criteria. However, have you possibly considered a line 6 vetta 2? I know it's not tube, but in my opinion it's modelling is absolutely fantastic, Ron Thal and Trent Reznor both use them to great effect, and to be honest for versatility and great tone at low (and high if you want it) volumes it would be a better option than any low wattage tube combo.

Edit: Realised this is a few hundred above your budget, disregard this post.
Edit 2: Unless you can find it used.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Last edited by Forcemaster at Nov 18, 2007,
As much as people say it isn't, the 5150 actually is a very versatile amp, and should be able to get all those sounds. The cleans aren't the best, but deffinately not the worst. I have one up for sale (in my sig) that I'd be willing to possibly cut you a deal on if you're interested. It has JJ Hi-Gain tubes in it, which surprisingly cleaned up the Rhythm channel quite a bit.

Otherwise, the only other amp I can think of that comes to mind right now is a Mesa F-30 or F-50.

Any higher gain amps can achieve a good tone at low wattage as most of the gain is in the preamp as opposed to lower gain amps that get most gain from the poweramp's overdrive.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Nov 18, 2007,
look for a used soldano atomic 16 ,they are great amps and usually go for around 750 to 800 on ebay. it's a 20 watt by the way.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25/50 would be my two cents

Express series doesn't have enough gain for what he wants by itself.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Forcemaster
I don't know of any tube amps that fit that criteria. However, have you possibly considered a line 6 vetta 2? I know it's not tube, but in my opinion it's modelling is absolutely fantastic, Ron Thal and Trent Reznor both use them to great effect, and to be honest for versatility and great tone at low (and high if you want it) volumes it would be a better option than any low wattage tube combo.

Edit: Realised this is a few hundred above your budget, disregard this post.
Edit 2: Unless you can find it used.

i had a line 6 flextone before my gear got stolen. The high end line 6's are nice but still dont touch a good tube amp. Im done with any line 6 amps. thanks tho

Quote by MatrixClaw
As much as people say it isn't, the 5150 actually is a very versatile amp, and should be able to get all those sounds. The cleans aren't the best, but deffinately not the worst. I have one up for sale (in my sig) that I'd be willing to possibly cut you a deal on if you're interested. It has JJ Hi-Gain tubes in it, which surprisingly cleaned up the Rhythm channel quite a bit.

Otherwise, the only other amp I can think of that comes to mind right now is a Mesa F-30 or F-50.

Any higher gain amps can achieve a good tone at low wattage as most of the gain is in the preamp as opposed to lower gain amps that get most gain from the poweramp's overdrive.

the 5150 seems like too powerful an amp for me. im definetly going to try the mesas, soldano and the engl because their features seem right up my alley

thnx so far keep the suggestions coming tho guys
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
^ENGLs, Soldanos and other Mesas are just as powerful.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
^ENGLs, Soldanos and other Mesas are just as powerful.

but the mesa express can switch wattage which is making them one of my top choices
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
But it still doesn't have enough gain on it's own.

+1 on the F30.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
i was looking at the F series, my only problem is ive already called all the local mesa dealers and used shops and none have any f series. Im going to test out an express 5:50 and JSX mini Colosal tommorow. But is 30 watts tube a little overkill for a just a practice amp in my room or do i not have to crank it as loud to get overdrive with the f?
NEW GEAR:
Ibanez RG7420
Roland Microcube
B52 AT112 60 watt
Monster Cables

STOLEN:
Gibson SG- w/ SD Invader
Quote by mrdeuce
i was looking at the F series, my only problem is ive already called all the local mesa dealers and used shops and none have any f series. Im going to test out an express 5:50 and JSX mini Colosal tommorow. But is 30 watts tube a little overkill for a just a practice amp in my room or do i not have to crank it as loud to get overdrive with the f?

You don't have to crank any higher gain amp to get a good sound. I regularly practice with my 5150 (at .5/1 on the volume) and it still sounds great. The F series are discontinued, which is why you probably won't find one in-store. With the Express you'd deffinately need a decent OD pedal, maybe even a Metal Muff or something to get it to have enough gain, I'd expect the same from the mimi colosal, but I've never played it so I can't tell you 100%.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah, I woulnd't be surprised if the Mini Colossal was low gain.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420