1)What's the best way to take the pickups out and put them back in, with no damage to them?
2)What paint should I use?
3)How should I go about suspending the body so it's not on top of anything, making the paint stick to whatever is below it?
4)It's going to be an EVH paint job on a Squire Strat, what's the best tape width to use?
5) Is there anything I need to know when disassembling the guitar? (Removing the neck and such)

PLX AND THX. haha seriously, I'd really appreciate some help.
Sorry - I hate pestering and bumping... I really need help, I'm starting Saturday. Is there any recommendations for masking to get three colors?
well, if its a squire strat, just unscrep the pickguard and the pickups will come out with it... then carefully pull the ground wire out of under the bridge or wherever it is at.

any spray paint will be good, just buy the same brand on all three colors.

i usually just lay the body on newspaper when painting... but you could tie it to the ceiling of your shop or something else so it will be about eye level if you so choose. put the string through one of the neck screw holes.

i would use a few different widths... all will work just as well, this is just a personal prefference.

not really, just dont go at it like a maniac.
Sweet thanks man. Do you have any ideas on how to get all three colors? I'm not sure how to take it that far, I know I should do it brightest to darkest colors, but I have no idea how to mask to get the black stripes in. (Paint white, tape off white stripes, paint red) then i'd have my red and white, but it'd be a lot of work to mask everything off for that.
just thought of this...

how about you paint one third white, then one third red, then one third black, then mask and spray a different color on each of the thirds... eg. black on red, white on red, white on black.... ill do a paint to show you what i mean,.
Well, EVH sprayed it black, then taped and sprayed it white. This yielded a white guitar with black stripes. He then taped again (after an album and tour if i'm not mistaken) and covered it in red. Resulting in a red guitar with black and white stripes. Just make sure to give proper drying time before applying the tape. Just from my personal experience (finishing a parts caster right now) I would highly recomend duplicolor acrylic lacquer (good replacement for the schwin bicycle paint EVH used). To paint mine, I used a wire coat hanger and suspended it from a small tree (this enabled me to walk around it). As far as things to keep in mind when taking it apart, you might wanna lable which screw was where when you take off the neck, sometimes they have their little quirks and may not be flush when you try to put it back on. Also, when removing the bridge (assuming its a trem and not a hard tail) take the springs off before unscrewing the plate in back, if you dont all the force will be put on one screw and might strip out the hole (happened to my friend). Other than that just have fun with it, use your head, and take lots of pics for the site.

it would look better if i spent more time on it, but something along those lines would be cool

and join the idaho residents group threadstarter!!!!!!! whoo 6 of us idahoans now!
Quote by idahoimmortal
1)What's the best way to take the pickups out and put them back in, with no damage to them?
3)How should I go about suspending the body so it's not on top of anything, making the paint stick to whatever is below it?
4)It's going to be an EVH paint job on a Squire Strat, what's the best tape width to use?
5) Is there anything I need to know when disassembling the guitar? (Removing the neck and such)

1) If you're unsure how to take a guitar apart, are you really sure you want to try to refinish one?
Usually I'd just desolder them at the pickup selector/volume pot and unscrew them from their mountings... but since you're using a Strat you won't need to remove the pickups anyway!
2) Depends what kind of finish you want, but almost all types of 'paint' are totally inappropriate....You really haven't thought this through, have you?
You can get away with spray-painting the body and then covering it with a few clearcoats.
3) A coat-hanger through one of holes in the neck pocket does the trick nicely.
4) Trial and error on a bit of cardboard is the best way to find out.
5) Not really. Try and match up all the screws to their original holes if possible, and don't lose anything!

Good luck anyway, and be sure to post the results when you're done!
ive used many different types of paint.. it shouldnt matter what paint you use. just use the same brand.
and what kind of a name is idaho?
is that your first name? lol, im sorry, but i didnt know that was a people name.
lol it's a nickname... My first name is that of girl child star... so it stays Idaho. Unless she gets hot.
Is there a way to make the neck look white like ebony and then get that burn that he has?
Quote by TonyRandall
you mean look white like ivory?...

i dont know.

is your name hannah, by any chance? lolol

Nope. She's not huge right now. She will be again though... ack...
Quote by idahoimmortal
5) Is there anything I need to know when disassembling the guitar? (Removing the neck and such).

1. Buy a $12 soldering kit from RadioShack. Practice soldering and de-soldering for an hour and you'll do well. Don't cut or pull the wires, de-solder! Make sure you write down or take pics of the wiring. Pay attention to the screws and springs that hold the PUs to the pickguard.
2. Acrylic (Krylon or Duplicolor) spraycan for the sanding sealer/primer, the colorcoat, and clearcoat. You want to go old school, Nitro from ReRanch comes in spraycans.
3. Suspend using a coat hanger through the neck heel hole.
4. Search the forum, lots of links to how to do a 5150.
5. Read page 1 of the Ultimate Refinishing sticky. Page 1 has all the links that you need. Read each at least 3X, when you think you got it, rad them again.

Good Luck!

Quote by idahoimmortal
Nope. She's not huge right now. She will be again though... ack...

wtf is your name than?

lol, good luck with the paint.
My name is Dakota. I like Idaho a lot better "Idaho Immortal" is my nickname and To Kill an Immortal is my band name, they flow together well. I do a little bit of a solo project, and I've DJ'd parties before, and I have a DJ name for that though, my initials are DJC so I go by "DJ, See?" and I didn't get a PM from you Echoe09.
Last edited by idahoimmortal at Nov 19, 2007,
F U C K then that must mean no one gets my PM's but its reall helpfull info if you give me email address ill send you the stuff.

I have done a couple paintjobs before and i have some advice that i can share