Page 1 of 2
I only recntly got into soloing but I tend to do WAAAY to many slides, and it ends up sounding...noobish. So I'm interested how does UG solo as in do you bend alot, all sweeps whatever. GO

(I hope this actually turns out as a good thread as opposed to alot of the recent threads of this type)
I can't do sweeps, so I do pentatonic wankery.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I don't

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

I'm not particularly good guitarist. In my music, the guitar just adds to the texture, so when I do solo, it's just a melodic line. Maybe a dual solo.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by noxiosimitator
I don't

neither do i.

rhythm ftw!
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Try to balance out the techniques you use. Use bends, sweeps, taps, slides, shred runs, etc.

But the best advice I could give you is to practice. Download a couple of jam tracks and solo over them.
I use my pick to pluck the strings.
derp
lol u have faggot in ur username

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Everything I say is to be taken as serious fucking business.
A few bends, Slides, lots of Vibrato in Blues Scales. Simple, effective and sounds great.
Quote by darkstar2466
I can't do sweeps, so I do pentatonic wankery.

haha +1
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
pentatonic wanking. on a good day, blues pentatonic wanking. maybe some major scales, if I'm feeling extra adventurous.
mine these days tend to be mostly sweeps, with lots of alternate picked line between. with lots of bends to rest very little pentatonic
E minor scale intervals + any harmonic ftw
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Archaon
Try to balance out the techniques you use. Use bends, sweeps, taps, slides, shred runs, etc.

But the best advice I could give you is to practice. Download a couple of jam tracks and solo over them.

Can you suggest some please?

I use the odd frets, as in 3, 5, 7... but i are really a n00b at soloing...

so JAM TRAXXX!!!
I use my left hand to fret the notes.
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill
You know, if you, Silent Deftone and I get together.. We'd be unstoppable at the night clubs.

Quote by rorythefaggot
I use my pick to pluck the strings.

Quote by rorythefaggot
I use my left hand to fret the notes.

Weirdo.
I never do bends cause I'm not good enough at them, yet.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Mine are sometimes improvised, but usually meticulously built on powertab over a rythym that I've come up with.

Usually my rythyms under solos are just ringing chords, and sometimes just muted variations on something earlier in the song. Normally I'll start out with a couple of chords, then get the idea of how the solo will start, then see where both are going together and find out what chords should be played next under teh melodic ideas I have.

Usually I'll have a fairly good balance of slides and bends, but I tend to tremolo pick and do alot of unison bends in my improvised solos. My written ones though use sweeps to lead into vibratoed or bent notes, or a new melodic line, and slides are just used for position shifts or to emphasize a note (like with my sweeps). Other times I'll use a slight whammy bar dip to make a crazy sound, or do pinch harmonics on the high strings, higher up on the neck.

I try to work with scales and modes that I'm vaguely familiar with, but I end up hitting alot of chord tones and just going with whatever sounds good over the chords that are being played.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Soloing ≠ improvisation. Kay? One "solos" by "playing alone and/or predominant relative to the rest of the ensemble". One "improvises" by "actually knowing how to play music".
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
I use the odd frets, as in 3, 5, 7... but i are really a n00b at soloing...

my advice would be to stop doing that and learn the notes and then some scales
Sig space available, give me some praise
Fast Blues licks w/ lots o' pinch harmonics usu. followed by a fast run down the scale (for minor stuff)
Obligatory Gear List
Ibanez S2170SE Prestige
Epi LP Std w/ SDs
Morley Bad Horsie
Mesa Stiletto ACE 2x12
EHX Small Clone
Line 6 DL4
ISP Decimator
Guild Acoustic
My Band
My Youtube Channel
Sometimes, I fret a note with a finger on my left hand, having already fretted a note lower down the neck. This is called a hammer-on.
derp

Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by Dance_of_Death
I do too many bends

lol, do they sound good? I always miss the damn note. usually undershooting it.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
basic pentatonic wankery and bend like a maniac...
--F-F-T-S---
--EbOla----
---name pending?--

Quote by PlayMadness
No. Everybody dies. And one day, given that your relationship doesn't crash and burn like so many do, one of you will end up deep in sorrow while watching the other one die.

i dont slide much, i'm a bender [whatever]. and i use lots of hammering on. and the type of lick that goes:

1 2 3 4 2 3 4 5 3 4 5 6 etc.
Quote by jammoe
Soloing ≠ improvisation. Kay? One "solos" by "playing alone and/or predominant relative to the rest of the ensemble". One "improvises" by "actually knowing how to play music".

I improvise my solos...
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
yeah, that happens
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Last edited by dudetheman at Nov 18, 2007,
Yeah I stay in the pentatonic scale, probably more than I should.

I just recently learned more shapes so I can move around the fret board.

I also bend a lot.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by MedicreDemon
lol, do they sound good? I always miss the damn note. usually undershooting it.

I spent 2 weeks working on bends so now can bend to any pitch from 1/4 to 2 but now i do way to many cause of that

now i'm working on pinch harmonics (hope i don't turn out like Zakk Wylde)
learn keys.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
i fancy myself quite a good soloer. I mix pentatonic, blues, usually dorian, mixolydian, and aeolian major, lots of arpeggios. I'm kind of a bad sweeper tho. gotta get better at that. I do lots of legattos and runs up and down the scale. I also try to do lots of string skipping and move up and down the neck a lot. I'm also addicted to tapping. gotta stop...Needless to say, I have a very healthy amount of self-esteem.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
I try my best to mimic alot of licks that Kirk Hammett and Slash do.
MY GEAR:
Custom Flying V
Dunlop 535q
Marshall AVT HS
I play as fast as I can up and down major scales then throw down of the few sweeping patterns I know. Or just pentatonic stuff, depends.
lots of bends, hammer ons and pull offs, and those things where you bend/pull off, whatever you'd call that. i'm lame. i wish i could sweep.
I tend to use a lot of natural and harmonic minor, plus some tapping, and sweeps. A lot of legato playing, and some pentatonic.
Page 1 of 2