So some tube amps only have one channel like some of the crates. Whats the point of having just one channel? What do you do if you want cleans at high volumes? If you keep the gain turned down, you won't get the same volume, am I right? I geuss I'm confused.
My Gear:

Fender 62 RI Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Fender Supersonic
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss OS-2 OD/DS
Martin 000-28
Washburn D10s
I've used some 3-channel amps that had a gain control for thje cleans. I just turned down the gain, and kept the volume up, and was able to get some decent cleans.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
Quote by swervin
So some tube amps only have one channel like some of the crates. Whats the point of having just one channel? What do you do if you want cleans at high volumes? If you keep the gain turned down, you won't get the same volume, am I right? I geuss I'm confused.

It just means you have to use the volume control on your guitar a lot, you don't need 2 channels it's just a luxury!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Say your using one of those Marshall vintage moderns. Their 100watt and single channel. You can use and overdrive pedal to get your rhythm and push the amp, and EQ to get you solo tones, and turn them both off and roll back your volume knob to get cleans. This approach works wonders for classic rock and blues tones.

With metal a single channel is most likely just a one trick pony: boost the front end like crazy and get some serious crunch. With high output pickups, overdrive, and EQs and all that, itisnt that conducive to getting a clean sound. Tommy Iommi uses a single channel and I think Paul Gilbert does as well. Slash uses the Marshall vintage modern also.
Quote by Bossman123
It just means you have to use the volume control on your guitar a lot, you don't need 2 channels it's just a luxury!!

NOOO

I need a 16 channel triple rectifier to play my A7x!!!!
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by hamish5178
NOOO

I need a 16 channel triple rectifier to play my A7x!!!!

HAHA fair enuf, everyone to their own i guess. I know that if i had that many channels i'd get way to technical when i'm playing live!

EDIT: Wait, you were being sarcastic...i'm an idiot!!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by JohnnyLovesYou
Say your using one of those Marshall vintage moderns. Their 100watt and single channel. You can use and overdrive pedal to get your rhythm and push the amp, and EQ to get you solo tones, and turn them both off and roll back your volume knob to get cleans. This approach works wonders for classic rock and blues tones.

With metal a single channel is most likely just a one trick pony: boost the front end like crazy and get some serious crunch. With high output pickups, overdrive, and EQs and all that, itisnt that conducive to getting a clean sound. Tommy Iommi uses a single channel and I think Paul Gilbert does as well. Slash uses the Marshall vintage modern also.

Paul gilbert uses a channel switcher, so i'm assuming he has more than one channel.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by swervin

With a powerful one channel amp getting loud cleans is not the problem. Getting quiet overdrive is.
Yeah the down side to the one channel amps is to get heavy overdrive tones you gotta turn it way up, for my amp I have it cranked and then if i need cleans(really slight breakup actually) just turn my guitar volume knob down and it works good, and since i've got a 5watter i don't blow out my eardrums.
The VHT Deliverance can do some really nice cleans with the simple roll of the volume knob on the guitar, but that's just what I hear.

With my Windsor, I can roll down the guitar volume, flip to a single coil neck pickup, and turn off my Bad Monkey and I have good enough cleans for how much cleans I use.

And by cleans, I mean a 20 second intro to one song.
So yeah, I guess they're not that important to me.

But like someone above said, single channel amps are probably more pedal-friendly.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

my amp. one channel. clean all the way up. adds a beautiful flavor to any drive pedals i add.
all i need.
Quote by feltgrape
Paul gilbert uses a channel switcher, so i'm assuming he has more than one channel.

Yeah, I was looking around at his gear. I've seen him using 1 channel laneys, 2 channel laneys, 1 channel marshals, a JVM 4 channel marshal. So yeah... I guess it just depends.

Also, coming from a rack user, while having a huge array of tones and effects to choose from with my Rocktron is great; sometimes its nice just to go play through a single channel like a valve junior or go to guitar center and play their vintage modern (before they tell me to turn it the hell down).

Simplicity is great.