people (mainly bassists) say to get into the groove when playing, you need to find 'the pocket'.

what is it? ive read books and articles and they dont actually say what the pocket is, but simply how important it is.

help!

thanks.
i need to get a better signature.
The sonic space between the drums and chord instruments. Listen to something with the bass in, then listen to the same thing without the bass in, you'll hear the "pocket".
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
the "pocket" occurs when the bassist and the drummer syncronize to form the groove. this is the foundation that all other band members "ride" on. hope that helps!
It's the spot that everything just kind of works. It's the cosmic centre of musicality. There seems to be this hole between the drums and a melodic instrument that screams for some kind of bass. That's the spot you fill. And when you fill it right, it's a combination of locking in with the drummer, playing a kickass rhythm, and having your notes right on. When all those things come together, it's cosmic.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It's the spot that everything just kind of works. It's the cosmic centre of musicality. There seems to be this hole between the drums and a melodic instrument that screams for some kind of bass. That's the spot you fill. And when you fill it right, it's a combination of locking in with the drummer, playing a kickass rhythm, and having your notes right on. When all those things come together, it's cosmic.

PROOF that bass guitar=drugs

and man am I addicted.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke