Poll: Which one's better?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which one's better?
DeliriumBassist's Harmony in Motion
31 78%
Funkadude's Bass Wars 3!
9 23%
Voters: 40.
O.k, leave some helpful crit, vote on the music and playing, NOT RECORDING QUALITY!! Just because Ben didn't use a MIDI (Neither did Matt, but...) don't give him a crap rating. O.k, ready, set, BASS!

Deliriumbassist's Harmony in Motion!

Vs.

Funkadude's Bass Wars 3!

Poll closes in three days, may the best song win!
Wow that's really good Delirium, if it wasn't myself up against you i'd deffiently vote for you song.
The battle cry of our brothern "Down with homework! Up with Miniskirts!" Viva la resistance!
Right, I guess I get to give the first piece of critique in this particular competition.

Funkadude: I like it. You took a good, solid idea and extended it. However, there was not enough variation in the piece, and I personally felt that it was extended out for far too long. Too much of a good thing is bad. Maybe more changes in the rhythm of the piece, or a key change would have been nice.

Deliriumbassist: Very pretty, very nice. Again, not enough variation to keep it incredibly interesting (though I can hardly talk after my piece...). As a chill-out piece, fantastic! But as an actual song, I doubt it would work as well. But I'll reiterate that it's a beautiful piece of bass work, well done.

As such, I'm going for Ben's piece on this one.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I voted for Ben's, I found both a little tiresome towards the end though (probably because I'm tired myself but oh well). Matt, yours is good but I think it would lend itself better to a bassline in a band setting whereas Ben's sits much better as a solo.

Also, Ben yours seems better thought out as a piece, Matt I got a little feeling that yours was lots of little ideas you had that you tried to make fit together to make one song rather than using one idea and developing it.

Ben my main crit for yours is that it didn't keep me gripped for the whole thing I lost interest after a while but still, very nice bass playing.

Both very good pieces though and congrats to both of you whoever wins.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I voted for Ben, because that was better imo. Although I has some crit for both.

Ben - A great main idea but it didn't go much anywhere. I kept checking to see how much longer there was left till I got to the end rather than the how much more I've got left to enjoy. And imo the ending would have worked better without resolution, ie kept it hanging on the penultimate note, but thats just personal opinion.

Funkadude - There were timing issues there, you'd keep the beat and then suddenly lose part of the measure or add a bit more on. Whether this was intentional or not I don't know, but if it was it sure didn't seem it, there was no flow to changes of time. If you were playing that rubato however, that didn't come across at all either. Also the opening section doesn't really work as a solo section, it really needs something else on top of it.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Odd, considering it was completely improved, and was first take, lol

In a way though I think that's better because you will start with one idea and develop it throughout the song, rather than think up a lot of different ideas and try to force them together.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Well, that was obviously Stolen Moments. I was wondering why Matt asked to borrow my music. Though you did some very improv on it, because that sounds (note wise) nothing like it. But you did add in a few notes through out it, and you solo section was extended way beyond what it should've been, and you didn't stick to the right time and key changes in it. Overall though it gave me a good feel, and if you would've overlayed it with a solo track, it would've been a much better peice.

Delirium- Not much variation, like Sinan I was waiting for it to be over. If you cut out the drag, and threw it in as an interlude into a song, it would be very succesful. And because you did it in one take, I'm going to have to say bravo. You have my vote.
I've voted Delirium on this one. There's not much to crit on this track, for me. Could've done with a bit more tempo, and a bit more con brio. Not particularly exciting tho: solid I'd say. (Good quiet recording, and a nice tone too.)

Funkadude. What can I say? Reminds me of Alan Hutton's game on Saturday evening (one for the Scots here...lol); all over the pitch, trying everything, never giving up. But no goal.

C'mon tho; other than Okonkole's track in the last round, nothing's actually moved me all that much. Fireworks please? Burning fretboards? Ahh well...well done both, and all the best.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Honestly, Funkadude's made me want to fall asleep

+1

Yeah... Sorry dude...
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
I voted for Funkadude.

I thought Delirium's piece was a little more well thought out, arranged, and even played more smoothly. However, I found Funkadude's piece had a lot of good ideas towards the middle and it kept me interested.

So, points to Delirium for arrangement and precise playing. Points to Funkadude for good ideas and creativity.
Ben, good stuff. I quite liked it. It was very smooth and airy. I agree, that there could be some more ideas in there. What I did like, was the build-ups. What I didn't like, was you didn't do anything with the build-ups. You would build-up, and then tear it down. Build-up... tear it down. When I hear a build-up I want it to explode out of the gate. It's like a horse who's all raring to get out of the gate, and then just starts to walk out casually when the start gun sounds. Disappointing in that respect, but other than that I quite enjoyed.

Matt, honestly, I didn't like that at all. It didn't come from anywhere, it didn't have anything going on at the present, and went nowhere. It seemed like you were doing a couple scale studies, and then... it ended. Poor attempt.

CreepingJesus, if you don't like any of the entries why don't you jump in? Maybe you could show us that it is possible to make a decent bassline in a few days. I know personally, my playing has always been geared toward a band setting, and never toward showing off chops, or solo ideas. I can make a smokin' groove with a drummer to bounce ideas off of, but without the drummer, and a melodic instrument, it would be quite boring. That's what makes this contest difficult, and I honestly think you're expecting too much out of it.
Quote by Smidgelton
I voted for Funkadude.

I thought Delirium's piece was a little more well thought out, arranged, and even played more smoothly. However, I found Funkadude's piece had a lot of good ideas towards the middle and it kept me interested.

So, points to Delirium for arrangement and precise playing. Points to Funkadude for good ideas and creativity.

Pitty vote....

Anywho, I'll go crazy on the next one, we're talking hitting the neck with everything from poptarts, to Jazzy's Maple syrup Bacon!
I went for Delirium, there was some buzz on Funkadude's, and it just seemed like you were playing ascending and descending crotchets for way too long imo, it did get better, but there were some timing issues there.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
As it happens, I put myself forward for BW2; but personal circumstances dictated I had neither the time nor the will to do it. I've sat this one out, 'cos I still wasn't feeling up to it. I will be in the next one tho', whenever it happens.
Writing a solo bass piece for me isn't a problem: 48 hours is plenty enough. However I have no more or less chance of success than anyone else. Play to win, yes, but the will of the people can be a fickle thing!
I applaud all the combatants for entering the arena. Again, well done to one and all. Am I so unrealistic in expecting the occasional gem of a track tho'? Everyone's got one in them, I believe!
In all fairness, there seems to be a little bit of grey area involving what to write... I was under the initial impression that Bass Wars is basically a solo bass writing competition, but all this stuff about "but as a song, I don't think it'll fit" kinda stuff... I dunno.
Your suppose to write a three minute song. So you can either go crazy with some wicked awesome solo stuff, or inversly actually write a song. The solo stuff is easier for shorter time limits, the song's easier for longer time limits. It's best if the two combatants talk with each other and write something similiar.
The way I'd read the rules, lead me to think I might submit a three part work - drum and 2xbass. Would that hypothetical track have been ok, or did I misunderstand?

The idea of getting the protagonists together to agree outline tracks has its' merits, at the risk of people playing 'psyche' with each other! Better maybe to have the audience suggest style, tempo, key etc., like in "Whose Line Is It Anyway"?