I just bought an Agile AL-2000 to fulfill my LP-needs at the moment, and I am going to swap out my pickups here in a couple of weeks. I play mostly classic/hard/blues-rock (stuff like Zeppelin, Skynyrd, ZZ Top, some Guns 'N Roses, Hanoi Rocks, Aerosmith, and the like) and was looking for something with a little higher output in the bridge, but still keeping a vintage, bluesy tone in the neck. My current thought is the Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and an SD AlNiCo II Pro in the neck. Anything else I need to consider? Will this combo work nicely? I'm looking to spend less than ~$175 US.
My Gear:

Agile AL-2000 (Tiger-Eye)
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer [Keeley Modded]
veto on the jb.

you could consider a '59 in the neck instead of the al II pro- pretty much preference as to which you prefer.

not too sure about the bridge. i haven't really tried any bridge duncans i like, but i'm guessing a '59 in the bridge, maybe a custom 5?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why the veto? Too harsh? I can kinda hear where the JB could be harsh, but to get a nasty, blues-rock tone I'd need some harshness, right?
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
I think that would be a great combination. One thing people tend to ignore is the effect of the tone capacitor- you'll notice that the tone knobs right are pretty useless at any setting below 8 (or worse). A pair of Orange drop capacitors is probably the best $2 you can spend on your tone.
You can get them online (http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=534), otherwise good techs tend to have some on hand.
it's got a big mid-spike, is way too hot, and sounds very nasal. it's also prone to mud too, even though it sounds a bit bright/trebly/thin at the same time.

it's just not a great pickup for that les paul tone, if you ask me- it's probably decent enough that if one comes stock you don't need to immediately rush out and swap it (like in my edwards), but if you have a choice, as you do, i'd advise you strongly to reconsider, unless you've tried one and it does the tone you have in your head...

it's way too hot for blues rock, unless you consider, i dunno, megadeth blues rock.

EDIT: ^ yeah, that's possible, roc. That being said, I've tried other pickups still with stock electronics which sound way better than a JB. And (please correct me if I'm wrong) better quality tone pots aren't going to improve the "way too hot" problem, right? Granted the volume control can come into play, but I still prefer (as do most others, i think) the sound of everything on 10, even with nice electronics...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Nov 18, 2007,
Roc: Why would this be a great combination? I'm just wanting some more insight here on the JB.

Dave: Well, for the majority of my blues-rock I'll be using the neck/middle positions anyway. Is it really that bad? I usually keep my mids pretty high for what I play anyway, so I don't think the mid-spike would be a huge deal. Have you played a JB in a Les Paul? My guitar teacher is a big fan of the JB, but he has his in a PRS. I like the tone he gets, but the PRS could be a major factor in that as well.
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
have you touched the POLE PIECES on the Jb? they really do a lot to tailor the sound to your guitar. once adjusted you can get anything from killer jazz, to blues, to metal by working the volume knob.

the treble spike is usually moaned about by people who havent bothered to do the aforementioned. put it this way, ive heard a JB sound fat and full in a solid maple guitar. its been around for a reason.
^ So I could get a nice classic rock crunch with simple pole piece adjustments on the JB?
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
lay off the preamp gain and roll off a touch of volume and it does nice classic rock.
a dimarzio norton or if you want something hotter a super distortion would give you the tone you are looking for
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
^^I've never been much for Dimarzio pickups. A friend of mine has some in his Ibanez and I thought they sounded stale (for lack of a better word).

^Meh... I wasn't a big fan of the pearly gates.
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
OK, concerning the JB:
I suppose I should preface by saying that I've got a SD custom shop version of the JB in my guitar, not a standard JB. I have tried a bunch of pickups in this and my other guitars, and here's my take on LP pickups:
I've found that a low-output pickup in the bridge does not allow me enough dynamic range- I like being able to go from clean to OD with just the amp, which is not really possible with low output, since it requires turning amp gain up or using a pedal, which tends to kill the clean tone when picked lightly)
So, among the bridge pickups I've used: Gibson 498T, Pearly Gates, Custom PAF clone (APC), and Custom shop JB, I like the JB best. I'm using a slightly larger cap value ('50's bumblebee, .034 uf) to roll off some of the highs. The JB does have a strong midrange, but it's not a 'spike' if you adjust pole pieces correctly. As far as 'way too hot,' that's also personal preference, but with a low output pickup in the neck you should be able to mix neck and bridge or use just the neck for a good clean tone.

Dave- good pots won't help if a pickup is too hot for your taste (lowering them will), but usually it's the treble response that's an issue when turning the volume down on a hot pickup. Again, a good set of tone caps should remedy that. Have you tried orange drops, or older black beauty/bumblebee/ paper in oil caps? I'm asking because I have yet to see a guitar under $3000 that didn't need a cap change. Nice pots are one thing, but good electronics should sound good through the whole range- and I have yet to meet a stock production guitar that has that, since none of them use decent tone caps.
^ Thanks for the help Roc. I'll likely be getting the JB and a cap change.
My Gear:

Ibanez Acoustic/Electric

Peavey Rage 158
Quote by CaveatLector
Dave: Well, for the majority of my blues-rock I'll be using the neck/middle positions anyway. Is it really that bad? I usually keep my mids pretty high for what I play anyway, so I don't think the mid-spike would be a huge deal. Have you played a JB in a Les Paul? My guitar teacher is a big fan of the JB, but he has his in a PRS. I like the tone he gets, but the PRS could be a major factor in that as well.

it might be ok for neck/middle, yeah.

I have one in an edwards les paul.

Quote by TehJermie
have you touched the POLE PIECES on the Jb? they really do a lot to tailor the sound to your guitar. once adjusted you can get anything from killer jazz, to blues, to metal by working the volume knob.

the treble spike is usually moaned about by people who havent bothered to do the aforementioned. put it this way, ive heard a JB sound fat and full in a solid maple guitar. its been around for a reason.

No, I haven't got round to touching the POLE PIECES yet, I'm lazy.

Your "it's been around for a reason" argument, though, is moot as the specs have changed at least twice since its inception.

Quote by Roc8995
(a) OK, concerning the JB:
I suppose I should preface by saying that I've got a SD custom shop version of the JB in my guitar, not a standard JB. I have tried a bunch of pickups in this and my other guitars, and here's my take on LP pickups:
I've found that a low-output pickup in the bridge does not allow me enough dynamic range- I like being able to go from clean to OD with just the amp, which is not really possible with low output, since it requires turning amp gain up or using a pedal, which tends to kill the clean tone when picked lightly)
So, among the bridge pickups I've used: Gibson 498T, Pearly Gates, Custom PAF clone (APC), and Custom shop JB, I like the JB best. I'm using a slightly larger cap value ('50's bumblebee, .034 uf) to roll off some of the highs. The JB does have a strong midrange, but it's not a 'spike' if you adjust pole pieces correctly. As far as 'way too hot,' that's also personal preference, but with a low output pickup in the neck you should be able to mix neck and bridge or use just the neck for a good clean tone.

(b) Dave- good pots won't help if a pickup is too hot for your taste (lowering them will), but usually it's the treble response that's an issue when turning the volume down on a hot pickup. Again, a good set of tone caps should remedy that. Have you tried orange drops, or older black beauty/bumblebee/ paper in oil caps? I'm asking because I have yet to see a guitar under $3000 that didn't need a cap change. Nice pots are one thing, but good electronics should sound good through the whole range- and I have yet to meet a stock production guitar that has that, since none of them use decent tone caps.

(a) ah, that's different.

(b) i know about the treble bleed mod... my edwards could definitely use one, haha. But i still prefer the sound of a pickup on full (of course that's preference), and to me the JB is too hot for that- it's hotter than my miracle man!

I could be way off here, but to me the JB is both too muddy and too bright (and too honky)- could messing with the PP's fix that? to me, it sounds like to fix one would make the others even worse.

As I said, I could be wrong.

And I haven't even messed with the PP's yet, you think I've changed pots? try asking in 2015, and I might have got round to it...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?